Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor-Indoor (Temporarily)

Default Outdoor-Indoor (Temporarily)

Hey guys!

(If you want to skip the backstory go to paragraph 3)

So today I woke up and saw that my poor Toffee has huge chunks of fur missing and some really inflamed skin with spots of blood here and there, there was fur all alongside the hutch/run and Pebbles was all ok (They were both happy with each other so it wasnít a fight) but then we took Toffee to the vets! We assumed it was from where she keeps going behind the hutch, they bite there so there must be some sharp bits and they arenít meant to go behind there so it is quite a small space so we think she got stuck and ripped a ton of fur out and scratched herself on it...

When we got there she said that we should keep Toffee inside because we didnít want it to get infected, she told us sudocreme (because it was almost like a nappy rash for a baby), salt water to clean it and she gave us an anti-inflammatory/ Pain-killer medicine to feed her through her mouth. We were ok with everything but we needed to buy a small temporary thing for her to live in, inside. We thought that if we bought that and then let her go in the run on the slabs in the day then she would get enough exercise but we definitely didnít want to keep her outside because then when the hot weather comes and flys come too, she could get a fly related infection/illness. This is what we got:
    As you can see, I have put a toy bunny to hopefully stop her missing her mate Pebbles!

I was wondering what I could do to make sure that moving from the outdoors to indoors (which was done quite quickly and immediately) as least stressful as it can be. Her movement is like her normally self but her eating is a lot less enthusiastic and her going to the toilet is a lot different and a lot less, the main difference is her poo is darker and smaller. At the start when she had come home from the vets, her breathing was very rapid but that is quite normal. I have kept her out of a different room than the cat when we arenít there to supervise and I have tried to make sure that there isnít any loud or scary noises!

Some pictures of Toffee (If you guys would like some then I will add some of her injuryís):

P.S I did try to get one of her grooming the toy rabbits but failed sadly

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Toffs and Pebbs; 11-04-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    Toffee and Pebbles are BAAEE

personally I wouldn't want to split them as she's probably very lonely and missing her bunny friend, plus you don't want to break their bond. how bad is her wound? as she'll likely be much happier back outside in her hutch with her friend, plus if being inside is all new to her this will likely scare her and might make the heeling process longer.

When I was younger we had a bunny who had a bad wound and we left her outside but checked on her constantly, plus all her bedding was throws so she didn't get any swadust in it. She was a nightmare anytime she came in the house and hated it so was much better outside and found her wound heeled really quickly.
    Last edited by Ruthyjones89; 12-04-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

I’m also wondering if separating is the best thing if they definitely aren’t fighting - it does sound like she’s really missing Pebbles. If you want her indoors as the vet recommended could they not both stay in - perhaps with puppy panels to make a little enclosure round the cage?

Sending vibes for a quick recovery xx

Another vote for keeping them together from me.

Hope she recovers quickly and that they comfort each other.

Toffee is a beauty isnt she? Love how you got her a dutch rabbit toy!

Another vote for keeping them together.

I don't want to advise against your vet - However I will say if the enclosure is kept clean and she has access to warm & dry areas the risk of infection shouldn't be any higher keeping her outside.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    I'm doing the Race For Life 5k in aid of Cancer Research on the 8th July. If you'd like to sponsor me, please do at the following link: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.o...e-for-life-204

I wouldn't separate them, can make things worse

I'd bring them both in, and make a larger area for them to be in together x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthyjones89 View Post
    personally I wouldn't want to split them as she's probably very lonely and missing her bunny friend, plus you don't want to break their bond. how bad is her wound? as she'll likely be much happier back outside in her hutch with her friend, plus if being inside is all new to her this will likely scare her and might make the heeling process longer.

When I was younger we had a bunny who had a bad wound and we left her outside but checked on her constantly, plus all her bedding was throws so she didn't get any swadust in it. She was a nightmare anytime she came in the house and hated it so was much better outside and found her wound heeled really quickly.
    These are some very bad pictures of some of the skin:
    , I am constantly checking on her and where she would be outside isnít exactly the driest and cleanest place at this time of year so I thought that it would be nicer to keep her indoors when we can, I will try to get her out in the run as much as I can because that would help probably. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by orangediva View Post
    Iím also wondering if separating is the best thing if they definitely arenít fighting - it does sound like sheís really missing Pebbles. If you want her indoors as the vet recommended could they not both stay in - perhaps with puppy panels to make a little enclosure round the cage?

Sending vibes for a quick recovery xx
    Thank you, Iím hoping she will recover quick too xx

Hi

You guys have all said about keeping my two buns together but the only thing Iím worried about is if Pebbles and Toffee are licking it, that canít make it any better. And I would be worried about space for both of them. I do agree that they probably are missing each other and I definitely do not want to break their bond, do you guys think it would be a good idea to maybe when Toffee goes in the run, put Pebbles with her too? So they do get to see each other but not 24/7? Thank you all again!

Quote Originally Posted by tulsi View Post
    Another vote for keeping them together from me.

Hope she recovers quickly and that they comfort each other.

Toffee is a beauty isnt she? Love how you got her a dutch rabbit toy!
    Thank you, I do think she is quite pretty too! I am quite happy I matched the breed too! I wasnít even sure if I had a rabbit cuddly toy from my childhood collection until I looked!