• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jess has been spayed - aftercare

Sarah298

Young Bun
Jess went in for her spay today following the vets advice of bullying between her and her Mum. The op went well however due to her weight they said it was a little more intrusive as she is a larger rabbit. I collected her at 5pm and was told she had eaten and had been syringe fed but hadn’t been to the toilet.

Since getting home she has just been laying in our bedroom quietly, not interested in any food. She’s had some metacam around 7pm. Would I be right to try and feed her some critical care or is this normal post op?.. after Betty suffering with stasis I don’t want Jess to go through that as well.

Last edited:
Could you try tempting her with fresh herbs or something that she really likes/ a favourite treat?
If she hasn't produced droppings since 5pm, it could indicate that her gut is slowing down. I'd ring the vet to seek advice. If she does have gut stasis, the earlier it's caught the better.
I hope she's okay x

I would continue with the syringe feeding tonight. Without any food going in, nothing will come out.
Has she had any gut stimulant - often it is given as an injection whilst at the vet.
If there are no droppings by morning and she isn't eating anything by herself, I would ring your vet and ask for advice.
I find that dandelion leaves and fresh grass usually go down well after an op.

Jess went in for her spay today following the vets advice of bullying between her and her Mum. The op went well however due to her weight they said it was a little more intrusive as she is a larger rabbit. I collected her at 5pm and was told she had eaten and had been syringe fed but hadn’t been to the toilet.

Since getting home she has just been laying in our bedroom quietly, not interested in any food. She’s had some metacam around 7pm. Would I be right to try and feed her some critical care or is this normal post op?.. after Betty suffering with stasis I don’t want Jess to go through that as well.

Hi Sarah

It's normal for rabbits to be down after a spay. I would continue to syringe feed, and as Sarahbun has mentioned, perhaps tempt her with some fresh herbs. I sometimes find crushing the herbs and tickling their noses with it gets them eating again. Parsley, coriander, dill and that sort of thing are usually good for stimulating appetite.

Have you any dandelion leaves in the garden? They are also usually tempting.

Is she outdoors or indoors? She will need to be kept warm, as after a GA a rabbit can't regulate their own temperature.

Give the vet a call in the morning and tell them. You should already have a post-spay appointment booked and they might want to bring this forward.

Good luck xx

Thanks for your replies guys :) xx

I called the vet and she suggested putting critical care on a plate. She did say to call back in a hour if nothing had changed but that would mean emergency fees and money isn’t great what with Betty a couple weeks ago. Jess has been licking the syringe slightly so I’m hoping she’s getting something at least and I can stay up through the night trying with more veg.

She’s indoors. Have tried some dill, parsley, mint and kale. a couple times it’s looked as if she was going to eat something and then changed her mind. How much/ often should I be syringe feeding? She has post op check booked for Thurs morning.

Thanks for your replies guys :) xx

I called the vet and she suggested putting critical care on a plate. She did say to call back in a hour if nothing had changed but that would mean emergency fees and money isn’t great what with Betty a couple weeks ago. Jess has been licking the syringe slightly so I’m hoping she’s getting something at least and I can stay up through the night trying with more veg.

She’s indoors. Have tried some dill, parsley, mint and kale. a couple times it’s looked as if she was going to eat something and then changed her mind. How much/ often should I be syringe feeding? She has post op check booked for Thurs morning.

You could bring that appointment forward if necessary. I would syringe feed tonight and if you can, once during the night.

My buns aren't that keen on critical care and water, so I mix it with some organic baby food. Mine like this:

https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/collections/all/products/carrots-apples-parsnips

https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/collections/all/products/strawberries-apples

Or you can puree some veg and apple and see if it goes down better?

You could bring that appointment forward if necessary. I would syringe feed tonight and if you can, once during the night.

My buns aren't that keen on critical care and water, so I mix it with some organic baby food. Mine like this:

https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/collections/all/products/carrots-apples-parsnips

https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/collections/all/products/strawberries-apples

Or you can puree some veg and apple and see if it goes down better?

Will give that a try thanks :) is that mixed the same so 1 part critical care 2 parts baby food or just the baby food?

She just seems really fed up or uncomfortable as she just grabs the syringe and tries to throw it out of the way.

Last edited:
Will give that a try thanks :) is that mixed the same so 1 part critical care 2 parts baby food or just the baby food?

She just seems really fed up or uncomfortable as she just grabs the syringe and tries to throw it out of the way.

I would add in the critical care, or ground up pellets (if you think she's more likely to eat her own food). Basically a mush of baby food (or puree) and either pellets or some recovery food. Baby food alone won't have enough substance to it.

How's news this morning. I hope she's doing well xxx

Still hasn’t been toilet, she’s ate some critical care through the night but not a lot at all :(. She seemsmoo taking it, when she wants it she will just lick the end of the syringe. The vets have asked to see her at 9.45, fingers crossed she improves by then.

sending lots of vibes for your gorgeous girl..

It may be she is still in quite alot of pain, I know with my previous girly Honey we had to have some tramadol which is stronger pain relief. Once on the Tramadol, she perked up and started eating again. But also, are you giving her Zantac? (ranintadine) as I know all my bunnies have had this after operations to help keep the gut moving

We also found fresh grass and fresh herbs was what she ate first, along with the odd strand of hay.

Loads of vibes from me also and really hoping she’s feeling a bit better this morning xx

All three of my girls I’ve had spayed have been slow to eat after the op and I remember sitting up most of the night trying to get Bella to eat. Alys, my latest, had her surgery at a new, more rabbit savvy practice and had an overnight stay - which is routine there - as they say this is so common. Really hope she’s picking up this morning.

Loads of vibes from me also and really hoping she’s feeling a bit better this morning xx

All three of my girls I’ve had spayed have been slow to eat after the op and I remember sitting up most of the night trying to get Bella to eat. Alys, my latest, had her surgery at a new, more rabbit savvy practice and had an overnight stay - which is routine there - as they say this is so common. Really hope she’s picking up this morning.

It really is a big op. The last doe I had spayed took three days before she began eating again - worried me and the vet to death!

However, she was fine and the wound healed perfectly. It's just a tricky time right now.

Vibes and hugs x

Still hasn’t been toilet, she’s ate some critical care through the night but not a lot at all :(. She seemsmoo taking it, when she wants it she will just lick the end of the syringe. The vets have asked to see her at 9.45, fingers crossed she improves by then.

It's good that the Vet will be seeing her again as she may need more medication. Hopefully her gut motility will improve throughout today, the Vet sounds to be making sure that he/she monitors this important issue carefully. Sending lots of vibes for Jess xx

Thanks for your support everyone :)

Her gut is quiet obviously down to the lack of food. She was given a vetergesic injection (?) and has been sent home with some ranitidine for twice a day and metoclopramide every 8 hours. If she hasn’t improved by about 5ish I was told I would have to take her back :(. However she’s just got up and took a few steps so hopefully she will start to improve once the injection kicks in!

I want to try her with critical care again but she had some around 7am and having just given her some meds I’m thinking I might let her settle for an hour before trying? Will go and pick some fresh grass as well.

Her gut is quiet obviously down to the lack of food. She was given a vetergesic injection (?) and has been sent home with some ranitidine for twice a day and metoclopramide every 8 hours. If she hasn’t improved by about 5ish I was told I would have to take her back :(. However she’s just got up and took a few steps so hopefully she will start to improve once the injection kicks in!

I want to try her with critical care again but she had some around 7am and having just given her some meds I’m thinking I might let her settle for an hour before trying? Will go and pick some fresh grass as well.

Vetergesic is often used during operations, and is a really good drug. But some rabbits get drowsy for quite long periods afterwards. It will wear off :)

Yes, get some fresh grass. I find rose leaves and brambles help with digestions and are tasty. Whatever you can find that she might like.

I would give her a quiet break before syringe feeding again. You're nursing her excellently :)

If the Vet gave her a Vetergesic injection this morning dont be too alarmed if Jess becomes very spaced out and drowsy. Vetergesic is an opiate analgesic and some Rabbits can be profoundly effected by it's sedating effects. It is an effective pain killer though. How much CC is she taking per feed ? iIf she is not eating at all for herself then she'd need about 10ml/kg every couple of hours if possible. If she is very drowsy you will need to be extra careful when syringe feeding so that she does not aspirate the CC. I expect the Vet already explained all that to you though :)

Fresh herbs often tempt an anorexic Rabbit to eat. Coriander is usually popular. Dandelion leaves are good too xx

If the Vet gave her a Vetergesic injection this morning dont be too alarmed if Jess becomes very spaced out and drowsy. Vetergesic is an opiate analgesic and some Rabbits can be profoundly effected by it's sedating effects. It is an effective pain killer though. How much CC is she taking per feed ? iIf she is not eating at all for herself then she'd need about 10ml/kg every couple of hours if possible. If she is very drowsy you will need to be extra careful when syringe feeding so that she does not aspirate the CC. I expect the Vet already explained all that to you though :)

Fresh herbs often tempt an anorexic Rabbit to eat. Coriander is usually popular. Dandelion leaves are good too xx

I asked the vet about how much critical care and how often and she just said little and often. She managed about half a syringe earlier and through the night it was less than that. Next time I go to feed her I will try and up it as I knew through the night she wasn’t getting enough. She weighs 3.3kg so she would need 2 syringes each time?

I asked the vet about how much critical care and how often and she just said little and often. She managed about half a syringe earlier and through the night it was less than that. Next time I go to feed her I will try and up it as I knew through the night she wasn’t getting enough. She weighs 3.3kg so she would need 2 syringes each time?

Yes there isn't really a set amount, as bunnies will just stop if they don't want any more. Sometimes I've managed a couple of syringes and sometimes over 20.

It depends what syringe you are using as to how many. I prefer to use a 1ml syringe for feeding a rabbit as it's easier to gauge and not so messy (ie not so much goes down their front).

Please don't get hung up on the amounts :)

As I mentioned, herbs are very good - coriander and parsley are faves here. Try and crush them up, release the aroma, tickle her nose with them and make her snatch them off you in disgust (and of course eat them).

Back