• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio and quad musings......

orangediva

Mama Doe
Just musings really - but for those of you who have trios/quads

- what mix of sexes do you have?
- how much space ie square footage do they have?
- did you bond them as babies ie litter mates or older buns?
- any pitfalls or particular issues different to normal bonding?

I was thinking, if (and it’s a big if) I went for it I’d go for one neutered male and two (or three) spayed females ie litter mates? If I started with the male in the accommodation that will become permanent would that reduce the risk of territorial spats? If I bonded in neutral space as usual?

Many thanks if anyone reads this and has any advice to offer :)

I have not! *goes off to look*

More info on bonding:

Mischief and Tinker’s Mum
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462466-How-I-bonded-my-trios-videos!

Also, Mairwen Guard has put some brilliant bonding videos on YouTube which are well worth watching :)

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

This is written by a member of the Forum:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...How-I-do-rabbit-bonding&p=6934868#post6934868

Currently, I have a trio - Athena, Rivergrace, and Erasmus. They have a 4x4ft run with a 4ftx2ft hutch atop, attached to a 6ftx8ft run, with a 6ftx2ft hutch atop. Without the pipe, it's 84sqft approx. Their 4ftx4ft run was previously 4ftx10ft, but several panels failed so we had to shrink it. Within a month, I'm hoping to add another 4ftx4ft hutch to their set up, maybe losing the 6x2ft hutch as the roof has failed.

Athena, River, and Mus are 2 girls and a boykin. Athena I've had the longest. None are related. Athena and River were the females in a short-lived 2 male/2 female group. Unfortunately Takumi passed after a month or so, Apollo following soon after. Athena and River didn't have a stable relationship as a pair, so I adopted Mus. He put them in their place very quickly and a year and a half later, Mus's ladies are thick as thieves. Athena is approx 3 and a half now (had her 3 years), River is assumed to be about 5 and a half, Mus is completely unknown; his vaccination card implies 3/4ish but he could easily be older. In all honesty, adding Mus was one of the easiest bonds I've had. He calmed the girls down within 24 hours, and by a month later, they had their full set-up (it was new to all 3 of them at the time.)

I've also had a quad in that (then) 108sqft set-up. That was Elphie (female), Helios (male), Selene (female), and Morningstar (female). So, 3 does, 1 buck. Elphie lost sister Galinda at age 6, grieved immediately and hard. I acquired H and Sea together, was told they were 7 months old siblings at the time (2 and a bit year ago). More likely an ex-breeding pair. H had been neutered, Sea's 8 week old litter was being sold at the same time. They bonded immediately to Elphie - 1 grooming each ear at the same time! Sea had a pregnancy scare, was briefly separated but rebonded to H and Elph immediately. Morning then fell out with River - and ended their relationship. I tried Morning with the then-trio and she got on great with them. It was Morning's introduction that really pulled Elphie out of her post-Galinda grief. The quad was deliberately separated when Elph was beginning to struggle in her first Winter without Galinda, and Selene was diagnosed with a liver tumour. Selene shows no sign of ill health so I eventually had to bond her back with H so she could live outside, while Morning came back in for Elphie.

Morning (now assumed to be 5.5) and Elphie (turned 8 in January) have since been bonded with Arce (female, approx 6, could be older), Yuki (male, approx 4) and Niji (male, approx 2) to form a quintet of 3 does, 2 bucks. Arce lost sister Iris, began feeling lonely 3 weeks after. We'd reserved Niji, but Arce needed company so we chose to adopt Yuki, and still have Niji to bond in one group whenever he was ready. Arce and Yuki were love at first sight. Niji integrated fairly well. We then chose to integrate the 2 indoor groups about 6 months later. Arce and Elphie seem to share matriarch duties now. They all live mostly free range upstairs now. They spend 90% of their time either in their hay boxes in my room, or chilling in the hallway.

Apart from the brief Arce/Yuki/Niji grouping, I've pretty much always had more does than bucks. I've never really had a problem that way. I pretty much always bond in small neutral space, then small resident space, and gradually increasing it.

