• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two females - chasing

trudi

Warren Scout
Hi, I am trying to bond two females who have both lost their male partners over the last few months. One is 6 and one is 7. I had them living side by side for almost two weeks. There was a few nose to nose greetings by mainly they just carried on being bunnies.

I tried them in a 4ft by 4ft pen together and one was chasing the other, not constantly, but when it happened the one being chased kept jumping out the pen (had lid off so I could intervene if any fighting). Apart from the chasing there was no interest in each other. The one being chased was becoming stressed so decided to give them a go in a larger space the day after.

The chasing has continued, probably for about 30 seconds spells, about eight times in an eight hour session. They eat within about 2 feet of one another and most of the time are just lazing in corners opposite each other. The female been chased is really reluctant to move, as this starts the other one chasing her or even if she walks towards her without intending to chase the other one runs and that causes a chase.

There has been no fighting, a few nips and a little fur pulled, does it seem like I am wasting my time and they would be happier being separated? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If this was amale and female you were trying to bond then this behaviour would be normal and it would continue for about 3 days, when they would start settling down together. So, maybe this is what is happening with your 2 girls. Are they spayed?

Thanks for replying Tonibun. Yes they were both spayed when they were young. They have now been in a 9ftx9ft neutral space for 5 days, their behaviour towards each other in that time hasn’t changed.

Back