Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Biting Cage

Default Rabbit Biting Cage

Okay first off all a update on my other post
    They seem to be fine, the running about the cage has calmed down a lot and i now put some grids up across the room and let them both out and that seem to be fine.

Now the cage biting thing. Luna is now starting to obsessively bite her cage.
    I know they need alot of exercise and they both come straight out when I get back from work until I go to bed (6PM-11PM) they're also let out for half hour
    when I get up (5:30AM) since I leave for work around 6ish.
    As soon as she goes back in her cage, she starts to bite and pull on it like a maniac.
    I let them out all day when I have my days off but she does the exact same thing.

I know chewing and digging is a natural instinct for them but any advice on how I can stop or at least calm this down.
    Thanks

Young Bun

I am not an expert on such matters, but whilst we wait for someone else to come along, have you tried offering twigs and sticks for them to chew? Apple, hazel, pear, hawthorn are all popular here

Richard

Hi.

What size is her cage you are putting her away in? Does she do it constantly?

Can you attach a puppy pen to the cage so she has more freedom when you are at work. This is what we do..

Archie does chew our pen, but only when we get home from work. It's his way of saying mum hurry up and let me out so I can play with you... he just likes to be with us.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Does she have plenty of hay to keep her occupied? Does she have somewhere to hid where she can feel safe?

I’ve read from your other thread that they are 120 cm sized cages, so I’m afraid they are much too small without a large run permanently attached and that is why they are bar biting in protest when they are in there. Rabbits need an awful lot of space available to them all the time, the Rwaf recommendation is a minimum of 6ft x 2ft cage with a permanently attached 8ft x 6ft run, giving 60sqft of space. https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...ch-not-enough/

Assuming they are indoors, You could use puppy pens to give them a run around each cage, better still rabbit proof a room each for them to free range in until you can bond them in a neutral territory.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

The cages they're in at the moment are on temporary cages, I'll be changing them once she gets spayed and recovers from it.

She has many different toys/chew items, she does use them but only for about 2 minutes then goes straighten the bars.

I currently don't have any dog pens since everyone I've looked at so far are too small or really expensive (hence why I put the c&c grids halfway across the floor so they both can come out)

Also this is the cage they both have
    http://media.petsathome.com/wcsstore...00/23370PL.jpg

It's one 140x71

Wise Old Thumper

Does she have hay, this is what keeps them occupied, not so much toys.

It definitely sounds like a protest at going back in.

We have one of these for our indoor bun http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...a-pig-play-pen in large. It's cheaper than some and quite versatile, we've added a section to make it square and most of the time I remove the front sections and she has the run of the room x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Yea, they always have hay.Fresh everyday