• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Big is Your Rabbit Shed?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Had a bit of a scare this evening - I saw Hamilton digging in the run extension and went to stop him. The hole was already pretty big and I realised very quickly that Bea was already on the other side in the neighbour's garden!

I was over there in a flash and Beatrice came running up to me, very pleased with herself apparently. I'm quite a pro at catching bunnies these days and scooped her up with no fuss :L

My neighbour warned me that a cat was recently killed by a fox not far from us (which really surprised me tbh - I didn't think that foxes killed cats) - anyway, weighing up both of these factors, I'm scared to have an open top run extension for the buns anymore. So I'm thinking to get a shed extension.

I'm wondering if anyone with outdoor buns can tell me how big theirs is? Obviously it depends on what I can fit behind the greenhouse, ultimately.

Any advice appreciated!

Gosh, that must have been scary!

The shed part of our accommodation is 8' x 6'. It is attached to the rest with a cat flap.

Our shed is 6 x 6 with a 7 x 5 fully weld meshed run. Getting an aviary soon to increase their space.

Sounds like a shed would be a great option for you.

When I had outdoor rabbits the shed was just over 6ft x 4ft and the run was 17ft x 10ft

That must have been scary! Rabbits will be rabbits at times. I have a couple of sheds, one is 12 x 6 and the other is 7 x 5. I also have 3 playhouses but the one I would recommend is the 5 x 4, not 4 x 4 as it's too small really. If it's only for 2 rabbits then the 7 x 5 is ok but if you are thinking of introducing Plumpkin then perhaps a 8 x 6 would be better.

Glad you got her back ok!

By the end of this month I’ll have 3 sheds (waiting for an MPH order):

2 set ups of 6ft x 3ft sheds (plus shelf) attached to 7ft x 7ft Omlet runs - these are for my pairs. I will be ordering MPH 8 ft x 8 ft runs once the sheds are up as after this winter and spring (ha!) I want something more enclosed and on slabs ( with a grass bit in the middle, I’m going to try and rotate turf ie always have some regrowing outside the run to rotate). It’s been a nightmare keeping the runs clean since last summer and I’ve had enough.

10ft x 6ft shed with aviary run around one side and the back making 12ft x 7ft to which I’m adding a 6ft x 4ft run (on slabs with a grass bit in the middle) with long runaround pipe. This is for my (hopefully!) quad.

I do give mine a lot of free ranging - especially during the spring/summer/autumn when I’m out there gardening with them (Dennis and Bella are out now despite the rain but they’ll want to go back in soon) as my garden has cat proof fencing to keep my cats in (we live close to a 60 mile an hour country road and several cats have been killed there) which also keeps other cats and foxes out - think safari park lion fencing - but I watch them still in case of digging out/ birds of prey etc. I’d say - especially if they can’t free range and you are considering a trio - go as big as you have space for, I don’t think you’d regret it. Good luck!

Back