Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: URGENT vet has found a large lump on my Benny....U/D IT'S CANCER.

  1. #31
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Marske by the sea, Redcar, NE coast.
    Posts
    9,589

    Default

    I am so sorry to hear of your news and wish you the very best of luck xx

    My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

  2. #32
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I can't thank you enough for all your support and advice.

    I had the report from the lab sent to me, and they advise it's a soft tissue sarcoma. They also advise it MAY have metastatic potential and cancer staging is important.

    I intend to do as much as possible, but the moment he begins to suffer is when I stop. I read about a rabbit going thru chemotherapy in the book "rabbit health in the 21st century" and I thought the treatment sounded very invasive.

    I also have to think of his brother, Scootsy, as at the moment wherever Benny goes, Scootsy does. It must be stressful for him too. Obviously that's an aside at the moment but it does cause me a concern.

    If for once, luck shines on us and the lump taken out is all there is then great, but I have to prepare myself for more bad news.

    Yes I have that book and I know the part that you mention ...

    I do hope they got the whole lump x
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  3. #33
    Warren Scout Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Another question guys..

    I've been bringing Scootsy, his brother to the examinations and he also went along to the op. I've had experience of bonded pairs fighting after just one went to vets (when I was alot more inexperienced with bunnies) and we all know the pros in keeping pairs together.

    BUT I can't help but think I am putting Scootsy thru undue stress, although there are plenty of reasons why it's good to keep them together.

    What do you guys do when you have one of a pair who has a serious illness?

  4. #34
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,363

    Default

    [QUOTE=Mia;7010298]Another question guys..

    I've been bringing Scootsy, his brother to the examinations and he also went along to the op. I've had experience of bonded pairs fighting after just one went to vets (when I was alot more inexperienced with bunnies) and we all know the pros in keeping pairs together.

    BUT I can't help but think I am putting Scootsy thru undue stress, although there are plenty of reasons why it's good to keep them together.

    What do you guys do when you have one of a pair who has a serious illness?[/QUOTE]

    This very much depends on how stressed the non-poorly rabbit gets when travelling to the vets and how seriously ill the poorly rabbit is. Plus I consider how stable I consider the bond to be.

    So, if the poorly rabbit is very poorly and thus needs support from its partner to assist in recovery I would always try to take it.

    On the other hand if the vet visit is just for a vaccination plus the partner rabbit gets extremely stressed by travelling and I consider the bond to be stable, I would take the rabbit alone for its vaccination.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  5. #35
    Warren Scout Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Ok so I have now registered with John Chitty. My vet has just said that John advised he will need to do a CT scan.

    When i asked how often John Chitty has dealt with this apparently I am the first one This does not fill me with hope. Plus, if he DOES find some sort of mass - what on earth are they going to do with them?? Am I putting him thru the stress of long journeys for nothing?

    Also doing some research, I couldn't find any rabbit oncologists. Are there any? I am in the Southampton area.

    Sorry guys I am feeling really despondent

  6. #36
    Forum Buddy mini lop1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    48,949

    Default

    So sorry t hear this news, hope everything works out


    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  7. #37
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Ok so I have now registered with John Chitty. My vet has just said that John advised he will need to do a CT scan.

    When i asked how often John Chitty has dealt with this apparently I am the first one This does not fill me with hope. Plus, if he DOES find some sort of mass - what on earth are they going to do with them?? Am I putting him thru the stress of long journeys for nothing?

    Also doing some research, I couldn't find any rabbit oncologists. Are there any? I am in the Southampton area.

    Sorry guys I am feeling really despondent
    Sending hugs. The situation must be very distresing

    I would be very surprised if John Chitty had not treated a Sarcoma in a rabbit before. I would not have thought they were that uncommon.

    I am fairly confident that there would be vets specialising in oncology, although possibly not specifically for rabbits. Googling identified Nerys Lau in Fareham https://www.companioncare.co.uk/find...meet-the-team/. However, I know nothing about her or the veterinary practice.

    John Chitty has a very good reputation and I would feel confident that he would give good advice and if necessary refer you to an oncologist. Perhaps initially just have an in-depth discussion with him, outlining your concerns.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  8. #38
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Ok so I have now registered with John Chitty. My vet has just said that John advised he will need to do a CT scan.

    When i asked how often John Chitty has dealt with this apparently I am the first one This does not fill me with hope. Plus, if he DOES find some sort of mass - what on earth are they going to do with them?? Am I putting him thru the stress of long journeys for nothing?

    Also doing some research, I couldn't find any rabbit oncologists. Are there any? I am in the Southampton area.

    Sorry guys I am feeling really despondent

    Hi Mia

    I came up against exactly the same sort of problem when my rabbit had cancer. I visited several vets before I decided on a course of action. It's good to get opinions to be able to form your own on. My own vet had not seen this kind of thing before either

    I should take it one step at a time, and give yourself a breather to think about the next step. It may be that you decide to settle on palliative care. It's difficult, but I hope you and John Chitty will come to some sort of agreement as to what to do.

    Hugs xx
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

  9. #39
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    135,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Sending hugs. The situation must be very distresing

    I would be very surprised if John Chitty had not treated a Sarcoma in a rabbit before. I would not have thought they were that uncommon.

    I am fairly confident that there would be vets specialising in oncology, although possibly not specifically for rabbits. Googling identified Nerys Lau in Fareham https://www.companioncare.co.uk/find...meet-the-team/. However, I know nothing about her or the veterinary practice.

    John Chitty has a very good reputation and I would feel confident that he would give good advice and if necessary refer you to an oncologist. Perhaps initially just have an in-depth discussion with him, outlining your concerns.
    I agree with Omi, even if JC has not dealt with your Bunny's particular type of cancer he will have good contacts within the field of Veterinary Oncology to whom he can refer you. As Omi has stated, JC has an excellent reputation and I would be very confident in consulting him in your situation. Very best wishes for whatever course of action you decide on xx



    Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

    Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

    Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

  10. #40
    Mama Doe bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,000

    Default

    Mia,

    I just want to send you and your bunnies some more positive vibes. I understand how scary it is to hear the 'C' word. All you can do is educate yourself and then make a decision that you deem best for your bunny and yourself.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •