Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Jess has been spayed - aftercare

  1. #1
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    73

    Default Jess has been spayed - aftercare

    Jess went in for her spay today following the vets advice of bullying between her and her Mum. The op went well however due to her weight they said it was a little more intrusive as she is a larger rabbit. I collected her at 5pm and was told she had eaten and had been syringe fed but hadnít been to the toilet.

    Since getting home she has just been laying in our bedroom quietly, not interested in any food. Sheís had some metacam around 7pm. Would I be right to try and feed her some critical care or is this normal post op?.. after Betty suffering with stasis I donít want Jess to go through that as well.
    Last edited by Sarah298; 17-04-2018 at 08:32 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Could you try tempting her with fresh herbs or something that she really likes/ a favourite treat?
    If she hasn't produced droppings since 5pm, it could indicate that her gut is slowing down. I'd ring the vet to seek advice. If she does have gut stasis, the earlier it's caught the better.
    I hope she's okay x

  3. #3
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    I would continue with the syringe feeding tonight. Without any food going in, nothing will come out.
    Has she had any gut stimulant - often it is given as an injection whilst at the vet.
    If there are no droppings by morning and she isn't eating anything by herself, I would ring your vet and ask for advice.
    I find that dandelion leaves and fresh grass usually go down well after an op.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    Jess went in for her spay today following the vets advice of bullying between her and her Mum. The op went well however due to her weight they said it was a little more intrusive as she is a larger rabbit. I collected her at 5pm and was told she had eaten and had been syringe fed but hadnít been to the toilet.

    Since getting home she has just been laying in our bedroom quietly, not interested in any food. Sheís had some metacam around 7pm. Would I be right to try and feed her some critical care or is this normal post op?.. after Betty suffering with stasis I donít want Jess to go through that as well.

    Hi Sarah

    It's normal for rabbits to be down after a spay. I would continue to syringe feed, and as Sarahbun has mentioned, perhaps tempt her with some fresh herbs. I sometimes find crushing the herbs and tickling their noses with it gets them eating again. Parsley, coriander, dill and that sort of thing are usually good for stimulating appetite.

    Have you any dandelion leaves in the garden? They are also usually tempting.

    Is she outdoors or indoors? She will need to be kept warm, as after a GA a rabbit can't regulate their own temperature.

    Give the vet a call in the morning and tell them. You should already have a post-spay appointment booked and they might want to bring this forward.

    Good luck xx

  5. #5
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Thanks for your replies guys xx

    I called the vet and she suggested putting critical care on a plate. She did say to call back in a hour if nothing had changed but that would mean emergency fees and money isn’t great what with Betty a couple weeks ago. Jess has been licking the syringe slightly so I’m hoping she’s getting something at least and I can stay up through the night trying with more veg.

    She’s indoors. Have tried some dill, parsley, mint and kale. a couple times it’s looked as if she was going to eat something and then changed her mind. How much/ often should I be syringe feeding? She has post op check booked for Thurs morning.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    Thanks for your replies guys xx

    I called the vet and she suggested putting critical care on a plate. She did say to call back in a hour if nothing had changed but that would mean emergency fees and money isnít great what with Betty a couple weeks ago. Jess has been licking the syringe slightly so Iím hoping sheís getting something at least and I can stay up through the night trying with more veg.

    Sheís indoors. Have tried some dill, parsley, mint and kale. a couple times itís looked as if she was going to eat something and then changed her mind. How much/ often should I be syringe feeding? She has post op check booked for Thurs morning.

    You could bring that appointment forward if necessary. I would syringe feed tonight and if you can, once during the night.

    My buns aren't that keen on critical care and water, so I mix it with some organic baby food. Mine like this:

    https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/coll...pples-parsnips

    https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/coll...berries-apples


    Or you can puree some veg and apple and see if it goes down better?

  7. #7
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    You could bring that appointment forward if necessary. I would syringe feed tonight and if you can, once during the night.

    My buns aren't that keen on critical care and water, so I mix it with some organic baby food. Mine like this:

    https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/coll...pples-parsnips

    https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/coll...berries-apples


    Or you can puree some veg and apple and see if it goes down better?
    Will give that a try thanks is that mixed the same so 1 part critical care 2 parts baby food or just the baby food?

    She just seems really fed up or uncomfortable as she just grabs the syringe and tries to throw it out of the way.
    Last edited by Sarah298; 16-04-2018 at 11:29 PM.

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah298 View Post
    Will give that a try thanks is that mixed the same so 1 part critical care 2 parts baby food or just the baby food?

    She just seems really fed up or uncomfortable as she just grabs the syringe and tries to throw it out of the way.

    I would add in the critical care, or ground up pellets (if you think she's more likely to eat her own food). Basically a mush of baby food (or puree) and either pellets or some recovery food. Baby food alone won't have enough substance to it.

  9. #9
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    st helens england
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    How's news this morning. I hope she's doing well xxx

  10. #10
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    How's news this morning. I hope she's doing well xxx
    Still hasn’t been toilet, she’s ate some critical care through the night but not a lot at all . She seemsmoo taking it, when she wants it she will just lick the end of the syringe. The vets have asked to see her at 9.45, fingers crossed she improves by then.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •