Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonding Nine - now a Quintet and maybe a Quad?

Default Bonding Nine - now a Quintet and maybe a Quad?

UPDATE: as of page 10, 'only' 7. Persephone and Morpheus were not settling and being bullied. They have been moved out of the group, with their bond still intact.

UPDATE 2: as of page 11, now a quintet. Selene has been seriously hurt by Meadow and is under veterinary care. Once healed, I'm hoping to try bonding Helios and Selene to Persephone and Morpheus.

..yes, 9. Because I have gone mad. Because I want all my outdoor rabbits to share all of their space instead of smaller (but still bigger than RWAF minimum) set ups.

Day One

The initial bonding crate. An XL dog crate, with a 3 sided run of puppy panels. Indoors, in the lounge.

The suspects:

Athena - chinchilla otter lionhead cross
    Erasmus Chipper (Mus) - tricolour dwarf lop
    Helios - broken castor otter rex
    Meadowbloom Ursula (Meadow) - steel dutch
    Morpheus Seahorse (Morph) - harlequin lionhead
    Neonara Drifter (Neo) - mismarked black dutch (overweight)
    Persephone - chocolate point mini rex
    Rivergrace (River) - opal grey crossbreed
    Selene - black rex

Previously grouped as a trio and 3 pairs:
    Athena, Rivergrace, and Erasmus
    Helios and Selene
    Persephone and Morpheus
    Meadowbloom and Neonara

What's happening so far:
    Meadowbloom and Neonara (Meadow and Neo) arrived from Honeybunnies yesterday courtesy of Jill (honeybunny) and keletkezes. Very grateful to you both! Meadow and Neo, of course are both neutered and fully vaccinated. We gave them a day to settle in a small crate as we didn't want to disturb the neutral setting in the lounge.

This morning, Nyssacat was meant to go to the vets (again) for yearly vaccs, but managed to elude us by hiding behind the bookcase. All rabbits had breakfast, we went out, grabbed some shopping. Once back, we loaded the trio (River, Athena, Erasmus) into the smallest puppy pen (used for vet appointments). Persephone and Morpheus into our regular cat carrier. Helios and Selene brought in in arms. Helios and Selene were first in the bonding area, followed by Persephone and Morph. Trio went in next, and finally the dutches.

There's been a lot of humping and some fur has flown, mostly from the humping sessions. Almost everyone has had a go, but the worst subjects have been Mus and especially Neo. I'm fairly certain Neo will most likely end up being the dominant rabbit. Selene and Meadow have both been quiet and submissive. River and Persephone have been the most stressy. Persephone continues to snort then thump. She did this when she was first bonded with Morph - it tends to be her first reaction to everything. For a while, River offered an echoing thump to Persephone's. Any "fighting" there's been has mostly been rabbits throwing someone else off their back to stop the humping. Nothing has been untowardly concerning regarding the group thus far.

They've been together approximately an hour now. Right now, most of them are all sitting or laying down. Athena and Morph are grooming. Helios is eating hay. Persephone is staring into the corner of the crate, snorting and thumping. For the most part nobody is sitting necessarily with their original bond mates. Neo is flopped behind Selene.

And now I'm finishing up this Persephone and River are back to their echoing thumps. Will update again shortly.
    Last edited by tlcwrites; 16-05-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

*Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Eta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex Hamster*
    Never forgetting rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, and Iris

Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

Photos:

Owned by:

Never forgetting rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, and Iris

TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

Wow! That's amazing! You must really have a gift with rabbit bonding

Though in some ways it seems kinda easier to bond a large group than to bond a pair.

Wise Old Thumper

Wow, how brave are you

Sending loads of good wishes and lots of calm bonding vibes.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Wow how very exciting.

Warren Veteran

OMG - you must be fearless -9!!! But if anyone can, you can.
    I shall be watching your thread with interest. Loads of luck

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Oh wow! You are indeed fearless but I agree if anyone can do it, you can. I love the idea of big groups of bunnies so I'll be avidly following this thread. I wonder how long it'll take to bond 9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Thank you for the support everyone. I really hope this works. I just love the idea of having 2 big groups, one in the house and one outside. I certainly DON'T want to try a group any bigger than this one!

As I've said in bonding threads before, I don't think I have a gift at all regarding rabbit bonding. I AM fearless without it though and don't panic easily at chasing/humping/a little bit of fur flying. So long as there's no major fights, I don't separate prospective bonds. After all, it is the rabbits themselves that have to do the hard work, not me.

Day One - 1.30pm

Still lots of occasional scuffles if one moves, but it's literally just them changing position in the set up. Lasts 30 seconds tops. Generally, it's quieter now. No major humping sessions. Athena has done a couple of her typical show off dead bunny flops. Erasmus stole some food out of Selene's mouth. Persephone is sulking in her corner.

Owned by:

I second (or is third?) the fearless comments - what an amazing thing if you can do it. I’ve seen neutered groups of rabbits on the internet and always wondered how they did it - I believe I’ve seen 12 living together, wondering if I can find it again for some added encouragement! They look wonderful together and it sounds like it’s going according to plan so far? Xx

Oh how exciting. I loved bonding my quad. Tried six originally but Mottle and Peaches (an already established pair) were having none of it. That became apparant almost immediately.

I will be following this with interest. Wishing you and the rabbits the very best of luck.

Looks like your lot are doing fine. I am fascinated by the interplay between groups of animals. I recently bonded my guinea pigs (a trio, a pair and two singles) into a group of 7. It was utterly seamless.