• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly strike prevention

Lagomorphine

Warren Scout
Charlie and Willow had their vaccinations last Friday and the vet said I should consider having them treated against fly strike.

Now I'm glad to say that in 10+ years of keeping rabbits we have never had a fly strike problem but of course I accept that just because we have been lucky so far we might not always be lucky. Summer is coming (apparently), there are horses and sheep in the field just behind our garden, so there will be a lot of flies around. But our rabbits are not neglected and we take their hygiene seriously.

The problem I have is that the vet suggested Rearguard and having read the instructions, basically I would have to sponge the rabbits' rear parts. Now Willow and Charlie are garden rabbits and whilst they accept us humans happily as the purveyors of fine food, they are not cuddly bunnies by any stretch of imagination. They don't run away when I go near them but they really don't like being touched, let alone being picked up. I don't think subjecting them to the process of sponging their nether regions will go down very well. We can do it if we absolutely have to, but it would seriously damage our status as friendly creatures.

However, looking at other options, I noticed that there are sprays available like the Beaphar Fly Guard spray and Johnson's Fly Strike Protector. These sound more promising because I think we would be able to use them, eliciting only the "flick of the hind leg", "you-are-dirt" response, rather than a total destruction of trust. But maybe these are not quite as effective, so I thought I's ask your opinion. What is your experience with the sprays? Are they effective enough or shall I put Charlie and Willow through the sponge ordeal?

Charlie and Willow had their vaccinations last Friday and the vet said I should consider having them treated against fly strike.

Now I'm glad to say that in 10+ years of keeping rabbits we have never had a fly strike problem but of course I accept that just because we have been lucky so far we might not always be lucky. Summer is coming (apparently), there are horses and sheep in the field just behind our garden, so there will be a lot of flies around. But our rabbits are not neglected and we take their hygiene seriously.

The problem I have is that the vet suggested Rearguard and having read the instructions, basically I would have to sponge the rabbits' rear parts. Now Willow and Charlie are garden rabbits and whilst they accept us humans happily as the purveyors of fine food, they are not cuddly bunnies by any stretch of imagination. They don't run away when I go near them but they really don't like being touched, let alone being picked up. I don't think subjecting them to the process of sponging their nether regions will go down very well. We can do it if we absolutely have to, but it would seriously damage our status as friendly creatures.

However, looking at other options, I noticed that there are sprays available like the Beaphar Fly Guard spray and Johnson's Fly Strike Protector. These sound more promising because I think we would be able to use them, eliciting only the "flick of the hind leg", "you-are-dirt" response, rather than a total destruction of trust. But maybe these are not quite as effective, so I thought I's ask your opinion. What is your experience with the sprays? Are they effective enough or shall I put Charlie and Willow through the sponge ordeal?

Personally I have never used any Flystrike prevention treatments on a Bunny. I prefer to use fly netting/fly strips/citronella oil/electric fly zappers in the environment, as well as ensuring A* husbandry, rather than putting heavy duty chemicals on the Bunny.

Hi Lagomorphine :)

I've never used this stuff on a rabbit. I don't like putting on chemicals where I don't need to as they no doubt will be ingested.

I know a lot of vets recommend Rearguard, but I also know a couple of instances where it really was a bad idea. My thought about the other sprays you mention, I am not sure they will be effective enough?

I wouldn't use preventative treatments like Rearguard. They are expensive, not always easy to use (especially Rearguard), need re-doing if the rabbit gets wet, and not without side effects (especially Rearguard). As with JJ, I would go for good husbandry. Clean bunny bottoms and living conditions do not attract the flies.

Flystrike is from the maggots of bluebottle type flies, but other flies carry other diseases that can affect rabbits - so treating for flystrike won't stop the rest, whereas good husbandry and checking the rabbits over twice a day will be more useful overall.

I have used the F10 germicidal wound spray with insecticide for a couple of vulnerable rabbits in the past. They were outside buns with major dental issues and surgically open wounds from jaw abscesses, which made them targets for flystrike, and they hated being indoors. It is cheaper, easier to use and can be used on any part of the body (including open wounds). It kills the eggs and maggots - but keep it well away from contact with cats.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/pub...-reg--germicidal-wound-spray-with-insecticide
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ets&field-keywords=f10+germicidal+wound+spray

Wouldn't use them :) just keep them nice and clean, and checks bums everyday x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

So long as the environment is kept clean, and buns are able to groom correctly the use of flystrike prevention is not needed.

Basil is a plant that is naturally repellant to flies... you could also use lavender plants to discourage flies :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

So long as the environment is kept clean, and buns are able to groom correctly the use of flystrike prevention is not needed.
Thank you all. I think I'll stay away from this stuff. The rabbits are healthy, we make sure their environment is clean and we check on them several times a day.

And yes, I would be worrying about them ingesting any chemical we put on them, as they groom themselves all the time.

Back