• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ileus in dwarf lop rabbit.

Ldunners

New Kit
Hello everyone,

After a bit of advice really.

My bunny has been diagnosed with Ileus. We noticed Saturday she hasn't really been herself wasn't eating and not pooping. We took her straight to the vets who have started her on ranitidine, emeprid some painkillers and initially some recovery feed.

We took her back to the vets Sunday and they still said syringe feed her every 2 hours because she was still full of gas and hadn't pooped. She started nibbling a carrot on sunday.

Now on Monday she was a lot brighter, she even ate more carrot and some apple. We have been syringing her water as she isn't drinking out of her bottle.

Today she seems to have gone down again. We have been keeping up with the 2 hourly feeding throughout the day and night as well as giving her the medications every 8 hours.

I have offered her carrot, strawberry, radish and kale and she won't touch any of it. She won't eat the hay either.

Has anyone experienced this at all?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear your rabbit is still not eating properly. You really need to take her back to the Vets as a rabbit not eating is very serious.

Hello everyone,

My bunny has been diagnosed with Ileus. We noticed Saturday she hasn't really been herself wasn't eating and not pooping. We took her straight to the vets who have started her on ranitidine, emeprid some painkillers and initially some recovery feed.

We took her back to the vets Sunday and they still said syringe feed her every 2 hours because she was still full of gas and hadn't pooped. She started nibbling a carrot on sunday.

Now on Monday she was a lot brighter, she even ate more carrot and some apple. We have been syringing her water as she isn't drinking out of her bottle.

Today she seems to have gone down again. We have been keeping up with the 2 hourly feeding throughout the day and night as well as giving her the medications every 8 hours.

I have offered her carrot, strawberry, radish and kale and she won't touch any of it. She won't eat the hay either.

She really needs to go back to the vet I think :(

Also so small but she may drink out of a bowl easier xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

Has she passed any poo yet ? I assume that the Vet ruled out any chance of a GI tract obstruction ? Did the Vet take a Blood glucose reading ? A significantly raised blood glucose can be an indicator of a GI tract obstruction.

Did the Vet suggest any possible causes for the Ileus ? Eg Dental problems ?

These links may be useful to take a look at

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/diagnosing-and-treating-gastric-ileusstasis-rabbits-proceedings

Hello everyone,

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

As Grace and tonibun have said, she really needs to see the vet again. It may be that dental problems are causing her pain and so preventing her from eating.

Has she done any poos? Output is just as important as input.

Some info here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

Hello all,

Thank you all for you're replies

The vet checked her teeth and said everything is fine. She has pooped a little Sunday, Monday and a little today. The vet wants to leave her a couple of days to see whether she improves.

Things were looking good yesterday and since she's come back from the vet she's not herself again.

I was thinking maybe she's not hungry because we are syringe feeding her every 2 hours with 5ml of food and 5ml of water. When we felt her tummy Saturday it was rock hard now she's been on the medication it's very soft. The vet said there wasn't a blockage.

Last edited:
Hello all,

The vet checked her teeth and said everything is fine. She has pooped a little Sunday, Monday and a little today. The vet wants to leave her a couple of days to see whether she improves.

Things were looking good yesterday and since she's come back from the vet she's not herself again.

I was thinking maybe she's not hungry because we are syringe feeding her every 2 hours with 5ml of food and 5ml of water. When we felt her tummy Saturday it was rock hard now she's been on the medication it's very soft. The vet said there wasn't a blockage.

If she's taking the syringe feed well (ie hungry) then you could leave off for one meal and see whether she eats on her own.

I often give fresh picked grass, or herbs - coriander, dill and parsley are all good. If you crush the leaves, it releases the aroma and sometimes stimulates appetite.

It often takes a while for a rabbit to get over ileus. Sometimes a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks.

Hello all,

I was thinking maybe she's not hungry because we are syringe feeding her every 2 hours with 5ml of food and 5ml of water.

5ml of food every 2 hours is not really much at all and I would doubt that that alone is causing the anorexia. Was it yesterday that the Vet examined her again or today ?

Fluid therapy is almost always essential in cases of gut stasis/ileus- ie fluids given either IV/or subcutaneously as well as orally. When a Rabbit is in gut stasis water is rapidly drawn out of any ingesta within the GI tract. Thus the ingesta becomes dehydrated and less likely to be able to pass through.

What is the general demeanour of you Rabbit ? Is she bright and active or is she very 'flat'- depressed and uninterested in her surroundings ?

Hello everyone.

Sadly Lola suffered a fit about half an hour after my last post. We rushed her to the vets but she passed away on the table. They seem to now think she may have had a tumour.

Thanks all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone.

Sadly Lola suffered a fit about half an hour after my last post. We rushed her to the vets but she passed away on the table. They seem to now think she may have had a tumour.

I'm so sorry for your sad loss :(

Hello everyone.

I am very sorry :cry:

RIP Luna x

Back