• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD vaccine worries

hazza

New Kit
Hi.

On Saturday morning we had our LionHead (Harry) rabbit vaccinated for VHD. On Saturday night he seemed very subdued and off his food. We tucked him up in his snug for the night. This morning I went out to see him, he is still subdued in his snug. He has also have not used his litter tray. He seemed very stiff so I brought him indoors to the warm. After a while he used his toilet and had a small nibble on his favourite food but still very quite.

All the information on the net about VHD vaccine says there are hardly any side affects but could Harry be reacting to the vaccine?

Hi Hazza, poor Harry!

Although I've never had a rabbit which reacted to the Cylap (VHD) vaccination, it can have side effects in some buns, usually lethargy and generally feeling poorly for a couple of days. If he's starting to eat and poo now, that's a good sign. However, keep a close eye on him for the next couple of days and if you're worried, take him to the vet again and explain your concerns. Did you wait the required minimum two weeks between his myxo jab and this one?

Thanks for the reply Lynda. Harry seems a bit better now but I will be keeping him in today where I can keep a close eye on him. He did have the myxo jab 2 weeks ago.

-------

Hazza

Evo was very poorly the first time he had the vaccine (last year), lethargy and being off his food were the main symptoms. This year I made sure I had loads of his favourite foods to tempt him, but luckily he wasn't so bad this time, and I managed to keep him eating. I hope Harry feels better soon.

Harry is back to his naughty self. Pushing and throwing all his toys around. He also wants to be involved with everything that is going on.

I did get concerned yesterday lunchtime when he was just sitting in the corner and making load grinding sounds. His probably had a made hangover!! I know all about them.

Thanks for your reply.

Hazza

BTW how do you upload Photo’s?

After reading your post I am a little nervous about having these jabs done.

I am getting a rabbit tomorrow - 9 week old Lionhead and I called the Vet and was told that she is old enough to have the jabs and there had to be a gap in between them so she is going on Tuesday to have the first one (myxi I think).

Do you think it is too soon to get the injections, or better to let her settle in. Also what is the correct procedure for having these jabs done.

I presume the benefits of having these jabs outweigh the fact that it can make them feel under the weather for a couple of day.

Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks Carole

Back