Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To spay or not to spay

Young Bun

Thanks for all your helpful advice. Looks like a trip to the vets for me and Clover, and Snickers for his vaccinations!🙄

Mama Doe

Yes but only with me staying awake through the night after the operation to make sure there was no chasing of humping. When a bun is vulnerable sometimes the strong one can try it on to show dominence. None of mine did but it can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitnovice View Post
    They are not vaccinated. I thought with them being house rabbits they wouldnít need to be, is that wrong?

Yeah you need to get house rabbits done too. These wretched illnesses are no respecter of indoor and outdoor!

Info on RHD2 - Filavac vaccine:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/own...estions/FAQRHD

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...rhagic-disease

And of course the one that's been around a good long while ... The Novibac combi vaccine.

It's advisable to have the two vaccinations at least week part from one another

Young Bun

Right, vaccinations and spaying it is.
    My two live in the utility room and have a kind of playpen in there which they go in if weíre out (itís a big one). Do you think my girl would be ok post-op if I kept her in the pen and let my boy have the run of the utility? That way they could still chat through the bars. Would she ever let him back in without a fight? How long before I could leave them alone together?
    Sorry for all the questions. The thought of fighting rabbits scares me

Right, vaccinations and spaying it is.
    My two live in the utility room and have a kind of playpen in there which they go in if weíre out (itís a big one). Do you think my girl would be ok post-op if I kept her in the pen and let my boy have the run of the utility? That way they could still chat through the bars. Would she ever let him back in without a fight? How long before I could leave them alone together?
    Sorry for all the questions. The thought of fighting rabbits scares me

Yes, chatting through bars is good

I am sure you could get them back together. I would leave her a couple of weeks and make sure she's all healed up. After that maybe move them to a new neutral area (kitchen? bathroom?) for a few hours or overnight. Then hopefully they will be loved up again x

Young Bun

Thanks. Will get them booked in for jabs and the op tomorrow xxx

We took both our buns to the vets when Pip got spayed. So they were only apart for her Op. We put them back in their pen when we got home and Archie looked after her. We did keep them both in their pen for a few days rather than letting have the whole room though.

We find they tend to only chase when they have more room or if one of them smells different. So if they both go to the vets they smell the same!

Good luck for tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Please please get her spayed, I know it's scary but it's very necessary. I always knew that females were very likely to get cancer as they got older, but I waited until one of my girls was 3 before I got her spayed, I thought she was still young. As soon as they shaved her ready for the operation they found a huge mass (I just thought my grandma had been over feeding her), she had ovarian cancer that had taken a kidney and was wrapped around her bowel. I had no idea anything was wrong but if I'd of waited any longer she'd probably be dead. The vet managed to get rid of all the cancerous tissue and it never came back luckily, but I'll never wait again to get a female spayed. Anyway that's the big reason, but yeah all those behaviours you described will probably settle once she has been spayed.

As others have said, house rabbits absolutely do need vaccinating. Insects that spread myxi can come in everytime you open a window or door, and VHD is spread in many ways, some people say house rabbits may be at an increased risk because they're more likely to come in contact with your shoes
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

I took Millie with Toby when she had her spay so they was together.

My bun Maple has just had her cancer removed and is recovering well. The first night she was a bit off then the next day she was back to her usual self.

We definitely worry more than they do. I'm glad she will be getting spayed. My vet said 80% of unspayed does over the age of three he has found cancer.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie