• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please please help, I think they're dying

RJ004

New Kit
So my brother's girlfriend came across two baby rabbits at the side of a road. Their mother had been killed, and so she picked them up and brought them home. I'm now looking after them for her until she can take care of them full time.
I've been syringe feeding them goats milk every four hours. They've got lots of hay, and they're sleeping in a carboard box with a heatpad and a towel. I think they're about three weeks old.
One of them at least now has diarrhoea. They've stopped taking milk completely. One of them now can't move properly - she tried to get out the box and fell on her back, and she couldn't manage to get on her feet.
Its 11pm, my nearest vet is 2 hours away. I don't have the money to get them checked out, and I can't get to the vet as I can't drive.

Are they going to die.

I'm sorry you've found yourself in this position. The babies may not be old enough to take solid food and as the mother isn't here to feed them they are at risk. If there is no vet nearby, do you have a rescue (wildlife or otherwise) available? These babies need to be seen by a vet a.s.a.p.

I'm sorry I don't know much about baby rabbits but hopefully someone else here can be more helpful. I'm going to flag up your post to the mods so response might be quicker.

Agree with MimzMum - if you can’t get them to a vet they need to go to a wildlife rescue that has experience of raising orphaned wild rabbits - whereabouts are you? I’ve spoken to a work colleague who’s mum runs a wildlife sanctuary and can pass on their details to you if you are near, it’s in Leicestershire. Otherwise search the internet for one near to you.

It sounds like they really need seeing tonight. Good luck xx

Back