Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Emphysema

  1. #11
    Warren Scout Jasperello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi Laura

    I'm really sorry to hear about Jasper. This is so worrying for you, and on top of all that there is returning to the surgery that treated Millie. It's never an easy thing to do, but as they are the most savvy vets around, I would have a word with Craig and explain the situation and how nervous it makes you following on from last time.

    So the course of antibiotics is finished and you are soon due for review. I guess Craig doesn't want to change the abx to perhaps injectable penicillin until he's assessed the situation? Remember a sedation for an X-ray isn't the same as a GA and doesn't post the same risks. I have had rabbits with both upper and lower respiratory issues who've had X-rays and been fine. It does provide a lot of info as to what's going on and will also show whether there's any enlargement of the heart.

    I am sending you loads of vibes and will be thinking of you both, whatever you decide to do

    Hugs xx
    He's one of those REALLY in-demand vets and he never seems to have any appointments or time for a phone call or anything, but I suppose its a good thing that he's so popular, he is the most sought after, qualified and experienced vet around our midlands region. So we haven't had a follow-up chat or visit since we were sent home 3 weeks ago, so I've reached that point now where I'm just desperate for Wednesday so we can hopefully have some sort of information or positive news about Jasper. It's very different going there to going to my primary vets, like you can always speak to the nurse or even the vet sometimes and they ring you to check up on your poorly rabbits or whatnot, so this long, lonely wait hasn't been great for me. But that's what happens with specialists and large vet hospitals I guess.

    Thanks, because I hadn't thought about that re: the sedation. And I've begun to really fret about that especially as his breathing is so bad and has been for what seems like a long time to me now- I just keep thinking how much longer can he go breathing at at least double the rate he should be without getting too tired and just giving up?! 4 weeks seems a long time to keep that up.
    Loved my Millie Moo with all my heart. 10/2/17 was far too early for her to go
    Giving all my bunny mummy love just to Zuccy, Jasper, Lola, Charlie & Poppy now

  2. #12
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasperello View Post
    He's one of those REALLY in-demand vets and he never seems to have any appointments or time for a phone call or anything, but I suppose its a good thing that he's so popular, he is the most sought after, qualified and experienced vet around our midlands region. So we haven't had a follow-up chat or visit since we were sent home 3 weeks ago, so I've reached that point now where I'm just desperate for Wednesday so we can hopefully have some sort of information or positive news about Jasper. It's very different going there to going to my primary vets, like you can always speak to the nurse or even the vet sometimes and they ring you to check up on your poorly rabbits or whatnot, so this long, lonely wait hasn't been great for me. But that's what happens with specialists and large vet hospitals I guess.

    Thanks, because I hadn't thought about that re: the sedation. And I've begun to really fret about that especially as his breathing is so bad and has been for what seems like a long time to me now- I just keep thinking how much longer can he go breathing at at least double the rate he should be without getting too tired and just giving up?! 4 weeks seems a long time to keep that up.

    My thoughts are with you, and will be with Jasper tomorrow

    Sending you loads of strength and hugs, and vibes for the little man xx

  3. #13
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasperello View Post
    He's one of those REALLY in-demand vets and he never seems to have any appointments or time for a phone call or anything, but I suppose its a good thing that he's so popular, he is the most sought after, qualified and experienced vet around our midlands region. So we haven't had a follow-up chat or visit since we were sent home 3 weeks ago, so I've reached that point now where I'm just desperate for Wednesday so we can hopefully have some sort of information or positive news about Jasper. It's very different going there to going to my primary vets, like you can always speak to the nurse or even the vet sometimes and they ring you to check up on your poorly rabbits or whatnot, so this long, lonely wait hasn't been great for me. But that's what happens with specialists and large vet hospitals I guess.

    Thanks, because I hadn't thought about that re: the sedation. And I've begun to really fret about that especially as his breathing is so bad and has been for what seems like a long time to me now- I just keep thinking how much longer can he go breathing at at least double the rate he should be without getting too tired and just giving up?! 4 weeks seems a long time to keep that up.
    Topping up the vibes for Jasper's appointment today. I hope that the outcome is a positive as possible xx



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

    http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

  4. #14
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    9,659

    Default

    Sending lots of vibes xxx

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    I'm doing the Race For Life 5k in aid of Cancer Research on the 8th July. If you'd like to sponsor me, please do at the following link: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.o...e-for-life-204

  5. #15
    Warren Scout Jasperello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Thanks for the positive thoughts and well wishes for today, unfortunately it wasn't a great visit.

    Had a long chat with Craig and he is describing Jasper's condition as Emphysema. He talked about discussions at conferences and research etc. and how its rare or poorly reported and recognised. But he himself has come into contact with rabbits with Jasper's presentation before. The positives end there, if you can even find a positive in that.

    It was decided further x-rays would not be necessary- there has been no improvement at all in his symptoms etc. and there was no expectation for any imaging to show anything we don't already know, and if anything it would just show us he's stayed the same or got worse. That combined with the very real possibility he wouldn't survive the sedation, as Craig put it, led us to abandon plans of doing any more x-rays. The plan now is to add in a steroid as the final medication combination and see how he reacts to it. He has had the PTS conversation with us for when his quality of life is no longer good. For now my Jasp is generally pretty happy still, eating, drinking, hopping around my garden (currently as I type this I'm watching him having a dig in a pile of dirt and chinning some stones...) We've been warned its likely a maximum of months as a best case scenario

    For those interested, and those in the future who may be interested in the treatment:
    The treatment plan is to try to prevent further damage to his lungs and hopefully provide some relief from the worst of the symptoms, using an antibiotic, bronchodilator and steroid as follows:
    Baytril 2.5 % 100ml 1ml once a day
    Corvental 0.25 of 100mg capsule twice a day
    Prednicare 1mg twice a day

    So we'll just take each day as it comes for now.
    Anyone with experience or an interest in emphysema or other lung disorders please feel free to chat with me or others on this thread, lets see if we can turn it into a place for information and guidance because so far it seems rather mysterious and rare or under-reported in rabbits. I'll change the title of the thread too.

