• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reaffirming bond in a new place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they brother and sister? Do you realise the female can get pregnant, so please separate now although it might be too late.

No I doubt it. Were they together at the breeders? It is likely she might be pregnant even though you have not seen the boy doing anything, but what about during the night? The grunting is hormonal or she is fending him off because she is pregnant, when they are pregnant they will not usually let the male mate with them again.

Yes, any change such as moving can affect a bond. In neutered rabbits, it will usually settle in time. However, as neither are neutered, it is likely that hormones are also coming into play, as tonibun says. At 6-7 months, Lilo is almost certainly pregnant, and that in conjunction with the move is probably affecting it.

They were together at the breeders. Only brought them home 2 days ago. If she is pregnant then I will have to deal with it, however I've just palpated her and I can't feel anything. I didn't want them to be bonded and then separated and then bond them again. As I say they are at the vets very soon and going into different cages so will have to see what happens.

Overall though I was asking for a helpful response. It's a good thing I'm not a complete amateur because your doom and gloom response would have seen me running out the door.

Tonibun is only saying what the rest of us here are thinking - she is almost certainly pregnant and if you don’t separate them before the birth they will mate again immediately. Is that doom and gloom enough for you? You say you aren’t a complete amateur and yet you have 7 month old un neutered siblings together. What kind of breeder did you get them from? :roll:

Come back when the babies are born for advice if you genuinely want advice.

So I have taken the girl to the vet. Who has confirmed that she is not pregnant.

They are getting separated prior to the boys neutering.
However at present she is not 'almost certainly pregnant'

Now if anyone else would care to disagree with an animal management graduate and an experienced veterinarian from behind a keyboard go for it. These bunnies are happy, well fed and not pregnant. Yes there is the risk that they could mate, or have mated and the foetuses are at the blastocyst stage where they wouldn't be felt by being palpated. IF she give baby bunnies, then as a responsible pet owner and not a cretin, I will look after those kits too and re-home them to a suitable place and if I can't find one. More bunnies for me to look after. We have a number of spare cages so there won't be an issue there.

I think that advice for my original question was actually by-passed by the "oh she's definitely pregnant".

tlcwrites actually answered my original question and confirmed my suspicion if the move could affect their bond. Thank you. That was a helpful response.

Now that that is settled. Unless you wish to carrying on contesting the issue.

I will not be asking for anymore 'advice' seeing as all it's done is madden the unhelpful.

How very rude! People here are so helpful when people ask for advice - on anything. I'm afraid your attitude wouldn't encourage anyone to help at all.

How very rude! People here are so helpful when people ask for advice - on anything. I'm afraid your attitude wouldn't encourage anyone to help at all.

I knew the response would be exactly that. I don’t believe the vet bit (who can get an non urgent appt and get back that quickly - lol) and I’m certain this is an “accidental pregnancy” money making thing from inbred angoras. Poor bunnies and what an **** this person is. Like they’re the first person to come here for “advice” and get all shirty when they don’t like what they hear.

Now if anyone else would care to disagree with an animal management graduate and an experienced veterinarian from behind a keyboard go for it.

:lol::lol::lol:
Thing is, two randy teenage rabbits don't give two hoots about your qualifications, they'll just go to it.

Now if anyone else would care to disagree with an animal management graduate and an experienced veterinarian from behind a keyboard go for it.

Thing is, two randy teenage rabbits don't give two hoots about your qualifications, they'll just go to it.

:love:

Believe what you like only I know that I just paid a vet £30 for a check up for my pet.
Maybe you should look for a better practice that can get you in on the same day if you need it?

I'm not shirty with the advice just with how quickly the ultimate cause was pregnancy and being spoken to like I have no effing clue what I'm doing. That annoyed me straight away.

It doesn't matter. I will get this account removed and you ladies can get on with your keyboard experts role (Y)

Whatever. Bored now x

Brilliant. Us “ladies” can be funny then as well as keyboard experts.

Believe what you like only I know that I just paid a vet £30 for a check up for my pet.
Maybe you should look for a better practice that can get you in on the same day if you need it?

I'm not shirty with the advice just with how quickly the ultimate cause was pregnancy and being spoken to like I have no effing clue what I'm doing. That annoyed me straight away.

It doesn't matter. I will get this account removed and you ladies can get on with your keyboard experts role (Y)

Still as rude, I see.
I suspect you won't have to attempt to remove your account (which you cannot - you just have to stop posting) as you will be removed anyway.
We are a really friendly group, here, and you just rush in casting aspersions on folk just trying to help. You appear to have a chip on your shoulder.

I think you all need to remind yourselves of the forum rules - specifically the tone of posts section. :wave:

Tone of Posts
The forum should be a supportive place to visit. It is possible to disagree with something without turning it into an insult. Sometimes it's not what you say but how you are saying it that causes a problem. For example, if someone is feeding their rabbit in a way you consider bad you could say:

"Why are you feeding your rabbit that rubbish? You should have done more research and fed it this instead. You better change it quickly before your rabbit dies."
Or

"Have you thought about swapping to pellets? Quite a few forum members feed these as they have more fibre so are better for their gut."

The first is likely to get you a warning from admin and chase the rabbits owner away. The second is friendly and tactful and will encourage the owner to listen to your advice. Sometimes it's difficult to be patient if you see something happening you think is wrong but staying calm and polite will generally get the most successful response in the end.

Also consider replies by other members. Multiple posts from different members raising the same issue can feel like being 'ganged up on'. Consider whether your post adds anything constructive.

If you feel someone is a bit rude, think how you can word things in a way so as to get your point across without getting their backs up. If you feel a reply was rude, that doesn't mean it's fine to wade in and be rude in response either - reading this thread doesn't reflect the friendly group that we usually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back