• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bleu has mites (walking dandruff)

I've noticed since bleu has been having his moult and needing extra grooming, that he had dandruff. I took him the vets yesterday for a check up because I know there could be an underlying issue with suppressed immune system.
I've been spoiling him a bit since he's lost Bella because he's lonely and he seems a little plump I'm embarrassed to say :oops: The vet didn't think he's that much over weight but I've noticed a difference in the way he grooms himself.
Me and the vet agree he seems healthy, bright and active so the mites could have taken hold because he has lost Bella.
I asked the vet could I treat the mites myself because I may have to treat them all of at least fleur too and the cost of the ivermectin from the vets was ridiculous and I know I can get it far cheaper elsewhere.
I've bought this https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/xeno...erm=4578228983414717&utm_content=All Products because bleu is over 4kg.
Has anyone ever used this product and know of its success rates.

Would you treat all the Buns even if no signs of mites and what product would you recommend for cleaning the house. Thanks xxxx

I've noticed since bleu has been having his moult and needing extra grooming, that he had dandruff. I took him the vets yesterday for a check up because I know there could be an underlying issue with suppressed immune system.
I've been spoiling him a bit since he's lost Bella because he's lonely and he seems a little plump I'm embarrassed to say :oops: The vet didn't think he's that much over weight but I've noticed a difference in the way he grooms himself.
Me and the vet agree he seems healthy, bright and active so the mites could have taken hold because he has lost Bella.
I asked the vet could I treat the mites myself because I may have to treat them all of at least fleur too and the cost of the ivermectin from the vets was ridiculous and I know I can get it far cheaper elsewhere.
I've bought this https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/xeno...erm=4578228983414717&utm_content=All Products because bleu is over 4kg.
Has anyone ever used this product and know of its success rates.

Would you treat all the Buns even if no signs of mites and what product would you recommend for cleaning the house. Thanks xxxx

That Xeno should be fine :) I have in the past treated all buns, even if not in direct contact (but live in the same house). However, I would probably only treat those in direct contact.

One dose, a fortnight apart, and for three applications in total.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Poor little Bleu, I hope he gets better soon and perks up ..... xx

Thanks MM he seems great in himself. I'm going to do fleur as well because I'm going to be bonding them soon and if she hasn't got them it at least acts as a preventative so she doesn't catch them.
I've just had a good read it that link and my get didn't mention the treatment three times 2 seems apart. I could use the overheating drops 1% couldn't i? This one in waiting for you only get 6 palettes and bleu needs 3 and fleur needs 3. That will only do the first treatment. The 1% drops are 1 drop for every 500g of body weight. I wish I'd have bought that in the big bottle first. Oh well, I will have to get that now.

Thanks MM he seems great in himself. I'm going to do fleur as well because I'm going to be bonding them soon and if she hasn't got them it at least acts as a preventative so she doesn't catch them.
I've just had a good read it that link and my get didn't mention the treatment three times 2 seems apart. I could use the overheating drops 1% couldn't i? This one in waiting for you only get 6 palettes and bleu needs 3 and fleur needs 3. That will only do the first treatment. The 1% drops are 1 drop for every 500g of body weight. I wish I'd have bought that in the big bottle first. Oh well, I will have to get that now.

You're welcome :)

Yeah the data sheet says one per week for three weeks also.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-458966

I know a lot of vets only treat for a couple of weeks and I believe that often works. But a severe infestation, or to be doubly sure, three doses is recommended.

I'm glad he's well in himself :)

They have the mite all the time but the immune system keeps it in check so I am assuming what with the loss of his friend and now moulting, his immune system has become weaker allowing the mite to get control. It's all the stress. MM recommends Echinacea to build up a bunny's immune system.

They have the mite all the time but the immune system keeps it in check so I am assuming what with the loss of his friend and now moulting, his immune system has become weaker allowing the mite to get control. It's all the stress. MM recommends Echinacea to build up a bunny's immune system.

Yeah, it can be a very good thing. Thanks for reminding me tonibun :)

Hi W&S, hi all...

I do hope Bleu feels better soon - if it's any consolation, my minilops also showed signs of mites after they lost their buddy, it was very much out of nowhere and when I read up on it, I also read similar articles to Tonibun's wisdom there, that suggests that nearly all bunnies carry a benign level of mites, but they keep them in check with grooming when they're feeling well.

..I have 2 new buns, one with very mild signs of walking dandruff, and interestingly the new vet I saw yesterday also said just two treatments (a week to 10 days apart). I wonder whether their advice depends on how severe it is? I tend to agree though - best to be safe than sorry. I am treating both new bunnies who are currently in my lounge, but not my other buns who are separate; out in the garden...and am just being a hygiene freak between handling (including changing my clothing).

I have ordered from VetUK in the past - like you, I just looked for the best price online!

Best of luck, the Xeno works really well in my previous experience x x

Thanks tonibun, Yeah I use Echinacea when the snuffles licks off again but funnily enough they haven't had it this year so thanks for reminding me to get some more tablets in. MM is right I works amazing on my buns and she got me started on it when I first got willow and squiggles.

Hi W&S, hi all...

I do hope Bleu feels better soon - if it's any consolation, my minilops also showed signs of mites after they lost their buddy, it was very much out of nowhere and when I read up on it, I also read similar articles to Tonibun's wisdom there, that suggests that nearly all bunnies carry a benign level of mites, but they keep them in check with grooming when they're feeling well.

..I have 2 new buns, one with very mild signs of walking dandruff, and interestingly the new vet I saw yesterday also said just two treatments (a week to 10 days apart). I wonder whether their advice depends on how severe it is? I tend to agree though - best to be safe than sorry. I am treating both new bunnies who are currently in my lounge, but not my other buns who are separate; out in the garden...and am just being a hygiene freak between handling (including changing my clothing).

I have ordered from VetUK in the past - like you, I just looked for the best price online!

Best of luck, the Xeno works really well in my previous experience x x

I'm doing exactly the same :lol: I'm driving my hubby max with the hoover.

Back