    Laura x
    Last edited by Jasperello; 10-05-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: wrong medication dose
    Loved my Millie Moo with all my heart. 10/2/17 was far too early for her to go
    Giving all my bunny mummy love just to Zuccy, Jasper, Lola, Charlie & Poppy now

  6. #16
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasperello View Post
    Thanks for the positive thoughts and well wishes for today, unfortunately it wasn't a great visit.

    Had a long chat with Craig and he is describing Jasper's condition as Emphysema. He talked about discussions at conferences and research etc. and how its rare or poorly reported and recognised. But he himself has come into contact with rabbits with Jasper's presentation before. The positives end there, if you can even find a positive in that.

    It was decided further x-rays would not be necessary- there has been no improvement at all in his symptoms etc. and there was no expectation for any imaging to show anything we don't already know, and if anything it would just show us he's stayed the same or got worse. That combined with the very real possibility he wouldn't survive the sedation, as Craig put it, led us to abandon plans of doing any more x-rays. The plan now is to add in a steroid as the final medication combination and see how he reacts to it. He has had the PTS conversation with us for when his quality of life is no longer good. For now my Jasp is generally pretty happy still, eating, drinking, hopping around my garden (currently as I type this I'm watching him having a dig in a pile of dirt and chinning some stones...) We've been warned its likely a maximum of months as a best case scenario

    For those interested, and those in the future who may be interested in the treatment:
    The treatment plan is to try to prevent further damage to his lungs and hopefully provide some relief from the worst of the symptoms, using an antibiotic, bronchodilator and steroid as follows:
    Baytril 2.5 % 100ml 1ml once a day
    Corvental 0.25 of 100mg capsule twice a day
    Prednicare 1mg once a day

    So we'll just take each day as it comes for now.
    Anyone with experience or an interest in emphysema or other lung disorders please feel free to chat with me or others on this thread, lets see if we can turn it into a place for information and guidance because so far it seems rather mysterious and rare or under-reported in rabbits. I'll change the title of the thread too.

    Laura x
    Oh bless him. Well obviously the diagnosis is not great news, but the treatment he is now on could well bring about a significant improvement in the severity of his symptoms. I had a Rabbit with a similar diagnosis and whilst he could not be cured a treatment regime which included a corticosteroid enabled him to enjoy a good quality of life for at least 10 months from initial diagnosis.

    It is hard for us as we know what the problem is and that it is terminal. But the effected Rabbit does not know any of that and as long as they are feeling OK within themselves then as far as they are concerned there is absolutely nothing wrong.

    I hope that every day will be as good as possible for Jasper, he will always be living in the moment and not bothered about any 'what ifs'. Doing that may be harder for you, I completely empathise with that fact xx



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

    http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

  7. #17
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasperello View Post
    Thanks for the positive thoughts and well wishes for today, unfortunately it wasn't a great visit.

    Had a long chat with Craig and he is describing Jasper's condition as Emphysema. He talked about discussions at conferences and research etc. and how its rare or poorly reported and recognised. But he himself has come into contact with rabbits with Jasper's presentation before. The positives end there, if you can even find a positive in that.

    It was decided further x-rays would not be necessary- there has been no improvement at all in his symptoms etc. and there was no expectation for any imaging to show anything we don't already know, and if anything it would just show us he's stayed the same or got worse. That combined with the very real possibility he wouldn't survive the sedation, as Craig put it, led us to abandon plans of doing any more x-rays. The plan now is to add in a steroid as the final medication combination and see how he reacts to it. He has had the PTS conversation with us for when his quality of life is no longer good. For now my Jasp is generally pretty happy still, eating, drinking, hopping around my garden (currently as I type this I'm watching him having a dig in a pile of dirt and chinning some stones...) We've been warned its likely a maximum of months as a best case scenario

    For those interested, and those in the future who may be interested in the treatment:
    The treatment plan is to try to prevent further damage to his lungs and hopefully provide some relief from the worst of the symptoms, using an antibiotic, bronchodilator and steroid as follows:
    Baytril 2.5 % 100ml 1ml once a day
    Corvental 0.25 of 100mg capsule twice a day
    Prednicare 1mg once a day

    So we'll just take each day as it comes for now.
    Anyone with experience or an interest in emphysema or other lung disorders please feel free to chat with me or others on this thread, lets see if we can turn it into a place for information and guidance because so far it seems rather mysterious and rare or under-reported in rabbits. I'll change the title of the thread too.

    Laura x

    Hi Laura

    I'm sorry the day wasn't a better one. However, there is now a plan and although the vet gave a pretty poor prognosis, Jasper himself didn't hear that and will carry on being the happy boy you see until it's time to have his forever rest. And I hope he will outlive all the vet's expectations on that score!

    I've had a little rescue rabbit, quite some time ago, with a similar diagnosis to Jasper. He was put on a regime including a corticosteroid and did very well for the time he was with me. Yes it's horrible and sad for us. A loved one leaving us can only be heartbreaking. But I get through these things by enjoying every day, knowing that they feel well in themselves, feel lively and want to eat.

    Don't hesitate to get in touch if I can help more. Hugs to you xx

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •