• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

May Foraging - Twigs Way

So glad you went - it's a great atmosphere and wonderful weather for foraging!

Did you go by the old church?
No, we didn't wander that far. We did however go to Twigs' allotment to see cultivation weeds. (Ones that farmers and allotments are prone to).

I absolutely adore Twigs home and garden. It's incredibly beautiful and the animals in her care have such amazing lives.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Oh no I completely forgot about this! how was the day? What did you get up to?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
We had some tea and hellos while Twigs showed people who had never been before her set ups etc.

We then started with a little exercise where you walk around Twigs garden and find 5 wild flowers you recognise as safe, and two you don't know.

Then we went for a walk around the village with a few pages full of plant pictures. Name the plant if you can, and bring back samples so we can identify them all together. We also identified 5 known toxic ones so we are able to confidently identify and avoid them.

Had a little lunch then went off to Twigs allotment to see some plants that you don't normally get in verges etc.

Back for some cake and more tea, some more chat time then we all went home.

The day honestly went so so quickly and was really informative. It's been a great help as there were many I recognised from the wooded areas here but I couldn't confidently identify them (Herb Robert is one of them). I can now confidently identify it and hopefully the buns will enjoy.

We managed to take some forage home and the girls have confidently eaten the dandelions and Prickly Lettuce (Something they've never had before). They've left the other plants for now.

We had some tea and hellos while Twigs showed people who had never been before her set ups etc.

We then started with a little exercise where you walk around Twigs garden and find 5 wild flowers you recognise as safe, and two you don't know.

Then we went for a walk around the village with a few pages full of plant pictures. Name the plant if you can, and bring back samples so we can identify them all together. We also identified 5 known toxic ones so we are able to confidently identify and avoid them.

Had a little lunch then went off to Twigs allotment to see some plants that you don't normally get in verges etc.

The day honestly went so so quickly and was really informative. It's been a great help as there were many I recognised from the wooded areas here but I couldn't confidently identify them (Herb Robert is one of them). I can now confidently identify it and hopefully the buns will enjoy.

We managed to take some forage home and the girls have confidently eaten the dandelions and Prickly Lettuce (Something they've never had before). They've left the other plants for now.

Wow that sounds really good fun. Hopefully she will another next year. How many of you went just out of interest?

Wow that sounds really good fun. Hopefully she will another next year. How many of you went just out of interest?

12 or 13 today... another 12 or 13 tomorrow I believe.

Forgot to say the food was homemade... beens years since I had homemade bread - it was amazing.

Sounds like you had a super time :D Out of interest which of the new plants did the girls reject?

Hi! It was lovely meeting you too DP! Such a lovely day, I’m quite tired now, long drive but we’ll worth it. Everyone was lovely, I was probably the least knowledgeable on wild flowers but it was so interesting and I can now identify a few! Twigs house is amazing, so peaceful and she’s very knowledgeable. I’ll probably do the next one as well, even the gardening for rabbits if there is one coming up. I think the price is great, £30 which included lunch. I told a couple of others about RU forum so maybe get another few members soon! Xx

Just wonderful - Twigs house is amazing :D

The bunnies there have an awesome time!

Sounds like you had a super time :D Out of interest which of the new plants did the girls reject?
Jack in the hedge and Marrow ? I might have Marrow wrong.. will need to check that with OH at some point.... I know it begins with an M...

That's the one :thumb: Thank you :)

They have eaten the Mallow that was left out over night. They've eaten the leaves and flowers from Jack in the Hedge but left the stems.

Mine will eat all types of Mallow, but it's not their first choice in a selection. Jack in the Hedge gets eaten eventually if they are really hungry, but can sometimes be left. Leaves and flowers seem to be the tastiest parts of most plants.

I'm very jealous. Sounds like an amazing opportunity. I'm new to foraging but am loving it. It is practically becoming a hobby. I have a reasonable wild plant knowledge but still am very cautious for fear of making a mistake. I try only one new thing at a time. Yesterday it was rosebay willow herb- went down a treat! My top tip is wear long jeans for hedgerows-I'm fedup of being nettled[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Julia - perhaps you can come next year? You’d have to stay overnight, bit far for you! I’m definitely going again, I started off from scratch really but I’m confident with a few things now and will be able to put less in the brown bin and more for the bunnies. I have an allotment and Twigs showed us what plants could be found there (Mallow etc) so I’ll be off down later to gather some more. I’m going to start drying some too, need to figure out where to do that. Any ideas anyone? Is it better outside in the sun or in the shed?

Julia - perhaps you can come next year? You’d have to stay overnight, bit far for you! I’m definitely going again, I started off from scratch really but I’m confident with a few things now and will be able to put less in the brown bin and more for the bunnies. I have an allotment and Twigs showed us what plants could be found there (Mallow etc) so I’ll be off down later to gather some more. I’m going to start drying some too, need to figure out where to do that. Any ideas anyone? Is it better outside in the sun or in the shed?
You can get dehydrators which make the job a bit easier for leaves etc.

In the sun is also easier than inside. Just make sure you don't make a pile, lay them out evenly so they're not covering each other and they normally dry within a couple hours with direct sunlight.

That's the one :thumb: Thank you :)

They have eaten the Mallow that was left out over night. They've eaten the leaves and flowers from Jack in the Hedge but left the stems.

:thumb:

Yes I found Mallow at Twigs' place, but I am not sure I have it here .....

I'm very jealous. Sounds like an amazing opportunity. I'm new to foraging but am loving it. It is practically becoming a hobby. I have a reasonable wild plant knowledge but still am very cautious for fear of making a mistake. I try only one new thing at a time. Yesterday it was rosebay willow herb- went down a treat! My top tip is wear long jeans for hedgerows-I'm fedup of being nettled[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

There's a Premier Inn only a couple of miles away from Twigs. I stayed there when I went to the day, although Twigs very generously offered to put me up for the night, I figured she had enough in her hands getting ready. She is a wonderful generous lady and like others I'm so jealous of her home!

Back