• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this normal?

Jaspar0205

Young Bun
Hi everyone!:wave:

I've currently got two rabbits, Jasper, who I got 4 months ago and Luna who I got 3 days ago.
Jasper is 2 and neutered and Luna is 3-4 Months but unspayed (I will be getting her spayed, the vet said to wait until shes about 6 months.

They're in separate cages at the moment and they seem to be getting on fine. They eat together, lie down by each other.
This is where my question comes in.
Whenever I let Jasper out, he'll go up to the cage and they'll smell each other, however she sometimes runs to the other side of the cage (it's not a flight kind of run) and he will follow her but then start biting and pulling her cage bars.

He does not do this all the time, he usually ignores her and does his own thing, I'm just curious if it's a bad thing or normal.

Hi everyone!:wave:

I've currently got two rabbits, Jasper, who I got 4 months ago and Luna who I got 3 days ago.
Jasper is 2 and neutered and Luna is 3-4 Months but unspayed (I will be getting her spayed, the vet said to wait until shes about 6 months.

They're in separate cages at the moment and they seem to be getting on fine. They eat together, lie down by each other.
This is where my question comes in.
Whenever I let Jasper out, he'll go up to the cage and they'll smell each other, however she sometimes runs to the other side of the cage (it's not a flight kind of run) and he will follow her but then start biting and pulling her cage bars.

He does not do this all the time, he usually ignores her and does his own thing, I'm just curious if it's a bad thing or normal.

Hello

It sounds pretty normal to me. Are you going to wait until your Doe has been spayed before you attempt to bond her with Jasper ?

Are their cages next to each other and how large are the cages ?

Really it's not a good thing as they are learning to be aggressive with one another so I wouldn't let it happen.

Hey

Yeah that was the plan, I was also told by the vet to wait until she's spayed before introducing face to face.

Yes, the cages are next to each other, at the moment they're both in a 120cm size cage however I do plan on getting a bigger one for both or just one big one if they can bond.

Oh I see, I get confused about this because others say it's quite normal. They don't bite each other through the cages just sniff, he only bites the bars when she hops away but only does it once then leave

I think you are in abetter position to judge how they are acting. No indoor cage is big enough for 1 rabbit let alone 2 but there are ways around it, maybe by using puppy panels etc. There are lots of examples in the Housing section - but just because pet shops sell indoor cages doesn't mean we should buy them.

Hey

Yeah that was the plan, I was also told by the vet to wait until she's spayed before introducing face to face.

Yes, the cages are next to each other, at the moment they're both in a 120cm size cage however I do plan on getting a bigger one for both or just one big one if they can bond.

I have a neutered 7 year old buck and recently rescued a 4 1/2 month old unspayed doe. The rescue told me that their experience was that unspayed does who are not sexually mature are usually accepted very well by neutered bucks and to attempt bonding immediately.

I did this and found that in my case the rescue was correct. There was a bit of chasing and nipping by the buck for 24 hours, which then completely stopped. The doe did not display any aggressive behaviour. They have been together for a month now with no problems. I will take the buck in to the vets when the doe has her spay in about a month's time and hopefully their bond will remain intact.

OKAY QUICK UPDATE!

Okay so Jaspar does not bite and pull on Luna's cage anymore, he sniffs, but then does his own thing, but this is the thing.
She has now started leaving her cage and starting to explore the room, now whenever she goes near Jasper's cage he will run up and down the cage
and occasionally, he will start really biting and pulling his bars. Again, they're both fine if he's out and she's in her cage, and they're both fine with each other when they're
both in the cage.

Is he acting on territorial behaviour? aggressive? curious or maybe just excited even? (I should have stated before, that he used to be in a trio in his previous home and got on fine with them)

Computer Help Please - A Q

Rabbits tend to hate it when other rabbits come up to their cage, they act like this. If you aren't going to put them together now I would keep them in positions where they can't upset one another. I have a lot of rabbits and try to avoid this sort of behaviour .

Oh okay.

Do you have any tips on how I could let one of them out with out upsetting the other?
I know it sounds stupid but I've never had 2 rabbits together so I'm still learning.

He'll do it the whole time she's out. Sometimes he'll lay down and she will run past and he's fine, but other than that he'll run about his cage.

Back