• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Castration of a 7.5 going on 8 Rabbit

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I think I know the answer, but has anyone had a rabbit of this age neutered with good results? I know the Rescues would neuter him but has anyone else had one done.

He had been an only rabbit for 7.5 years, then the son went to Uni and Mum has asthma and it was making her bad when she cleaned him out. So she advertised him on RR but no-one was really interested except a couple who would be keeping him in the barn alone :cry: And they weren't that sure because of his age, so I have taken him on. He's a real live-wire, thumps a lot and wouldn't eat any hay at first. He is eating more hay now. If you put him out he tends to circle your feet and he hasn't actually nipped me, but I am sure he thinks of it. So it looks like castration is the way to go. His previous owner said they could put his food in the hutch and he wouldn't wake up for it so I have been watching for any health problems but he seems ok to me.

He had been an only rabbit for 7.5 years, then the son went to Uni and Mum has asthma and it was making her bad when she cleaned him out. So she advertised him on RR but no-one was really interested except a couple who would be keeping him in the barn alone :cry: And they weren't that sure because of his age, so I have taken him on. He's a real live-wire, thumps a lot and wouldn't eat any hay at first. He is eating more hay now. If you put him out he tends to circle your feet and he hasn't actually nipped me, but I am sure he thinks of it. So it looks like castration is the way to go. His previous owner said they could put his food in the hutch and he wouldn't wake up for it so I have been watching for any health problems but he seems ok to me.

Yes, from what you've said I agree, and then he can have a friend and not be lonely into his older age x

Just after posting this thread I got a message on my MP from someone who said Rosie Hopper of Just Bunnies was wondering if she could adopt Smudge so I leapt at the idea. He had me up at 4 am this morning thumping! I was going to book him in for neuter next week, but now he is in Rosie's loving care. Rosie is a lovely bunny mummy and she has a single Nethie hoping for love. I so hope everything works out well for him. I met Rosie at the Vets this morning where he had a check-up and his first vaccs. It was like an answer to a prayer.

Just after posting this thread I got a message on my MP from someone who said Rosie Hopper of Just Bunnies was wondering if she could adopt Smudge so I leapt at the idea. He had me up at 4 am this morning thumping! I was going to book him in for neuter next week, but now he is in Rosie's loving care. Rosie is a lovely bunny mummy and she has a single Nethie hoping for love. I so hope everything works out well for him. I met Rosie at the Vets this morning where he had a check-up and his first vaccs. It was like an answer to a prayer.

I hope it works out too :love:

Back