Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticky wet eye

Default Sticky wet eye

Hi everyone. Hope all your buns are enjoying the sunshine!
    I've noticed that one of my bun's eyes is all wet - when I touched the surrounding fur it was very sticky with a clear gunky liquid. His other eye seems fine and the eyeball itself isn't red or anything. He usually gets crusty bits in the corners of his eyes which I just gently brush away if they are quite big but this is the first time I've noticed it being wet and sticky. Any advice?
    Thanks in advance

Warren Scout

Hi Lauren25,

It could be the start of blocked tear duct my rabbit has them, he has had them flushed out in the he past but the last time it didn’t work so I have to cleaned them everyday with cooled boiled water cotton pad and cotton wool.

Or it could be the start of an eye infection. I would get it checked out at the vets

R.I.P Fudge and Thumper ~ 2007-2011 (miss you both so much xx)

Thank you! I'll get it checked

I've had a closer look and it seems that his tear duct is slightly swollen and pink. You can see more flesh around the tear duct than you can in his other eye and the fur surrounding it is wet. But the other eye is also slightly crusty - is this normal or is this a sign of an infection/blocked tear duct? Should I just simply wipe his eye with the cooled boiling water and do this with the other (with a different cotton pad) to remove the crustiness as well as the gunk? I just don't want to hurt him!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren25 View Post
    I've had a closer look and it seems that his tear duct is slightly swollen and pink. You can see more flesh around the tear duct than you can in his other eye and the fur surrounding it is wet. But the other eye is also slightly crusty - is this normal or is this a sign of an infection/blocked tear duct? Should I just simply wipe his eye with the cooled boiling water and do this with the other (with a different cotton pad) to remove the crustiness as well as the gunk? I just don't want to hurt him!

Yes, bathe them both in the same way, as you suggest.

If it doesn't clear up though, as Anna says, it's best to get a vet to have a look as he might need antibiotic eye drops
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

You can gently bathe both eyes as you describe, but I would get your Rabbit checked over by a Vet as 'runny eyes' (Dacryocystitis) can be caused by other issues as well as 'just' infection

Some information here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_dis...Runny_eyes.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...itisRabbit.htm

Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

Just a thought, Lauren - what does the eye look like if you gently lift up the lid?

Thanks everyone! I bathed both eyes and he seemed to like it, bless him. He is so sweet. I'm really hoping he may have just had something irritating his eye and that it clears up, but if it doesn't over the next few days I will 100% book a vets appointment. I've only just rehomed him and I've already had him to the vets five times for his skin! Thankfully that's all cleared up now.
    I gently lifted his lid and the upper waterline is very pink and it is a crescent shape with almost a little bit missing in the middle, like a little dip in the curve of his waterline. At first I thought he had a sty or something but I compared this to the other eye and it was similar. I'm assuming this is just the shape of rabbits' eyelids - it's probably a very poor description on my behalf. The eyeball itself seems fine. The only noticeable difference is the pink/redness in his tear duct and the fact that it looks ever so slightly swollen. I have noticed since getting him that his eyes are always crusty in the inner corners but I thought that was pretty normal.

Thanks everyone! I bathed both eyes and he seemed to like it, bless him. He is so sweet. I'm really hoping he may have just had something irritating his eye and that it clears up, but if it doesn't over the next few days I will 100% book a vets appointment. I've only just rehomed him and I've already had him to the vets five times for his skin! Thankfully that's all cleared up now.
    I gently lifted his lid and the upper waterline is very pink and it is a crescent shape with almost a little bit missing in the middle, like a little dip in the curve of his waterline. At first I thought he had a sty or something but I compared this to the other eye and it was similar. I'm assuming this is just the shape of rabbits' eyelids - it's probably a very poor description on my behalf. The eyeball itself seems fine. The only noticeable difference is the pink/redness in his tear duct and the fact that it looks ever so slightly swollen. I have noticed since getting him that his eyes are always crusty in the inner corners but I thought that was pretty normal.

A crusty eye is quite common in rabbits, but not normal. Bathing is a good way to go.

I'm sorry you've had him to the vets already for skin issues. Remind me where you rehomed him from?

Thanks MightyMax, I'll carry on bathing. I rehomed him from someone on Facebook - he is very distant mutual friend but I don't know him personally. Seemed a nice enough person but didn't have time for him and wanted him to have a better life. Think he was left outside in a hutch by himself most of the times - not in the worst conditions but certainly not the best. He had bought him from gumtree. I think he had a lot of homes previous to that and I'm not sure of his age but would guess around 2 y/o. He has so much love to give, it breaks my heart to think of him being anywhere else but with me!