Thread: How old does a bunny need to be to use ivermectin?

Default How old does a bunny need to be to use ivermectin?

Does anyone know the youngest age (weeks?) a bunny can undergo treatment for lice with ivermectin, please?
    (and what sort of dose -- (guessing xeno 450 too high a dose, but know it comes in 200s and 50s too!) perhaps dependent on weight?)

Any advice gratefully received -- it's an 8 week old bunny with a handful of walking dandruff (very minor but we'd want to treat before it became an issue... his litter mate does not appear to have it, but I'd assume we'd treat her too of course!)...

Thanks as ever lovely bunny people
    x

Bumping up for you.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mama Doe

For reference:
    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-450528

The mites are often an indicator that there are other issues that need addressing. I would suggest asking your vet to check the rabbits over, and to confirm if the diagnosis / treatment before using any treatments yourself, especially in such young rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    For reference:
    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-450528

The mites are often an indicator that there are other issues that need addressing. I would suggest asking your vet to check the rabbits over, and to confirm if the diagnosis / treatment before using any treatments yourself, especially in such young rabbits.

Myxomatosis , RHD1 & RHD2 - Vaccinations are ESSENTIAL to protect your Rabbit(s)
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...rum-Moderator)

Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF)~ Britains Biggest and Best Organisation for Everyone who Loves Rabbits
    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Reference links for various Rabbit Health problems :
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...99#post7048099

Quote Originally Posted by Squishies View Post
    Does anyone know the youngest age (weeks?) a bunny can undergo treatment for lice with ivermectin, please?
    (and what sort of dose -- (guessing xeno 450 too high a dose, but know it comes in 200s and 50s too!) perhaps dependent on weight?)

Any advice gratefully received -- it's an 8 week old bunny with a handful of walking dandruff (very minor but we'd want to treat before it became an issue... his litter mate does not appear to have it, but I'd assume we'd treat her too of course!)...

Thanks as ever lovely bunny people
    x

Hi there

Lovely to hear about your two new additions

The data sheet doesn't give any advice at all on the age at which a rabbit can take ivermectin, unfortunately.

There is other info that says a rabbit should be a certain weight before administering. I should get back to the vet (phone?) and ask them about dosage and age. Though I'm guessing they won't be sure on the age factor as well

Good luck with the other issues - I really hope that things improve
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Thanks all, that's really helpful - much appreciated!
    ...off to the vets this evening for a check over and first vaccinations, so I will ask then. In the meantime, yes, Shimmer, it does also make me think I should keep a close eye on how he's doing more generally, just in case thanks again x x
    Last edited by Squishies; 23-04-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo!

Wise Old Thumper

I would be inclined to get the mite problem sorted before you have him vaccinated as his immune system might be suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I would be inclined to get the mite problem sorted before you have him vaccinated as his immune system might be suppressed.

I would agree with this. Especially in such young rabbits
    Up to date and comprehensive info on RHD2:
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...16-Sept/page14
    An extensive guide to all things RHD2 - Please Vaccinate!

Thanks all, I would also have been inclined to think that mites are usually a sign of lower immunity & something else going on...
    ...the vet couldn't see mites (but I definitely saw some white dots moving!) so it's clearly not a terrible infestation, but, but, buuuuuut, the vet did say that his back teeth do not quite align properly and he has some mild convuntivitis.

So... drops for his eyes, and precautionary xeno for both for now. And close monitoring of the teeth herein [this is the scarier bit, I think? -- a couple of the mites articles did talk about young buns, and buns that were struggling to groom because of teeth issues]

...frustratingly, I only got to read your more recent replies (re: holding off on the combined vaccine - very sensible) when I got back, so he also administered the vaccines. I did ask about contraindications, but he just shook his head

Will keep you all updated of progress -- thanks again for the kind thoughts and sensible advice as always x x

Just to update (and I will also create a new thread...) little one's eye all cleared up and no sign of any walking dandruff.
    ...he is eating everything in sight and brightly roaming around binkying...BUT...today when I went to give him another dosing of Xeno to complete the course, I looked more closely at what (at a glance) looked like a tuft of fur out of alignment on his ear, and it was actually a small lump - 3 small lumps seemingly appeared within a few days on his outer ear. You wouldn't know unless you felt the ear, but it is all very odd and like nothing I've seen or heard about. Very strange and worrying.