• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Critical Care for GI Stasis?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Is it a good idea to feed critical care to a rabbit with potential GI stasis? I know that Plumpkin isn't right but the vet is closed now and also tomorrow. I'm assuming that there are emergency vets in my area which I will look into if I get really worried.

Just wondering what I can do from home to make her as comfortable as possible and also help at this moment?

My assumption is that her overgrown teeth are causing her discomfort and have lead to her lack of diet. However, her op isn't until the 25th because she apparently needs two weeks between her vaccinations and the operation. I'm planning on calling up to ask if there's any way it can be sooner.

I didn't think this poor girl would be in such bad health when I saved her. Any advice is really appreciated <3

Personally I would give critical care if she’s not been eating. Also a bowl of water rather than a bottle to encourage her to drink. It must be stressful for you having taken her on and now having vets bills and the worry of her health, so keep posting as we’re all behind you. You did the right thing as if you hadn’t had her, she’d be going through all this on her own and without her owner noticing. Xx

Is it a good idea to feed critical care to a rabbit with potential GI stasis? I know that Plumpkin isn't right but the vet is closed now and also tomorrow. I'm assuming that there are emergency vets in my area which I will look into if I get really worried.

Just wondering what I can do from home to make her as comfortable as possible and also help at this moment?

My assumption is that her overgrown teeth are causing her discomfort and have lead to her lack of diet. However, her op isn't until the 25th because she apparently needs two weeks between her vaccinations and the operation. I'm planning on calling up to ask if there's any way it can be sooner.

I didn't think this poor girl would be in such bad health when I saved her. Any advice is really appreciated <3

Is she still passing poo ? The important thing to be sure of before syringe feeding is that the Rabbit does not have a GI tract obstruction and that their stomach is not distended/bloated. Syringe feeding in those situations has the potential of doing a lot more harm than good and until a Vet has been consulted only water should be given orally.

I hope that Plumpkin can have the Dental before the 25th as it seems to be essential now. More vibes being sent xx

How is Plumpkin today Beapig?

You can syringe feed water and also Infacol to help her pass the gas, but until the vet has ruled out the possibility of a blockage, it's often unwise to syringe food. I may have said this on your other thread?

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

I agree with calling and trying to get things moved sooner, as it sounds like it could be a teeth issue.

Has she done any poos for you?

Last edited:
Thank you very much everyone for the advice, I'm sorry I haven't got back to you sooner! You're all so kind to take the time to advise me. I've written a long response on the main Plumpkin thread, but to answer your question about poops MM, she is still passing stools and they're looking bigger/better than they were a couple of days ago. No stasis thankfully, just a very bad tooth problem and general bad health from neglect - long update on the other thread <3

Thank you very much everyone for the advice, I'm sorry I haven't got back to you sooner! You're all so kind to take the time to advise me. I've written a long response on the main Plumpkin thread, but to answer your question about poops MM, she is still passing stools and they're looking bigger/better than they were a couple of days ago. No stasis thankfully, just a very bad tooth problem and general bad health from neglect - long update on the other thread <3

You're welcome.

I've seen and replied on your other thread ......... hugs and more hugs xx

Back