• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips for successful nail clipping please!!

Jo93

Young Bun
I've had Twix for just over 2 weeks now and I'm conscious that I need to trim his nails. They have started to feel very scratchy now as well so definitely need doing..

We're lucky in the sense that there's two of us so should in theory make things easier right?!

We're just really struggling to find a way to do it... we can manage to keep him still, and I can take a hold of one foot, but before I can put the scissors in place, he twitches his foot away. It just seems such a handful to try and push the fur away to find the nail as well as get the scissors in place!

Aghh! I'm worried that the longer I leave it, the worse they will get...

Tips please!!

I've had Twix for just over 2 weeks now and I'm conscious that I need to trim his nails. They have started to feel very scratchy now as well so definitely need doing..

We're lucky in the sense that there's two of us so should in theory make things easier right?!

We're just really struggling to find a way to do it... we can manage to keep him still, and I can take a hold of one foot, but before I can put the scissors in place, he twitches his foot away. It just seems such a handful to try and push the fur away to find the nail as well as get the scissors in place!

Aghh! I'm worried that the longer I leave it, the worse they will get...

Tips please!!

You've some proper nail clippers, right?

I have a firm hold (there's just one of me so bunnies have to behave :lol:) but maybe one to hold and another to clip might work.

I also shine a flashlight under the nail so I can see the quick (unless the nails are white and then there's no problem seeing it). I have never cut the quick - the only time it happened was when my lovely vet cut my rabbit's nails! :lol:

Hi there, my vet showed me a good way to hold them, while a second person does the clipping.

I usually stand holding the rabbit with their back against my chest, with one hand under their front paws and the other across the front of the rabbit and securely between their back legs and usually my thumb around one leg - sounds complicated, but it really isn't, hope it makes sense.

Basically you can hold them really securely this way x

You've some proper nail clippers, right?

Yes I've got proper rabbit nail clippers, although I find them rather fiddly to hold so that's something I need to work on myself!!

We are trying it in a sense that one holds him firmly and the other goes in for the clip, but even this is proving difficult!

Yes I've got proper rabbit nail clippers, although I find them rather fiddly to hold so that's something I need to work on myself!!

We are trying it in a sense that one holds him firmly and the other goes in for the clip, but even this is proving difficult!

Show them you mean business ;) Firm but fair :)

I usually stand holding the rabbit with their back against my chest, with one hand under their front paws and the other across the front of the rabbit and securely between their back legs and usually my thumb around one leg - sounds complicated, but it really isn't, hope it makes sense

Yes I think I can imagine it :thumb:

We are actually working on picking him up, slowly starting by just picking him up under his front legs and lifting them up, and then going on to supporting his back legs/bum and picking him up completely - we've had a few successful attempts so far! I'm hoping this will help in him feeling comfortable with us holding him whilst we clip the nails?

Yes I think I can imagine it :thumb:

We are actually working on picking him up, slowly starting by just picking him up under his front legs and lifting them up, and then going on to supporting his back legs/bum and picking him up completely - we've had a few successful attempts so far! I'm hoping this will help in him feeling comfortable with us holding him whilst we clip the nails?

I'm sure you'll find a way by trial and error :)

I find that if you don't actually hold the foot itself, they can pull it away sharply and you don't actually get the clipping done!

I found this blog with a photo of what I was describing. Obviously this person is sitting, so it works sitting or standing and I find I can get a secure hold of them
http://bunnies-and-sunshine.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/bunny-mani-pedi-time.html x

We hold similar to this, apart from the bottom hand is behind them and not around the front between the legs. :lol:

OH holds and I clip as I've more experience and more confident when it comes to clipping.

These are the type of nail clippers I use as they're super easy scissor type with longer handle. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2530380411...9044913&device=c&campaignid=1057756799&crdt=0

There are two types of coat around the paws... long thin fur and slightly thicker fuzzy fur. So long as you don't clip shorter than that fuzzy fur you should be fine in terms of the quick ;)

We have to throw a lot of high value treats on the floor & then pick them up quickly before they realise what's going on.

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate you all taking the time to write back :D

I've just come back from the vets with him actually (un-related matter on another thread lol) and she said not to worry about doing them soon as they're not actually too long, so maybe I will start practicing with some of these positions, and by the time it actually comes to clipping them I will be more confident in doing it (she says very hopefully :lol:)

I found a very good trick is to put a netting, like the type satsumas come in, over each foot. This catches the fur and keeps it out of the way so as you can see the nail nice and clearly, without the fur getting in the way. It's a two man job in our house, I hold and husband clips. Good point about shining a light to see where the quick is, too.

I found a very good trick is to put a netting, like the type satsumas come in, over each foot. This catches the fur and keeps it out of the way so as you can see the nail nice and clearly, without the fur getting in the way. It's a two man job in our house, I hold and husband clips. Good point about shining a light to see where the quick is, too.

That's a really good idea :thumb:

The fur does get in the way of seeing the quick ...

Something you could try is operant conditioning like the zoos do. When I originally got my oldest pair I deliberately set out to make claw clipping less stressful on all of us so started out with just touching a paw and saying "paw" and offering a treat. After that I just gradually progressed to gently picking up each paw for longer and longer as well as spreading it gently apart to see between each toe and every time saying "paw" before putting it down again. Back feet are a little tricky so I just pick up the front part of the foot.

It made claw clipping a little easier for me as I don't have a rabbit nose in the way investigating what I'm doing and I get a little time to do what's needed. I just have Harley left of the original pair I tried this on and he just ignores me until he's had enough and pulls his paw away. My other two are a bit more of a challenge with this though; Sylvester is very fluffy on his paws and Logan does not do sitting still very well so personality can also play a part in this training.

That's a genius idea!!

Two man job in our house too. I hold Sonic, as he can't get away with as much with me as he can with others! We try do little and often to get him used to it, but he's 9 years old nearly and still hasn't got used to it, so I think we've missed our chance :lol:

Back