• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drinking water

rosaleen

Warren Scout
My rabbit BeBe seems to have a strange habit drinking water,he will sip/drink out of the bowl, then what appears to be, judging by his lip and jaw movements, he’ll munch or chew it for up to 10 seconds before having another drink
I’m puzzled

My rabbit BeBe seems to have a strange habit drinking water,he will sip/drink out of the bowl, then what appears to be, judging by his lip and jaw movements, he’ll munch or chew it for up to 10 seconds before having another drink
I’m puzzled

Does he show any unusual chewing habits when eating ?

Has he ever had 'Snuffles' ?

It may be that it is just a quirky behaviour, but if you remain concerned then a Vet check would be my suggestion.

Hi,
No he hasn’t got the sniffles and hasn’t had them at all. Chewing food is fine. Perhaps like you say just quirky behaviour. I’m not worried by it but next vet visit I’ll ask.
Thanks for your input

I’m puzzled

I've had rabbits that do this ... May be worth checking on the teeth.

Sometimes they semi-groom themselves after drinking a sip of water ...

It can also be a sign of nothing in particular, so don't worry too much yet. How long has it been going on?

Hi,
No he hasn’t got the sniffles and hasn’t had them at all. Chewing food is fine. Perhaps like you say just quirky behaviour. I’m not worried by it but next vet visit I’ll ask.
Thanks for your input

I doubt that it is anything to worry about, but as you have said, mentioning it to the Vet may be a good idea :)

I've had rabbits that do this ... May be worth checking on the teeth.

Sometimes they semi-groom themselves after drinking a sip of water ...

It can also be a sign of nothing in particular, so don't worry too much yet. How long has it been going on?

Thanks for all the advice and reassurances. His teeth were checked on his last visit 3 months ago and all was fine.
Mighty Max when you said you’ve had rabbits that did this did you know or find out the reason/s??

Just seen your last question, I’ve noticed it for quite a while,certainly for longer than his last vet visit Their drinking bowl is right in front of where I sit.

Back