If I'm feeling brave, I might even be trying a supergroup of the outdoors rabbits this coming summer, and connect all their set-ups into one over time. :)

Last edited:
I had Joey & Boo -adding in Mouseypie later, so a MFF unrelated trio here. In terms of space they technically have the run of the house but only Boo makes use of it.
I found bonding them difficult but looking back I should have trusted that boo had no venom in her, she was all bark & no bite. I tried small space bonding for a week, got fed up then chucked them in the lounge which previously was the main hangout area of J&B - I'd cleaned it as much as possible but Boo wan't fooled. I like having a trio of bunnies very much but I didn't always enjoy the process. I'd be tempted to do it again though. If I had enough money I'd get a fourth bunny

I’m a great advocate of trios. I’ve had three now - two MMF and one MFF. Introduced as adults apart from my MFF most recent one in which one was a 14 wk old baby. All very easy bonds - the girls were always the most difficult in all the bonds so I would lean towards multiples of boys more than girls.

Haven’t had a quad yet but I hope to at some point in the future - I find the dynamics of a group much better than that of a pair.

I love pairs of rabbits that are in love, and for Rescue and Rehoming purposes a group isn't always the best way to go.

However, for various reasons I have a group rather than a pair, and I added to it recently. I won't go into the ins and outs, but I am always willing (of course!) to help you with any bonding advice when you get nearer the time :D

I have a trio - originally a male pair (littermates) then added a female. I did attempt to add another to make a quad but it all went horribly wrong so I think I’ll just be sticking with a trio now! Their pen is approx 8ft x 6ft and they have the whole living / dining room when we are here to supervise.

I had a quad, I bonded 2 pairs, 2sisters and 2 brothers. They had a 6ftx5ft shed, with levels in it, and a 17ft x 10ft aviary run, with an additional hutch in there. The bond was easy, it was my first bond :shock::lol: but personality wise they were fairly similar, very rabbits rabbits that much preferred their own company, the girls were lively lion heads and the boys were half wildie bunnies, very lively, comical boys. They certainly made full use of the run, they thought it was binkytastic! One of the boys used to climb the mesh up to about 4ft high :shock:

I have a trio of 7 yr old rex sisters and I added a 2yr old male nethie (and a female mini lop but she fell out with Jet, one of rexes so I took her out). They live in an enclosure in a shed, of 8x4ft with an attached enclosed aviary run of 3x6ft with a tunnel to a 6x 8 ft run. So total of 98ft sq? My other trio, currently being bonded is 2 males and a female, all non related. I bonded Dave and Lucy and now a professional bonder is adding in my new male. They’ll have a 6ft x3 ft double hutch plus aviary of 8ft by 6ft, so total of 84ft sq. Both set ups have a runaround tunnel attached to a run on the grass but this is not open all the time. Only when I’m home due to digging out issues!

I have a quad. Two bucks who fell out just after being neutered and two does from a rescue (thank you barc).

The bucks were kept apart for a few weeks to forget about the falling out then reintroduced with the does added in. I did the bond in October, a less hormonal time of year. It went well and they have been happy ever since.

They have always had at least 10 x 6 feet of space. Currently a shed and run.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...now-a-quad-More-pics!&highlight=Bonding+began

Zoobec I remember your lovely quad, I had a soft spot for Dandy and Beano ...

Last edited:
I've got a quad of FFMM they are mum, dad, daughter and son. I don't know square footage but they have double hutches in a big U around the room with 7FT, 6FT, 5FT, 5FT joined with all the sides off so they can run the full length all through the hutches, go up the damp and run through them all up there. Plus they have 24hr access to the space outside the U of hutches. A quad FFFF mum and 3 daughters who have a 7FT x 6FT shed over 3 levels with 7FT x 6FT aviary. Trio FMM the two males are litter mates who have 5FT x 6FT shed with upper levels and 7FT x 6FT aviary. Bleu currently has all downstairs and fleur has all upstairs but hopefully the bonding works and they will have the full house apart from the indoor quads room.

