• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How old does a bunny need to be to use ivermectin?

Squishies

Warren Scout
Does anyone know the youngest age (weeks?) a bunny can undergo treatment for lice with ivermectin, please?
(and what sort of dose -- (guessing xeno 450 too high a dose, but know it comes in 200s and 50s too!) perhaps dependent on weight?)

Any advice gratefully received -- it's an 8 week old bunny with a handful of walking dandruff (very minor but we'd want to treat before it became an issue... his litter mate does not appear to have it, but I'd assume we'd treat her too of course!)...

Thanks as ever lovely bunny people
x

For reference:
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-450528

The mites are often an indicator that there are other issues that need addressing. I would suggest asking your vet to check the rabbits over, and to confirm if the diagnosis / treatment before using any treatments yourself, especially in such young rabbits.

Does anyone know the youngest age (weeks?) a bunny can undergo treatment for lice with ivermectin, please?
(and what sort of dose -- (guessing xeno 450 too high a dose, but know it comes in 200s and 50s too!) perhaps dependent on weight?)

Any advice gratefully received -- it's an 8 week old bunny with a handful of walking dandruff (very minor but we'd want to treat before it became an issue... his litter mate does not appear to have it, but I'd assume we'd treat her too of course!)...

Thanks as ever lovely bunny people
x

Hi there :wave:

Lovely to hear about your two new additions :love:

The data sheet doesn't give any advice at all on the age at which a rabbit can take ivermectin, unfortunately.

There is other info that says a rabbit should be a certain weight before administering. I should get back to the vet (phone?) and ask them about dosage and age. Though I'm guessing they won't be sure on the age factor as well :lol:

Good luck with the other issues - I really hope that things improve :)

Thanks all, that's really helpful - much appreciated!
...off to the vets this evening for a check over and first vaccinations, so I will ask then. In the meantime, yes, Shimmer, it does also make me think I should keep a close eye on how he's doing more generally, just in case :( thanks again x x

Last edited:
I would be inclined to get the mite problem sorted before you have him vaccinated as his immune system might be suppressed.

Thanks all, I would also have been inclined to think that mites are usually a sign of lower immunity & something else going on...
...the vet couldn't see mites (but I definitely saw some white dots moving!) so it's clearly not a terrible infestation, but, but, buuuuuut, the vet did say that his back teeth do not quite align properly :cry: and he has some mild convuntivitis.

So... drops for his eyes, and precautionary xeno for both for now. And close monitoring of the teeth herein [this is the scarier bit, I think? -- a couple of the mites articles did talk about young buns, and buns that were struggling to groom because of teeth issues]

...frustratingly, I only got to read your more recent replies (re: holding off on the combined vaccine - very sensible) when I got back, so he also administered the vaccines. I did ask about contraindications, but he just shook his head :shock:

Will keep you all updated of progress -- thanks again for the kind thoughts and sensible advice as always x x

Just to update (and I will also create a new thread...:cry:) little one's eye all cleared up and no sign of any walking dandruff.
...he is eating everything in sight and brightly roaming around binkying...BUT...today when I went to give him another dosing of Xeno to complete the course, I looked more closely at what (at a glance) looked like a tuft of fur out of alignment on his ear, and it was actually a small lump - 3 small lumps seemingly appeared within a few days on his outer ear. You wouldn't know unless you felt the ear, but it is all very odd and like nothing I've seen or heard about. Very strange and worrying.

Back