• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Technique for putting eye drops in?

HouseOfRabbit

Warren Scout
Had to take Sylvester to the vets yesterday and he's got a blocked and infected tear duct in his right eye. I'm having to put drops in three times a day but was wondering if anyone had tips for doing this single handed at all so the drops get to where they should be?

He's a very small (1.55kg) and fluffy bunny so it's not easy holding the fluff out of the way.

I would try putting bunny on a table or similar with a towel underneath and steady the bunny with left hand while applying the drops. Try to get them straight into the eye by holding the lower lid down. Good luck, it isn't easy single-handed.

I would try putting bunny on a table or similar with a towel underneath and steady the bunny with left hand while applying the drops. Try to get them straight into the eye by holding the lower lid down. Good luck, it isn't easy single-handed.

I agree with tonibun :)

I am used to doing most things single handedly so don't have an issue - I have to do them 8 times daily so I've had to practise :lol:

Thanks for the tips :) Think it went a bit better today even if catching the little hooligan is starting to be a challenge.

Quick question though - if Sylvester is sneezing afterwards I take it that's a good sign that the drops are getting through the tear duct? His incisors were checked during the exam and there weren't any problems.

Thanks for the tips :) Think it went a bit better today even if catching the little hooligan is starting to be a challenge.

Quick question though - if Sylvester is sneezing afterwards I take it that's a good sign that the drops are getting through the tear duct? His incisors were checked during the exam and there weren't any problems.

Yes I think it probably is a good sign :)

Sneezing can sometimes occur as the medication drains into the nasolacrimal duct. It means that the duct is draining-ie not blocked :)

How many days do you have left to go?

Try catching multiple rabbits for a 28 days course of Panacur :shock::shock:

Sneezing can sometimes occur as the medication drains into the nasolacrimal duct. It means that the duct is draining-ie not blocked :)

Great, that's definitely an improvement then :)

Jason the vet tried to do a tear duct flush when Sylvester saw him but was only able to get a very small amount of pus out. So glad I live close to a rabbit vet, makes life a lot easier.

How many days do you have left to go?

Try catching multiple rabbits for a 28 days course of Panacur :shock::shock:

Multiple rabbits + 28 days?! One rabbit is bad enough but multiple.....eeeck!

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm waiting on the results of a bacterial culture (should be ready Wednesday) so I can double check then but I'm guessing that it will be a minimum of 10 days from last Friday seeing as that's when the follow up appointment will be.

Last edited:
Great, that's definitely an improvement then :)

Jason the vet tried to do a tear duct flush when Sylvester saw him but was only able to get a very small amount of pus out. So glad I live close to a rabbit vet, makes life a lot easier.

Multiple rabbits + 28 days?! One rabbit is bad enough but multiple.....eeeck!

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm waiting on the results of a bacterial culture (should be ready Wednesday) so I can double check then but I'm guessing that it will be a minimum of 10 days from last Friday seeing as that's when the follow up appointment will be.

Sometimes a vet will flush the tear duct with Baytril to make sure it catches as many bacteria as possible on the way through :thumb:

Back