• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Willow is slightly overweigth - now what?

Lagomorphine

Warren Scout
I took Willow and Charlie to the vet a few weeks ago for their checkup + vaccination. They are both in good health but Willow is slightly overweight, whereas Charlie is about the right weight. So here's the question: given the fact that they live together, eat the same food (in fact they prefer to eat from the same bowls), how am I going to put Willow on a diet without Charlie being affected?

The fact that Willow is fatter is actually no surprise: she is a pig when it comes to food. She spends more time grazing and in general she is more greedy when it comes to food.

I have already reduced their pellets to the minimum but there is not much I can do about Willow eating hay and grass...

Reducing pellets should work well, if Willow is only a little overweight he'll get there & there probably isn't any great rush - as long as it edges in the right direction. Could you get Charlie on his own each day to hand feed a few extra pellets?

keep to reducing the pellets , but if its possible seperate them and wait for the overweight rabbit to finish her pellets then put her back in her accomodation with the other bunny . Thats what worked for me ! I hope it helps !!:D

What else do you feed them other than pellets and hay?

They get vegetables twice a day, usually a mixture of cabbage leaves, sprouting broccoli, celery, parsley, etc. I used to give them a bit of pepper and baby sweetcorn but I have stopped that in order to reduce the sugar content of their diet. Plus I let them out free range in the garden whenever I can, so they can graze on fresh grass.

I'll see how it goes. The problem does not appear to be serious at the moment, so hopefully reducing the pellets should work.

Also, I should have more opportunity to control their feeding habits as the days are now longer and there is some time in the evening to manage the feeding better.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back