Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To spay or not to spay

Young Bun

Default To spay or not to spay

Hi, I have a male and a female rabbit who are about 14 months old. I have had them a year now, they live indoors and are best friends. I had the male neutered as soon as he was old enough but left the female. My reasons for this were that I didnít want to put her through the stress of an operation (sheís always been more timid than the male). I also didnít want to keep them apart as iíd hate for them to fall out of love.
    Anyway, the last month or so my female rabbit has become really naughty (hormonal?). She digs everywhere, spreads her litter all over, pulls her fur out to make little nests, mounts the male, wonít go back in her enclosure and thumps her feet when we try to put her back in.
    Iím wondering now whether having her spayed would help. Sheís happy enough, always leaping about and rolling around. Would spaying stop her crazy behaviour? Is it very stressful for them to be spayed. Would they remember each other when we put them back together?
    Thanks for any advice x
    Last edited by Rabbitnovice; 12-04-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Definitely spay. Itís likely to get more and more difficult to keep them together if you donít. PLUS the statistics for uterine cancer in unspayed females are horrific by the age of 4 or so. My almost four year old girl, who I was told was spayed when I got her but I always had my doubts, died of what the vet thinks was probably cancer, probably utterine, last year. Iíll never forgive myself for not pushing to confirm her spay when I got her and, personally, Iíd never risk it again. The benefits totally outweigh the risks IMO. Plus all the behaviours you describe are known to improve, if not disappear, after spaying!

Young Bun

Thanks for replying. I will have to man up and have her done by the sound of it...but look what good friends they are...[IMG][/IMG]

Oh that is soooo cute

They look so happy. I donít think itís too difficult to rebond after spaying but I must admit Iíve not done it myself, only bonded spayed/ neutered buns that werenít together before. There are a lot of people here who Iím sure can help you with that.

They are a gorgeous pair

Young Bun

Thanks, theyíre cute arenít they...when not digging in everything/eating EVERYTHING/generally destroying the place!!

Quote Originally Posted by orangediva View Post
    Definitely spay. Itís likely to get more and more difficult to keep them together if you donít. PLUS the statistics for uterine cancer in unspayed females are horrific by the age of 4 or so. My almost four year old girl, who I was told was spayed when I got her but I always had my doubts, died of what the vet thinks was probably cancer, probably utterine, last year. Iíll never forgive myself for not pushing to confirm her spay when I got her and, personally, Iíd never risk it again. The benefits totally outweigh the risks IMO. Plus all the behaviours you describe are known to improve, if not disappear, after spaying!

I agree

Info on spaying etc here:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/neutering/

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Are they vaccinated with *both* vaccines? Ie Novibac/Myxo and RHD1/RHD2?

Mama Doe

Maybe you wouldn't have to separate them if they are house buns and are able to keep close eye on them after the op. I've found my females recovered much quicker with their partner cuddling them.
    I couldn't cope if any of my girls hadn't been spayed. You have been lucky that she is only just showing her hormones. Mine were little terrors and I couldn't wait to get them spayed.
    Last edited by willow and squiggles; 12-04-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Young Bun

They are not vaccinated. I thought with them being house rabbits they wouldnít need to be, is that wrong?

Mama Doe

Not to frighten you but I lost 3 house buns to VHD. You bring it on on your shoes.

Young Bun

I thought iíd Have to keep them apart so thatís great if you didnít. Did yours go back in together straight away?