• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wild rabbit died at work today :-(

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hey everyone.

I work on a nature reserve and today a lady walked over to tell me a rabbit was convulsing outside. I went outside and found it on its side breathing, but clearly unwell. It died shortly afterwards.

It had no obvious injuries that I could see, but I must admit I didn't get too close because I thought I was going to burst into tears. It looked so much like my Archie..

Anyway I'm wondering if the convulsions are a symptom of vhd or it could have just been a natural death?

Im worrying about my buns and me bringing something home. They are both vaccinated against vhd2 and vhd1, but I'm still worrying.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Poor Wildie :cry: It's impossible to say what the cause of death was. It might have been VHD, however rabbits will often convulse as they are dying (from whatever cause), so equally it might have been something else.

I would not be too concerned if I were you. The important thing is that Pip and Archie are up to date with their vaccinations.

Poor Wildie :cry: It's impossible to say what the cause of death was. It might have been VHD, however rabbits will often convulse as they are dying (from whatever cause), so equally it might have been something else.

I would not be too concerned if I were you. The important thing is that Pip and Archie are up to date with their vaccinations.

This. RIP wildie bun :cry: xx

Thanks Omi that has helped me relax a little. I just worry about my poppets.

I just wanted to help the little wildie, but knew as soon as I saw him/her there was nothing I could do. No one else understood at work, but I knew people would on here.

Sadly another wildie died today in exactly the same way! Very sad.

If its possibly vhd I or vhd2 do you report it? We don't have many records of it in our county yet.

Im not sure what else it could be :-(

Back