Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Bonding Nine - now a Quintet and maybe a Quad?

Day 20 - 3pm

I am feeling like a terrible, terrible owner.

My darling Rexy girl Selene has been completely beat up on. I noticed a huge blister on her shoulder and booked her in with our newest vet. He's not exotics qualified YET but has a massive interest in them. Anyhow, I went to load the 7 in a crate, and Meadow just set herself on poor Selene who was screaming and screaming. So I took just Helios and Selene, knowing full well they will NOT be returning to the dutches/River/Mus/Athena. The fight between Meadow and Selene ended with the blister actually bursting and a huge flap of dead skin/fur hanging off. It's awful.

Anyhow D examined Selene thoroughly, then Helios and clipped Helios's nails for me(!) Helios hasn't any wounds at all; he's in fine fettle, just fat. He then said he would clean up the wounds then try and staple/sew them closed again. First he tried with just a local, but Sea wasn't having any of it. He came through to ask for permission to sedate her, which of course I gave. OH, Helios, and I, meanwhile, were waiting in the consult room. H was sticking to me like glue! They were gone for the longest time. We overheard that Z (an exotics vet) AND D were working on 'an emergency' and knew it was her. Eventually he brought Sea back, and one of her sides has pretty much been completely shaven. A nightmare for D because she is a rabbit, but also a REX rabbit (apparently, a dog would have taken a quarter of the time!) He indicated where the worst wounds are, what has been done, and how there's more minor scabs elsewhere. She's on metacam and baytril. She has a check-up in a week and has to be kept indoors.

H was the sweetest when she returned. He immediately set to grooming her, and nuzzling her. He's such a good, concerned husbun.

So my plans after Sea's recovered?

Right now, I'm hoping the Outdoor 5 will be fine now. Of course I'm gonna keep an eye on this but I really hope that's the end of all rejections.

After that, I'm going to try H and Sea with Persephone and Morpheus. There never appeared to be any aggression between them, and hopefully that'll work. We'll then look at building them a new run, and new shelter of some description. That's in addition to what Persephone and Morpheus are in now.

Right now though, I'm feeling hugely guilty. And beating myself up about it. This only happened because I had all these lofty ideas. But, it also proves the importance of ALWAYS having a back-up plan. I just hope, when the time comes, I'll have a happy 5, and a happy quad.
    Last edited by tlcwrites; 16-05-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

+Meadowbloom and Neonara
    *Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Eta guinea pigs*Tora and Rex-Rex Hamster
    Never forgetting rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, and Iris

Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

Aww bless Selene but please don't beat yourself up about it, you tried 9 so they could all be together and get on you never did it with the intention of putting any in harms way. You noticed Persephone and Morpheus wer'nt clicking with the group and resolved that issue and now you have noticed Meadow and Selene etc. To me you have always had the buns at the forefront. So what if the initial idea is out the window and may have been changed to two groups. Yes there have been a couple of injuries/ scuffles but I think anyone would have been shocked if they went together with no problems and life went on. Go get a cuppa, sounds like you need one!

Warren Veteran

Nobody can tell which way it'll go with bunny bonding so nobun's to blame - please go easy on yourself. Healing vibes for you & selene

Wise Old Thumper

Oh gosh, poor Selene I'm so very sorry this has happened. I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up about it, although I know exactly how you feel having experienced it very recently with my failed quintet bond with Tethra, which I called a halt to after he was injured. I hope that she heals well.

Bonding for me appears NEVER to be an exact science. In my view it is mostly about the rabbits' personalities and very little to do with the skill of the bonder. Yes, of course there are sensible guidelines to be followed when bonding, but sometimes rabbits just do not want to live together and your track record proves that you are an experienced bonder with loads of successful bonds behind you.

I hope that the revised groups work out.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    Day 20 - 3pm

I am feeling like a terrible, terrible owner.

My darling Rexy girl Selene has been completely beat up on. I noticed a huge blister on her shoulder and booked her in with our newest vet. He's not exotics qualified YET but has a massive interest in them. Anyhow, I went to load the 7 in a crate, and Meadow just set herself on poor Selene who was screaming and screaming. So I took just Helios and Selene, knowing full well they will NOT be returning to the dutches/River/Mus/Athena. The fight between Meadow and Selene ended with the blister actually bursting and a huge flap of dead skin/fur hanging off. It's awful.

Anyhow D examined Selene thoroughly, then Helios and clipped Helios's nails for me(!) Helios hasn't any wounds at all; he's in fine fettle, just fat. He then said he would clean up the wounds then try and staple/sew them closed again. First he tried with just a local, but Sea wasn't having any of it. He came through to ask for permission to sedate her, which of course I gave. OH, Helios, and I, meanwhile, were waiting in the consult room. H was sticking to me like glue! They were gone for the longest time. We overheard that Z (an exotics vet) AND D were working on 'an emergency' and knew it was her. Eventually he brought Sea back, and one of her sides has pretty much been completely shaven. A nightmare for D because she is a rabbit, but also a REX rabbit (apparently, a dog would have taken a quarter of the time!) He indicated where the worst wounds are, what has been done, and how there's more minor scabs elsewhere. She's on metacam and baytril. She has a check-up in a week and has to be kept indoors.

H was the sweetest when she returned. He immediately set to grooming her, and nuzzling her. He's such a good, concerned husbun.

So my plans after Sea's recovered?

Right now, I'm hoping the Outdoor 5 will be fine now. Of course I'm gonna keep an eye on this but I really hope that's the end of all rejections.

After that, I'm going to try H and Sea with Persephone and Morpheus. There never appeared to be any aggression between them, and hopefully that'll work. We'll then look at building them a new run, and new shelter of some description. That's in addition to what Persephone and Morpheus are in now.

Right now though, I'm feeling hugely guilty. And beating myself up about it. This only happened because I had all these lofty ideas. But, it also proves the importance of ALWAYS having a back-up plan. I just hope, when the time comes, I'll have a happy 5, and a happy quad.

So sorry to hear about Selene I hope she recovers OK.

You must not beat yourself up about this. It's good to have ideas and plans that would make yours and their lives enriched and easier. If you didn't try you'd have never known. These things happen and it wasn't meant to be. But you tried and you'd always wonder if you hadn't, whether it would've been possible.

So moving on, vibes for the separate groups and a few extra for Selene.

PS you are a wonderful person and I value your support more than you will know. Thank you for your PM and I can't tell you how much your bravery and honesty mean to me. Many hugs for you this evening ... xx

Alpha Buck

Hi, I hope Selene is feeling better today. What you were attempting was purely for the buns sake and there’s no blame to be dolled out. No one can know how the rabbits will get on until you try. We’ve all been here, trying to make a big happy group or even a pair in order to provide company and bunny love for our rabbits. I hope you’re feeling better today too and keep posting as I’ve been following your thread with much interest. Sending vibes to you and all your buns xx

Just catching up: best wishes for Selene, and to you too, of course you'll feel guilty but it's not your fault Good luck with the next steps
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.