• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small red lump on mouth - please help :(

I've only just noticed today that Twix has a small red lump on his mouth... :(

I have no idea what it is and am panicking! He's still eating and drinking fine, poops are normal and seems to be his normal self!

Any suggestions as to what it is??

Thank you

cGF0aDovSU1HLTQ5NjJfenBzNHhjdzlsMWEuanBn

cGF0aDovSU1HLTQ5NjJfenBzNHhjdzlsMWEuanBn

I can't see your pics Jo?

In their absence, you could look at these links?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syph_gen.html

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/myxomatosis/course

http://binkyabout.com/nodular-myxomatosis-in-rabbits/

I'm having some trouble with the pics - sorry! new to the forum!

There should be a link there now to photobucket?

Ah yes it looks red and swollen, doesn't it?

Is it getting bigger and more sore?

I still think there might be something in one of my links that might help. Rabbit syphilis or nodular myxi.
However, a vet (rabbit savvy one) might be able to help more and I'll have another think :)

Has he been vaccinated recently?

Ah yes it looks red and swollen, doesn't it?

Is it getting bigger and more sore?

I still think there might be something in one of my links that might help. Rabbit syphilis or nodular myxi.
However, a vet (rabbit savvy one) might be able to help more and I'll have another think :)

Has he been vaccinated recently?

Yes he had his first set of vaccinations last week (he's only 10/11 weeks old) but seemed fine for the first few days after having them?

I just hate to think it's something I've done to cause it :( he has a lot of rough toys he likes to chew on, could this be making it worse?

Yes he had his first set of vaccinations last week (he's only 10/11 weeks old) but seemed fine for the first few days after having them?

I just hate to think it's something I've done to cause it :( he has a lot of rough toys he likes to chew on, could this be making it worse?

It could be a reaction to the vaccination, in which case it should settle down within three weeks.

In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent.

However, it could also be caused by the fact that he's rubbed his nose on something rough, as you say.

You could give your vet a call. I would speak with the vet, as a receptionist is unlikely to know what you're talking about and may insist on a consult. (You may not need to pay for one)

Sending you and Twix some positive vibes. It is never a bad idea to check with your vet. If it is nothing to worry about it will give you peace of mind, and if it is something that needs treatment the sooner the better.

Sending you and Twix some positive vibes. It is never a bad idea to check with your vet. If it is nothing to worry about it will give you peace of mind, and if it is something that needs treatment the sooner the better.

I agree, hopefully all will be well but a Vet consult is usually the best option in this sort of situation :)

Thank you all - I called the vets and of course, the receptionist was reluctant to let me speak to one of the vets over the phone and insisted I book an appointment... :roll:

I know it sounds mean, but I'm going to be annoyed now if I pay for an appointment and it turns out to be nothing?

Thank you all - I called the vets and of course, the receptionist was reluctant to let me speak to one of the vets over the phone and insisted I book an appointment... :roll:

I know it sounds mean, but I'm going to be annoyed now if I pay for an appointment and it turns out to be nothing?

No, it doesn't sound mean at all. Most of us have to pay our own vet consultations, and as it may well be a reaction to the vaccination I would hope a vet would speak with you first about it.

Personally, I insist on speaking with a vet, or failing that, you could ask for one of the nurses. A receptionist usually has no idea of all the issues concerning all the animals that come into a vet's surgery.

I understand that it sometimes means you have to take time off from work (sometimes they are reluctant to allow you to go), gather up your pet for a stressful ride, and then pay a fee for what may be nothing. That being said, I suspect slight differences in the look, feel, even the bunny's reaction to the exam will help the vet determine if it is nothing or worrysome.
I hate to pay for an appointment when it turns out to be nothing to worry about. However, I have experienced how quickly a bunny's condition can change; so I usually make the appointment, pay the money and think of it as paying for an education if the same thing happens again with the same or another pet.

Good luck at the vets. I hope your bunny will be fine.

Last edited:
I understand that it sometimes means you have to take time off from work (sometimes they are reluctant to allow you to go), gather up your pet for a stressful ride, and then pay a fee for what may be nothing. That being said, I suspect slight differences in the look, feel, even the bunny's reaction to the exam will help the vet determine if it is nothing or worrysome.
I hate to pay for an appointment when it turns out to be nothing to worry about. However, I have experienced how quickly a bunny's condition can change; so I usually make the appointment, pay the money and think of it as paying for an education if the same thing happens again with the same or another pet.

Good luck at the vets. I hope your bunny will be fine.

Excellent post .

Good luck at the Vets Jo93

Thank you all - we've just come back from the vets

She reckons it is most likely just a scratch or cut from something he has tried chewing or eating (I did mention I had bought him a new "edible" house which seems quite sharp in places to me, but he loves it!). She said there are no signs of any infection or it being something more serious.

She gave me an anti-inflammatory to give him for a week, and said if it doesn't clear up in a week, to go back

I'm happier now to know that its most likely just an accidental scratch and not something worse :)

Thank you all - we've just come back from the vets

She reckons it is most likely just a scratch or cut from something he has tried chewing or eating (I did mention I had bought him a new "edible" house which seems quite sharp in places to me, but he loves it!). She said there are no signs of any infection or it being something more serious.

She gave me an anti-inflammatory to give him for a week, and said if it doesn't clear up in a week, to go back

I'm happier now to know that its most likely just an accidental scratch and not something worse :)

Great, I'm glad the visit has put your mind at rest and that it was worth it :)

Back