• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does rabbit shed fur madly eats a little bit less than normal?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
My buns used to shed fur in Feb., but this Feb. they never did. In the past 2 weeks, my senior bun is shedding a huge amt. of fur. So I use the exotic rabbit fur trimmer to trim her fur twice.

I notice there is a little bit of pellet and a little bit of blackberry left over today. And in the past week, she eat 1/2 a coin of banana instead of 2 coin size of banana.

Just this evening, I took her outside and brush quiet a bit more fur off her body, thank God for for a moderate amt. of wind.

So w/ all these fur shedding, do they eat a little bit less?

My buns used to shed fur in Feb., but this Feb. they never did. In the past 2 weeks, my senior bun is shedding a huge amt. of fur. So I use the exotic rabbit fur trimmer to trim her fur twice.

I notice there is a little bit of pellet and a little bit of blackberry left over today. And in the past week, she eat 1/2 a coin of banana instead of 2 coin size of banana.

Just this evening, I took her outside and brush quiet a bit more fur off her body, thank God for for a moderate amt. of wind.

Rabbits who's gut motility is slowing down for whatever reason will eat less and their poo output eventually reduces in size/quantity too. Monitoring poo output gives a better idea of how well the GI tract is working than only noting what the Rabbit is eating.

What is their poo output like ?

I'd try to increase their fluid intake by encouraging them to drink as much water as possible. Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl than from a sipper bottle. I'd feed any veg wet from being rinsed. Hay/Grass is also important to promote good gut motility, as is lots of exercise .

Her poos is very good. It has that golden yellow color, the size and quantity is pretty much the same.

She likes the green more than the pellet and the blackberry, but that has always been the case. So I'll put the same green out but wet it more so w/ water.

The only other strange behaviour is he explores the bathroom for the first few times this week. She chew on the baseboard in the bathroom and I saw her near the toilet bowl. But that could be because she's separate from my new bun Fudgie and doesn't have the mean to explore downstair.

The snow in my backyard is mostly gone. I need to wait the sun to shine in for 2 weeks at my backyard before I can let them out and start the bonding

I would go with what Jane suggested, and fully groom them to remove any loose fur at least twice a week. If they are ingesting the fur, it will affect their gut.

When a rabbit sheds, they often ingest a lot of fur which in turn can cause the gut to slow down and them to eat less.

Have a look at the poos and see whether they are still the same size. Keeping a rabbit well hydrated and also with lots of hay and fresh grass is essential.

I also groom my rabbits every day when they are moulting, to avert any possible stasis :)

I wonder for those who groom them w/ a brush, how many brush full do you do a day? Because no wonder how many times I brush it, the brush got full, I wet th brush, pull the fur out of the brush, and the cycle repeats. I can easily do 10 brushes full, and there is still more to do. So each time this happens, I'm tempted to use my exotic pet trimmer to trim her again

I use a metal toothed dog comb on my rabbits as I find it does a better job than a brush. If she is moulting heavily, give her a good groom daily until the amount of loose fur starts to decrease. There will always be some more that will come out, no matter how thorough you are. If you keep going for too long, the rabbit will get fed up as well - so a regular, short but thorough going over is what I would recommend.

Trimming the fur won't stop the moult - it just makes each hair shorter - although it may help to reduce the amount ingested.

I wonder for those who groom them w/ a brush, how many brush full do you do a day? Because no wonder how many times I brush it, the brush got full, I wet th brush, pull the fur out of the brush, and the cycle repeats. I can easily do 10 brushes full, and there is still more to do. So each time this happens, I'm tempted to use my exotic pet trimmer to trim her again

I use a comb like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-P...pID=41uS-kF135L&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I also groom a couple of times daily - more if moulting really excessively! :)

Back