• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I "play" with my bun?

Jo93

Young Bun
I worry sometimes that because Twix is by himself, I need to make sure he has lots of stimulation and that he doesn't get bored or lonely. Sometime's when both myself and my partner have worked a long day, when we get home I want to make sure I put aside some specific bonding time with Twix and give him some love and attention. Although I'm not sure how I actually "play" with him?

I'll always come home and just sit on the floor, but he won't always come up to me. When he does I give him a bit of a stroke and try to play with one of the grass balls he has but he doesn't seem too interested. I've tried lots of different things, like cardboard boxes, tubes, tunnels etc. but he'll give them a bit of a sniff/nibble and then wander off.

I really do worry that he is bored or sad :(

Any suggestions on games or toys?

Thank you

Hi there,

Rabbits don't really 'play', in the way that dogs and cats do - however you could try teaching Twix some tricks. (try saying that 3 times in a row!!) :D

With the help of some tasty treats (little bits of fruit, a portion of his daily veg, dried herbs, etc) I taught my bridge bun, Kirsty, to twirl, go on his hind paws and hop over my leg. Kirsty certainly enjoyed the food and I enjoyed spending that time with him.

To keep Twix occupied during the day, you could try putting his pellets (if he has them) in a treat ball, such as this one: https://www.viovet.co.uk/Good-Boy-Training-Treat-Ball-Dog-Toy/c6985/?sct_t=1524762349&sct_q=treat+ball&sct_r=3

Alternatively, scatter feeding or putting veggies/ pellets in a big pile of hay is a great way to encourage natural foraging behaviours.

I also found that Kirsty loved a good grooming session, on the floor in his run so he could come and go as he pleased - these were his favourite brushes: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-P...pID=51-NuE4b0EL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Brands-Finger-Groomer-Animal/dp/B003IN7LOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1524762722&sr=1-1&keywords=small+animal+finger+groomer

Please don't feel like Twix is unhappy, it is clear that you are a very devoted care-giver.

I am sure that you are aware there is no real replacement for a bunny companion, is there a reason why you are unable to provide him with a friend? x

Hope this is of some help to you.

My boys interact with me if I have food, but they do find it fascinating to inspect me - if I lie on the floor and stay still I have been bounced on, groomed and cuddled up too. My boys also seem to enjoy destroying things, I collect cardboard packaging and old newspaper and build a pile throwing some cut up veggies into the pile. They spend ages taking the pile apart and flinging boxes and paper around to find the treats.

My son lays on the floor with ours (if I try it I can’t get up again :oops: ) and they seem to really enjoy climbing all over him - especially if he hides a treat or two in his pocket. We also hide herbs and treats in their hay and hay filled loo roll tubes, they seem to like that as well.

I taught one of my first buns to give me a bunny kiss before he got his treat, that was cute and took a good bit of training which kept us both busy whilst in each others company. You could also do a bit of a trail when he's out, hide a few bits of his food etc in corners/ areas of the room so you can enjoy seeing if he finds it and fuss him when he does and he's entertained whilst out. I like Cuthbert's idea, I'm going to try that myself

I find that if you have some thing interesting (or at least pretend it's interesting) by rabbits come over like a shot. I deliberately don't face them and just look fascinated with whatever it is I'm holding (usually a willow ball), make suitably interested noises 'ooh what's this' 'yes fascinating' and then their curiosity gets the better of them and they can't help but come over.
Another game we play is where I lie down and sprinkle herbs on my sweatshirt. Although both of my rabbits weren't use to human interaction or even being touched by humans they soon overcame any reluctance in order to get to the herbs. Now one of my rabbits happily comes over and jumps on my back/shoulders if ever I lie on the floor.
I also hold out a willow stick - sometimes at bunny head height, other times higher so that they reach up - and they'll nibble (destroy!) the stick. When doing this I just sit still and don't attempt to stroke them and they seem happy with that.
Hiding forage across their living space can work too (if they don't spot it straight away and scoff the lot in 2 minutes that is :roll:)
Keep working at it, any time spent together can only be a good thing :D

Evening all...one thing our bun's love to do is sit on the bed with us. My hubby's bunny, Oreo, will come over and bounce back and forth, if it is just me and I am reading, she loves to sit on my chest or lay next to me while I gently stroke her forehead. She also loves to be let out for a few hours to bounce around, jump up in the air, and spring up on a box then onto our large window sill and clean herself.

I do what cuthbert&dillon does. I also put special hay, great and dried herbs into a brown paper bag tied with strong with a couple of holes cut in. It's even better to watch them open it if they watch you fill it, all the time rustling a plastic bag lol... The first time I had to help a couple of them open in but once they realised what was inside everyone got the idea the 2nd time around.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, I really appreciate it :)

I think I'm going to buy one of those treat balls but also try hiding some of his favourite treats around the flat for him to find :) I bought one of these for him recently and it's typical that he prefers to play with the cardboard box than the actual toy :lol: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Animal-Activity-Boredom-Breaker/dp/B007JUX6FA

When I lie completely flat on the floor, he does like to come and jump on to my back and walk up to sniff my head!

Maybe I'm overeacting slightly, and he's happier than I think :love: thank you all again x

Back