Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: To spay or not to spay

  1. #21
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Thanks so much for all the advice. Iím sorry to hear about those with rabbits whoíve not been spayed in time. I will definitely get her done x

  2. #22
    Warren Scout Preitler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Well, I think that cancer thing is blown out of proportion, if you start to look for evidence there's nothing proveable even close to the numbers always repeated by people with a pro-spay agenda. As far as I've read the rate is actually about max double as those of humans, about 20% (tumors in lifetime, not life ending cancer, that's still high, and we humans are closing in fast on that). It may depend on breed lines, but with the meat mutts here this is a complete nonissue.

    Anyway, that's not the point, if you want her as a pet spaying is a great idea. None of my 4 girls is spayed, and they go through their hormonell cycle regularily, it dominates their behaviour (including digging, marking, craving for being bred, dominance behaviour etc.) . And if there is any buck nearby (a wild one will do, it's unbelievable how good a fence needs to be to fend those off) they'll manage to get knocked up.

    Now my (intact) buck is my house bunny - perfect. Had a doe in my apartment for 8 months once (myxo quarantine), she destroyed everything, reduced all plinth to flakes and splinters - PVC and wood alike - , peed in every corner (closet, whatever), started to dig a tunnel straight into the wall - after 2" of plaster the bricks stopped her, any kind of cables were prey....

    There are lots of really good reasons to get a pet doe spayed. It really doesn't need that cancer scare.

  3. #23
    Mama Doe loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    3,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Preitler View Post
    Well, I think that cancer thing is blown out of proportion, if you start to look for evidence there's nothing proveable even close to the numbers always repeated by people with a pro-spay agenda. As far as I've read the rate is actually about max double as those of humans, about 20% (tumors in lifetime, not life ending cancer, that's still high, and we humans are closing in fast on that). It may depend on breed lines, but with the meat mutts here this is a complete nonissue.

    Anyway, that's not the point, if you want her as a pet spaying is a great idea. None of my 4 girls is spayed, and they go through their hormonell cycle regularily, it dominates their behaviour (including digging, marking, craving for being bred, dominance behaviour etc.) . And if there is any buck nearby (a wild one will do, it's unbelievable how good a fence needs to be to fend those off) they'll manage to get knocked up.

    Now my (intact) buck is my house bunny - perfect. Had a doe in my apartment for 8 months once (myxo quarantine), she destroyed everything, reduced all plinth to flakes and splinters - PVC and wood alike - , peed in every corner (closet, whatever), started to dig a tunnel straight into the wall - after 2" of plaster the bricks stopped her, any kind of cables were prey....

    There are lots of really good reasons to get a pet doe spayed. It really doesn't need that cancer scare.
    It's not trying to scare people, we are just sharing real life experiences that could of been avoided had the bunnies been spayed earlier.

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    Bam & Charlie

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    It's not trying to scare people, we are just sharing real life experiences that could of been avoided had the bunnies been spayed earlier.

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Absolutely Loobers. Iíll keep advising it and passing on my story, thanks. Yep there are many other reasons to spay but I see the cancer risk as just as important as all the the others.
    The best known rabbit vet in the UK, Richard Saunders, quotes the 80% figure - thatís good enough for me rather than what random people on the internet say.

    http://kanin.org/node/182
    Last edited by orangediva; 13-04-2018 at 09:51 PM.

  5. #25
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    st helens england
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    I've had the heartache of losing enough rabbits without the extra and avoidable worry of thinking my buns could get cancer. I know they can get other cancers but at least I can protect them from one cancer.
    I wish an operation could prevent all the other things that have killed my babies.

  6. #26
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quick update. Clover is booked in for spaying next Friday...yikes!! The vet was really kind and said that Snickers is welcome to go with her to keep her company. Fingers crossed it all goes well xx

  7. #27
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    40,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitnovice View Post
    Quick update. Clover is booked in for spaying next Friday...yikes!! The vet was really kind and said that Snickers is welcome to go with her to keep her company. Fingers crossed it all goes well xx

    Ah I will be thinking of you both

    Yes, a companion is always a good idea on hospital visits

  8. #28
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    st helens england
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitnovice View Post
    Quick update. Clover is booked in for spaying next Friday...yikes!! The vet was really kind and said that Snickers is welcome to go with her to keep her company. Fingers crossed it all goes well xx
    Awww that's great. I'm sure she will love the company.

  9. #29
    Mama Doe loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    3,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitnovice View Post
    Quick update. Clover is booked in for spaying next Friday...yikes!! The vet was really kind and said that Snickers is welcome to go with her to keep her company. Fingers crossed it all goes well xx
    Yayayay

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    Bam & Charlie

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •