• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emphysema

Update:

Tried the Prednicare for 2 weeks and some days we thought he looked a bit better, other days just as he was without it. Been very hard to judge if its had any positive effect or not, and the weather has added to the difficulty because the warmer days make it worse for Jasper despite any medications. Vet said if I was struggling to tell then it probably wasn't helping that much, but maybe I've stared at him that much I don't even know anymore :( And I guess I don't even know what an improvement is supposed to look like other than slower, steadier breathing?! Anyway it was decided we go the bank holiday weekend just on the corvental and try to figure out if he looked worse without the prednicare.
And the verdict is... I've still no idea. I'm driving myself insane trying to figure it out, one minute he looks relatively relaxed and his breathing is slower, then the next he's very 'bouncy' and his little body looks more like its throbbing again.
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!
Now I'm thinking maybe its better to go back on it, in case it is helping ease him, even on those bad, hot days and I just can't tell. But then I think what if its doing harm to him that I cant see? Because the vet said steroids could make it worse too! I cant cope with this weight of making the right decision without having anything concrete to help me.

:cry:

I am so sorry to hear this, and that you're in such a dilemma over what you should do.

I think you should present your dilemma to your vet and let him help you make the decision. If necessary write him an email and ask him to ring you, or else ask him to call you back when there is time to chat it over.

Hugs for you xxx

I'm so sorry you are in this position with your little bun. I remember being in a very similar situation with my bridge bun Cody and trying to get his meds right and getting in such a state over everything. I so relate to staring at them so much you don't know anymore. But my husband said to me "you are not a vet it is not up to you to decide what to do next on your own, you have to let the vet decide" and that mirrors what MM has said above, we can give the vet all the info and what we have observered and let a most of the responsibility / decision rest with the vet. Now I don't mean we have no say but if we trust our vet we have to trust their advice and come to a decision together, not on your own. Sending hugs, you are doing your very very best for Jasper.

Thank you for the thoughts, hugs and love guys, appreciate it a lot.
I think I'm just feeling a tad vulnerable this week and have whittled about ringing the vet this week to discuss it because I kept playing phone call tennis back and forth with him last week and it took 2-3 days before I actually got to speak to him in the end, and I don't feel like I know what to say again other than I still cant decide how he is...
Time to get a grip and just send an email I think so I can attempt to properly get across how I feel and hope for the best.

On a brighter note, the wet weather today means Jasp is having a pretty good day! Never been so thankful for rain! :)

Thank you for the thoughts, hugs and love guys, appreciate it a lot.
I think I'm just feeling a tad vulnerable this week and have whittled about ringing the vet this week to discuss it because I kept playing phone call tennis back and forth with him last week and it took 2-3 days before I actually got to speak to him in the end, and I don't feel like I know what to say again other than I still cant decide how he is...
Time to get a grip and just send an email I think so I can attempt to properly get across how I feel and hope for the best.

On a brighter note, the wet weather today means Jasp is having a pretty good day! Never been so thankful for rain! :)

Rain on, for Jasper :D

Yes, email the vet your thoughts, and put a deadline on when you want him to make a decision, as it's not fair to keep you and Jasper hanging on. There's nothing worse than waiting for someone to respond when there's something serious at stake, as is here.

Back