• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pressure & Release - Adapting horse techniques for Rabbits?

HouseOfRabbit

Warren Scout
Been doing some browsing on Tube and accidentally found a channel called Thinks Like a Horse a while back that talks about using pressure and release on horses in order to get them to do what you want by using horse language to communicate.

Sounds kind of strange and not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'd be interested to find out if anyone else had noticed, attempted or was maybe interested in trying the idea behind pressure and release to round rabbits up or redirect them at all? What made me think of it was drawing a sort of equivalent with rabbits to horses with both being social prey animals.

Channel is here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwdVL0L9ljq3McWMXWrUVdg if anyone is interested (some rummaging required). Prior warning though the guy can be a bit umm :roll: sometimes but does make sense.

The reason I'm asking is that recently I've noticed that when I let Harley loose and needed to round him up that I was sort of using the same horse pressure technique ie walk towards him on an angle to get him to go in the direction I wanted and release ie stand still to let him know he was going in the right direction whilst saying pen at the same. End result is Harley in his pen pretty unstressed with a pellet as a reward every time he does this. Please note I'm not being "a big scary arm waving & jump up and down human" but just seem to be applying direction + word + food reward.

I obviously could be wrong about this and I seem to have trained Harley to do go back to his pen accidentally however I've done it but thought it might be an interesting idea to discuss.

Back