• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vimto is home and bonding already!

0XBunnyta

Warren Scout
In my last post I asked if there were any single female rescue bunnies available near Leeds and jumped on the first lil girl that was suggested. She’s now home and settled in pretty much in the first night, she’s super confident and also very very friendly with us.

After my 11yo girl passing Tina, who was an utter lap dog and I miss so, SO much, and after the passing of Annabelle who couldn’t be kept special needs because of an intense dislike towards humans it was incredibly important to me I adopted a bun who sought attention from people and would enjoy it with close proximity to us in our small flat.

My boyfriend wanted a bunny that wasn’t plain white or black :)roll:) and so she’s absolutely perfect for us both with Vimto’s grey marble efffect coluration she’s so unique. She’s been with Wayne in his pen all day last weekend but he got quite frightened and off food with her being a sassy lady, he was sat in the corner whilst she went about her business so made the decision to split again for his sake, just worried for his gut health and have them living side by side for the week before trying again.

He’s back eating well and been grooming her through the bars now though so all looking good :D still confident the bond will work even though there’s been a small set back, totally my fault for trying to rush the bond trying to get them both together so they can run round the appartment and no one is caged.

My boyfriend also decided to rename her! I tend to keep given names for respect for past owners or rescuers who named them as part of their family... hence the name Wayne! But as ‘his’ rabbit he went for Mavis :) to match Wayne’s old man name hehe.

Just wanted to share :wave: Any unusual bonding tips? Heard most of them before but hoping for something new!

Having just spent 4 months in a slow bonding process, the best advice I can give is to allow time. Don't rush. I tried putting both in a carrier and going for a drive for 20 mins or so. That's a bit of pressure on everyone but I feel it helped my bonding. You could try the various calming sprays? I tried these too and I can't say they didn't help. Swapping the buns over to spend time in each other's environment is also good. Basically just keep them interested in each other and be patient. If they can see and smell each other then that's a great help.
Good luck

I'm glad Mavis/Vimto is settling well. I personally bond by starting in a small neutral space and increasing it over time. The other thing I like to do during first introductions is to make sure there's a lot of fresh hay and interesting food. If they are more interested in food, that is a great start. Also I never separate an intended bond unless it is absolutely made clear by the rabbits that the bond won't work. Don't be unnerved by thumping, humping etc, they'll usually sort themselves out over time. Good luck. :) I'm personally trying my biggest bond to date from tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

They’ve been living together since last weekend and have both been free range round the apartment now :D Sucess! Potentially the hardest rabbit I’ve had to bond in regards to Mavis’ persistence to nip, she wanted to chase him and for hours I had to sit in their pen and hold her back :lol: She wasn’t the WORST like, Annabelle was always my hardest sassy lady to bond in regards to her scary aggressive behaviour but that went on for like half an hour then settled down which was easier on my part because you do get bored sat there in the pen :lol: definitely not a novice bond or one I’d introduce to multiple rabbits.

Back