Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: First time help needed.....

  1. #11
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    st helens england
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    I really feel for you. I got buns under the same assumption as you. Would it be possible in the future when he has been neutered to have him as house bun. They are fairly easy to train to a litter box and it's not that hard to bunny proof a room with protection for your wires. My house looked like one big cage with metal puppy panels covering everything until I trusted him. Now be has the full run of the house and is more like a dog than a rabbit lol.... Please look in the housing section for house buns before making any decisions.
    It really is worth it in the long run. I have 2 Labradors and 2 buns that are house buns.

  2. #12
    New Kit
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    I really feel for you. I got buns under the same assumption as you. Would it be possible in the future when he has been neutered to have him as house bun. They are fairly easy to train to a litter box and it's not that hard to bunny proof a room with protection for your wires. My house looked like one big cage with metal puppy panels covering everything until I trusted him. Now be has the full run of the house and is more like a dog than a rabbit lol.... Please look in the housing section for house buns before making any decisions.
    It really is worth it in the long run. I have 2 Labradors and 2 buns that are house buns.

    It is really hard, I thought I had done good research before going into this, but I had spoken to so many people who had kept their rabbits in cages and then just let them out to roam around for 4+ hours a day, rather than having them in permanent runs so I thought it would be ok. He's already litter trained, which is good, but I live in London so my house is small and I share with 2 other people - we just don't have the space to set up a permanent run anywhere..... I asked my housemates and they said we can have a look tonight to see if there is anywhere that this would be possible or any way that we can rearrange things but realistically I might have to accept that I can't offer him what he needs I know it wouldn't be fair for me to keep him just because it will make me sad to let him go....

  3. #13
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    38,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sophieanne View Post
    It is really hard, I thought I had done good research before going into this, but I had spoken to so many people who had kept their rabbits in cages and then just let them out to roam around for 4+ hours a day, rather than having them in permanent runs so I thought it would be ok. He's already litter trained, which is good, but I live in London so my house is small and I share with 2 other people - we just don't have the space to set up a permanent run anywhere..... I asked my housemates and they said we can have a look tonight to see if there is anywhere that this would be possible or any way that we can rearrange things but realistically I might have to accept that I can't offer him what he needs I know it wouldn't be fair for me to keep him just because it will make me sad to let him go....

    Hmmmm I'm sorry this has happened

    If you want to talk it over, send me a PM and we can discuss? xx
    Reliable and up to date info on RHD2:
    An extensive and comprehensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...RHD2-July-2018

  4. #14
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    I'm really sorry you're in this position However I would say that there is still a way round this. I live in a small flat in London and have two free range house rabbits. With free range rabbits you don't need any cages, hutches or runs, just good rabbit proofing. I also have a couple of hides for them to retreat to if they want to. So make sure wires are kept well away from bunny. I have furniture and wooden panels up against the skirting boards to protect them from chewing. You could bunny proof your bedroom and let that be his permanent base and then free roam around the rest of the house when you're there to supervise him. You could also put low puppy panels around the bottom of your bed and other furniture to protect them from being chewed.

    Good luck, I hope you're able to find a solution.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

    At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

    Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

  5. #15
    New Kit
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    I'm really sorry you're in this position However I would say that there is still a way round this. I live in a small flat in London and have two free range house rabbits. With free range rabbits you don't need any cages, hutches or runs, just good rabbit proofing. I also have a couple of hides for them to retreat to if they want to. So make sure wires are kept well away from bunny. I have furniture and wooden panels up against the skirting boards to protect them from chewing. You could bunny proof your bedroom and let that be his permanent base and then free roam around the rest of the house when you're there to supervise him. You could also put low puppy panels around the bottom of your bed and other furniture to protect them from being chewed.

    Good luck, I hope you're able to find a solution.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Thanks for the advice. I would love to be able to just let him loose in the house but I think it would be impossible to bunny proof most of the rooms (or if not impossible, not something my flatmates would allow as it would be annoying for the them) - our kitchen for example has a bunch of holes or empty space around the washing machine, dishwasher and tumble drier, as well as under some of the cupboards, and behind the fridge/freezer - I would be so scared he would get stuck somewhere..... in the living room we have a ton of wires.... we have 2 free standing lamps, a small fridge, the tv, a sound system which runs around the room with wires at floor level, 6 different games consoles.... there's just wires everywhere.... I could potentially let him loose in my room, but there's isn't much space to move in there either to be honest.... I'll have a look tonight and see what can be done......

  6. #16

    Default

    Hi Welcome to the forum

    It's a shame you have to consider giving him up. Unfortunately it's still widely thought that a standard cage is acceptable, when unfortunately it isn't (not your fault, it sounds like you've been given duff advice).

    We have two indoor rabbits (10 outside) one lives in my dd's room and one lives in ours free range, luckily neither of them are destructive, generally, but obviously we do have to keep wires out of the way. Both of ours are reliable with their litter trays so are pretty clean too. How big is your room? Could you get creative with the space? x

    **created by my DD Lionheadlop**

  7. #17
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Village in North Hampshire
    Posts
    23,530

    Default

    I'm so sorry you are faced with the prospect of perhaps having to give him up. They make such lovely pets but do have specific needs (which, unfortunately, some breeders and petshops don't tell you about). You never know, you may find a way to keep him and give him the space he needs.

  8. #18
    Mama Doe tlcwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,193

    Default

    I'm sorry you feel you may have to give him up, too. Finding the right information at the right time can sometimes be a minefield. I have a group upstairs, and to better utilise the space for them, we've done a couple of little things - like a pipe underneath the bed, otherwise "dead" space to us humans, and converting the bottom drawer of a unit into a hide for them. It may be possible for you to find enough space for him as a base when you aren't otherwise around to supervise, and thus let him have a "proper" run?
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

    *Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Eta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex Hamster*
    Never forgetting rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, and Arce

    Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

  9. #19
    New Kit
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    I'm sorry you feel you may have to give him up, too. Finding the right information at the right time can sometimes be a minefield. I have a group upstairs, and to better utilise the space for them, we've done a couple of little things - like a pipe underneath the bed, otherwise "dead" space to us humans, and converting the bottom drawer of a unit into a hide for them. It may be possible for you to find enough space for him as a base when you aren't otherwise around to supervise, and thus let him have a "proper" run?
    yeah, it's going to be a tough decision! unfortunately I have a a divan bed in my room so there is no space underneath and I don't have room for any drawers or anything..... I have about a foot of space around the bed, but I'm not sure it would be a much better space for Alfie. There is room in the living room potentially but it would take up basically all of the space in the living room and I don't think my house mates are keen which is fair as it's their space too. I'm gonna keep thinking of a suitable option but I'm also going to be realistic and won't let Alfie suffer just because I want to keep him... Gotta do the right thing in the end. We'll see what can be done!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •