• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spring Fever!

Help! I have two mini lop does (Mabel & Martha) who are coming up to a year old. A mixture of teenage angst and spring fever has well and truly taken hold this last week or so.

Both have been spayed a few months ago - but with Mabel's spay, the vet couldn't find a womb/ovaries to remove. She is the one causing the issues, so I wonder whether it's a hormonal issue, or purely a dominance war?? I have also read that Spring in general makes them crazy - and the change in temperature has made a massive difference in behaviour.

Both buns are free roam in my kitchen - Mabel has been constantly chinning everything, pooping everywhere and scenting (litter habbits are usually quite good), but the main issue is the constant attempt to mount poor Martha!

Martha is not retaliating, and hasn't tried to mount Mabel too much, and luckily things haven't gotten violent between the two of them yet. Martha is clever enough to head to a corner of the room with her bum to the wall!

I am mostly worried about the affect it is having on Martha, and the relationship between the two girls in the long run. Surely one of them needs to give in and let the other be dominant - but what if neither does?

Is there anything I can do to help? I've tried a little stress bonding but feel like Martha has enough stress in her life at the moment - and have tried banana mush on each of their heads to get the other grooming.

Any advice is welcome. I want my loving buns back :(

Help! I have two mini lop does (Mabel & Martha) who are coming up to a year old. A mixture of teenage angst and spring fever has well and truly taken hold this last week or so.

Both have been spayed a few months ago - but with Mabel's spay, the vet couldn't find a womb/ovaries to remove. She is the one causing the issues, so I wonder whether it's a hormonal issue, or purely a dominance war?? I have also read that Spring in general makes them crazy - and the change in temperature has made a massive difference in behaviour.

Both buns are free roam in my kitchen - Mabel has been constantly chinning everything, pooping everywhere and scenting (litter habbits are usually quite good), but the main issue is the constant attempt to mount poor Martha!

Martha is not retaliating, and hasn't tried to mount Mabel too much, and luckily things haven't gotten violent between the two of them yet. Martha is clever enough to head to a corner of the room with her bum to the wall!

I am mostly worried about the affect it is having on Martha, and the relationship between the two girls in the long run. Surely one of them needs to give in and let the other be dominant - but what if neither does?

Is there anything I can do to help? I've tried a little stress bonding but feel like Martha has enough stress in her life at the moment - and have tried banana mush on each of their heads to get the other grooming.

I assume that the Vet checked to see if Mabel had any retained male gonads during the 'spay' ?

Have you looked at Mabel's 'undercarriage' recently to see if you can see any testicles. As bizarre as it sounds this situation can happen.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Yes Spring Fever can make rabbits who are normally quite placid behave differently as you've discovered.

I should have a chat with your vet about Mabel. I am sure your vet is experienced with rabbits but a male can of course retract their testicles and this would/could be confusing! He may have some other ideas on what he found or didn't find during the operation to discuss with you.

I think your vet is the first port of call - give them a ring and explain the situation and good luck! xx

I assume that the Vet checked to see if Mabel had any retained male gonads during the 'spay' ?

Have you looked at Mabel's 'undercarriage' recently to see if you can see any testicles. As bizarre as it sounds this situation can happen.

Hello! Thanks for your reply. Yes, the vet confirmed she was definitely a female - either born womb-less, or spayed too early for the womb to be fully developed (although he has a decent rummage around inside her!) I left it a few more months before I neutered Martha and she was straightforward.

Worth another check I guess. And if she hasn't technically been spayed, she might still have hormones running wild. I will check her over tonight!

Thank you :)

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Yes Spring Fever can make rabbits who are normally quite placid behave differently as you've discovered.

I should have a chat with your vet about Mabel. I am sure your vet is experienced with rabbits but a male can of course retract their testicles and this would/could be confusing! He may have some other ideas on what he found or didn't find during the operation to discuss with you.

I think your vet is the first port of call - give them a ring and explain the situation and good luck! xx

Thank you! Nice to meet you :)

I think you're right. I will give the vet a try and see what advice they can suggest. They did say if she starts acting hormonally, they can take bloods/scans and possibly operate again, although I would be reluctant to put her through the surgery again :(

I've been thinking it is purely a dominance display, but perhaps more than that?

Thank you! Nice to meet you :)

I think you're right. I will give the vet a try and see what advice they can suggest. They did say if she starts acting hormonally, they can take bloods/scans and possibly operate again, although I would be reluctant to put her through the surgery again :(

I've been thinking it is purely a dominance display, but perhaps more than that?

It could be purely dominance, but asking the vet who did the actual op what you should do next would be the first thing I would consider. As you are, I would also be reluctant to put her through another surgery without a very good reason.

Back