• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sneezing after exercise

Stator

Warren Veteran
Hi All,

Lilly is 10 years old and very healthy and lively.

About a week ago she started sneezing, but only ever after exercise. She comes running up the stairs and then has one or two sneezes. Sometimes she runs around on the carpet very energentically, and after has sneezing for less than a minute.
After that she is fine, and no signs of illness. No discharge that I can see.
I took her to a vets last week and the vet could see nothing wrong. She said the next step would be to do scans, but that would require anaesthetic so I don't want to risk it unless necessary

Here is a video of her straight after running around a lot, you have to turn the sound WAY up but you can hear it.

I thought maybe she has something stuck up her nose, but am not sure.

Could there be any other explanation?

Do you think it's serious?

Hi All,

About a week ago she started sneezing, but only ever after exercise. She comes running up the stairs and then has one or two sneezes. Sometimes she runs around on the carpet very energentically, and after has sneezing for less than a minute.
I took her to a vets last week and the vet could see nothing wrong. She said the next step would be to do scans, but that would require anaesthetic so I don't want to risk it unless necessary

Here is a video of her straight after running around a lot, you have to turn the sound WAY up but you can hear it.

Given that it only occurs after exertion it could indicate that there is something going on in her chest cavity and as your Vet has suggested a chest Xray would be the only way to establish if there is a problem.

Do you ever notice her eyes appear to bulge a little, especially when she lowers her head-eg when eating ?

Does she ever show any signs of an increased respiratory rate/effort ?

Hi All,

Hi there :)

Lilly looks to be a beauty and 10 years old with it!

I do understand your concerns about anaesthetic for scans. However, having been through something similar with one of my rabbits, I opted to go down that route.

What it could possibly be is something going on either in her nose or in her chest. I would want the vet to exclude any condition such as an enlarged heart (causing an issue after exercise) or any upper or lower respiratory infection/issues.

Some info here:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

Remember that for a scan/X-ray it's not going to have to be a full on GA, but you can request as light a sedation is possible with her.

Alternatively, you could ask your vet to prescribe some Bisolvon. This is a mucolytic and will thin any mucous (if it's in the nasal passages) and allow it to pass. If it works it might show that the sneezing is something concerning only her nose. However, as I've mentioned, my preference would be for a more in-depth diagnosis.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
She's had a slightly bulgy eye for over 5 years, I haven't noticed it getting worse but I will check.

Thanks for the advice.

Her eye looks pretty normal. Can't see much of a bulge if any.

I've made another appointment with one of rabbit expert vets on Saturday. Now I've got a good video of it he can take a look.

Thanks for the advice.

I've made another appointment with one of rabbit expert vets on Saturday. Now I've got a good video of it he can take a look.

You're welcome :)

Hope the vet goes well

Thanks for the advice.

How did Lilly get on at the vets Tim?

RH examined Lilly thoroughly and could not find any signs of chest problems. He couldn't tell what the problem is, the 'sneezing' isn't really a sneeze, so it's a bit of a puzzle.
So she is being treated with a powder which helps mucus production and might help her shift anything that is stuck in the airways.
Going back next week.
It's hard to tell if it's working because it doesn't happen every day, only when she really runs up the stairs or runs about as fast as she can. Normal hopping doesn't make it happen.
If it carries on we will have to consider scans but not sure what decision to make. It doesn't really affect her quality of life but if it is going to get worse, then it would be best to get the scans done whilst she is nice and healthy, so a bit of a pickle.

RH examined Lilly thoroughly and could not find any signs of chest problems. He couldn't tell what the problem is, the 'sneezing' isn't really a sneeze, so it's a bit of a puzzle.
So she is being treated with a powder which helps mucus production and might help her shift anything that is stuck in the airways.
Going back next week.
It's hard to tell if it's working because it doesn't happen every day, only when she really runs up the stairs or runs about as fast as she can. Normal hopping doesn't make it happen.
If it carries on we will have to consider scans but not sure what decision to make. It doesn't really affect her quality of life but if it is going to get worse, then it would be best to get the scans done whilst she is nice and healthy, so a bit of a pickle.

I'm guessing the powder she's been given is Bisolvon? It's a mucolytic and I've always find it works very well to thin the mucous and help it pass.

Was the vet worried about it at all?

He didn't seem to think she was in immediate danger. But obviously wants to see her again quickly if anything changed or she developed any new symptoms.

Back