Thank you for sharing my videos! :) I've had a fair few trios in the past and always seemed to work best when it was 2 males and 1 female. I had:

Mischief, Tinker and Jasper (MFM)
Mischief, Tinker and Hector (MFM)
Tinker, Hector and Theo (FMM)
Hector, Theo and Poppy (MMF)
Primrose, Reuben and Velvet (FMF)
Primrose, Reuben and Bertie (FMM)

My one trio with 2 females and one male did work eventually but the bonding was a lot more difficult as can be seen in my videos, there were quite a few aggressive fights. However, I persevered and it worked out. :) The only reason I went with 2 females that time was because I adopted an already bonded M/F pair to live with Primrose.

I lost Reuben last year so only have a F/M pair atm which is Primrose and Bertie but if I were to get another in the future it would 100% be a male.

Last edited:
I have to admit I really want a trio. The main reason for me is that it would mean my bunnies would never be without a companion. In a pair, when one sadly passes away, the remaining bun would be on their own until I can get them another friend which can sometimes take time. So far I haven't been brave enough to take the plunge because of fears of breaking up the existing bond my current pair have. However I think Tulsi makes a good point about the seasons. So I'm going to ponder it some more over the next few months. If I were to go for a trio bond Autumn/Winter might be the best time. I'd go for a MMF trio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to post and share your stories and advice - I have so much I want to reply to personally but don’t have time tonight so I will come back to this. I’m leaning towards trying for a trio (or even a quad, depending on the rabbits) but this will be in a couple of months at least. I’m picking up an un-neutered boy at the weekend, he will be neutered ASAP so we’ll see when he’s settled down after that. Thanks again for helping me everyone! I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions ;)

I lost Reuben last year so only have a F/M pair atm which is Primrose and Bertie but if I were to get another in the future it would 100% be a male.

So sorry you lost Reuben, I kind of fell for him in your videos, he was a real sweetie, bless him xx

I have to admit I really want a trio. The main reason for me is that it would mean my bunnies would never be without a companion. In a pair, when one sadly passes away, the remaining bun would be on their own until I can get them another friend which can sometimes take time. So far I haven't been brave enough to take the plunge because of fears of breaking up the existing bond my current pair have. However I think Tulsi makes a good point about the seasons. So I'm going to ponder it some more over the next few months. If I were to go for a trio bond Autumn/Winter might be the best time. I'd go for a MMF trio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean about the value of having a trio as opposed to just a pair. I bonded a trio last year, and idiot that I am chose the spring to do it! Having said that, because of bunny bereavement I didn't have a lot of choice.

This year I added in a fourth rabbit and guess what? I did it in the spring also :lol::roll:

I know what you mean about the value of having a trio as opposed to just a pair. I bonded a trio last year, and idiot that I am chose the spring to do it! Having said that, because of bunny bereavement I didn't have a lot of choice.

This year I added in a fourth rabbit and guess what? I did it in the spring also :lol::roll:

I'm also going to be doing it in spring lol.. I can't wait any longer though because the bedroom that fleur is in vets really hot in summer and I want her to have the option to come downstairs and into the garden when she wants.
I've made a little door for the Buns in my living room door and I have to keep it locked now indeed fleur gets out of the bedroom and comes downstairs. And plus bleu goes upstairs and torments her by scratching on the door.
I feel like I have to spend half the day in my bedroom so she is not lonely.

Thank you for sharing my videos! :) I've had a fair few trios in the past and always seemed to work best when it was 2 males and 1 female. I had:

Mischief, Tinker and Jasper (MFM)
Mischief, Tinker and Hector (MFM)
Tinker, Hector and Theo (FMM)
Hector, Theo and Poppy (MMF)
Primrose, Reuben and Velvet (FMF)
Primrose, Reuben and Bertie (FMM)

My one trio with 2 females and one male did work eventually but the bonding was a lot more difficult as can be seen in my videos, there were quite a few aggressive fights. However, I persevered and it worked out. :) The only reason I went with 2 females that time was because I adopted an already bonded M/F pair to live with Primrose.

I keep watching your videos to boost my confidence. My fleur behaves just like your primrose lol... I fell for little Reuben too, he liked to pick eyes just like my girl buttons. So sorry you lost him.

What actually counts as spring? For spring fever I mean? I’m likely to be doing it end of June-ish (if the buns I get later are already neutered/ spayed, otherwise it might be autumn!), am I safe then??!!

Back