• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What makes Rabbits so special?

MightyMax

Banned
And I have no idea of the answer, because I haven't been able to put my finger on why some people get addicted to rabbits and others can 'take or leave' them...:?

For me I think because they are quiet, no barking or attention seeking (my last cat was terrible for this, and he got on my nerves for it), they are funny to watch, clean (relatively!) and because they are so like their wild cousins it's like being friends with a wild animal, one who chooses to spend time with you. Mine have lots of cute habits, lying stretched out, binkying in the garden, etc. I spend a lot of time just watching xx

I don't know, but I've loved rabbits since I was a child, most of my cuddly toys were bunnys (still are :roll:) I still get excited when I see wildies in fields. I've just got one bunny now, Treacle, and I could sit and watch her, or play with her for hours. Maybe I was a bunny in an earlier life :D

I just don't know what it is, MM. I miss mine very much - I used to feel honoured when they ran to me and begged for nose rubs as soon as they heard the back door open. I just loved to watch them playing, digging, sleeping, eating, slurping from their water bowl, sitting upright with ears cocked when they heard a sound I couldn't hear, I was fascinated by everything and felt privileged that they were living with me and felt so relaxed when they heard my voice. I don't think I'll ever get over the way my bunny caring years came to such an abrupt end.

They have such funny personalities :)

They're so sweet, and when you win ones trust and they bond with you.. Wow

Also they're crazy cute, Clementine and Atticus have the cutest white bellies, when they're flopped out, bellies on show, I actually don't know what to do with myself [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

They are just so vulnerable and precious...

They have such cute personalities

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I just don't know what it is, MM. I miss mine very much - I used to feel honoured when they ran to me and begged for nose rubs as soon as they heard the back door open. I just loved to watch them playing, digging, sleeping, eating, slurping from their water bowl, sitting upright with ears cocked when they heard a sound I couldn't hear, I was fascinated by everything and felt privileged that they were living with me and felt so relaxed when they heard my voice. I don't think I'll ever get over the way my bunny caring years came to such an abrupt end.

Like you, I feel a sense of honour and privilege. If they lick me on the face I feel I am an honorary rabbit and there can be no greater honour :love:

They seem to have a very genuine streak which I identify with. Just now I walked into the kitchen where an infirm bun was snoozing on a warm bed. To my surprise there was another bun acting as an enormous pillow and laid alongside him for physical support. No bunny had done this before, it was the one I have newly bonded into the group. It was something so simple and yet so genuine that it touched my heart :D

I am sorry your bunny caring years ended as they did. Who knows what the future may hold, but you have enormous stuff to deal with on a day to day basis and we can only manage so much. Hugs Babsie xx

For me I think because they are quiet, no barking or attention seeking (my last cat was terrible for this, and he got on my nerves for it), they are funny to watch, clean (relatively!) and because they are so like their wild cousins it's like being friends with a wild animal, one who chooses to spend time with you. Mine have lots of cute habits, lying stretched out, binkying in the garden, etc. I spend a lot of time just watching xx

Certainly they are quiet :)

I wonder whether people might say that some of their rabbits *are* attention-seeking though.
What do you think? Is it just the way we interpret it, or are they not really divas?
I don't know the answer :lol:

This is a great question and one which in my humble opinion, has no definitive answer. We are each, all different. We like different places, homes, people and so on. What some of us like as pets, others might not. I've only been a member here for 6 months or so but on that time, what I have seen in massive evidence, is a genuine and overwhelming amount of love and devotion from the community here. So the first part to any answer is simply a common theme of wanting to love and respect another animal, whether that be rabbit, dog, cat or any other pet. I sort of 'fell' into the world of looking after rabbits. Our first one was roaming the streets and people thought it was ours as we had a small group of Guinea pigs. I felt a deep rooted desire to give the stray bun a safe home. It deserved nothing less from us and it was clearly looking for that safety. 'Max' was instated into the family and had a delightful personality. For me, rabbits are under stated. They are complex creatures and they have been bread down from the wildies over generations. To me, they make excellent garden pets-by which I mean they like to freely roam our garden, eating grass (and the occasional plant!) and are in a semi natural environment but also safe. I love watching them interact socially (bit tricky at moment as not successfully bonded Lillian and Henry yet) but they form friendships and bonds as strong and as enviable as we humans do. They also do seek attention from us as guardians of them and they place their trust and at times their lives with us. I don't and never view them as cute cuddly things in that sense. They have personalities and souls and have a right as much as anything else to enjoy as safe and happy life as we can give them. I treasure the company that my rabbits allow me and still feel tremendous heartache and sorrow for rabbits that have gone to the bridge and left gaping holes in my heart. Personally I feel a sense of responsibility to give what I can back to the little bunnies that deserve to have their lives filled with love and security, warmth and food and if I can do that, then I feel that it is my way of helping to make a rabbits life better than the one it had previously.

I have had rabbits which are as good as angels. I had a rabbit called Clover and she was 100% goodness. I never saw her do anything wrong and when her sister got pregnant and dug a nesthole, Clover insisted she stay by the hole all night before her sister had the babies in the morning, and she looked at me as if to say, I hope you understand but |I have to do this. I have had the most amazing experiences like one day I had lost something and was looking for it, one of the buns looked at me and ran round the back of the dustbin and when I looked, the thing I was looking for was there! Melissa knew when I was about to go out to get them in as she had gone in by the time I got there - her sister was a bit of a rebel and still sat there, so Melissa would come back out and chase her in. I have seen rabbits "talking" to one another, not often but twice or three times. They like to be very close to another rabbit and don't flirt with another bunny, they are very loyal. I could go on but something coming on TV!

Not sure exactly what it is for me. I like - and feel an affinity for - most animals and generally I’d say I like animals far more than I like an awful lot of people. I’ve had and loved dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters (Syrian, dwarf and roborovski) as well as looked after a foster rat for a friend.

There is something about bunnies though - and I’m not sure what it is. I was obsessed with them as a child from about the age of 7. I was finally allowed one at the age of 13 and he was my best friend through my teenage years even though I now hate the fact he was a hutch bunny just let out when I could - how all bunnies were kept in the 1980s as we had no internet or RWAF to teach us any better. They are just lovely animals, I love to watch them. In fact I “waste” so much time when I should be gardening just watching mine! Feeding them, cleaning them out, just spending time with them and just generally making them comfy and happy gives me great satisfaction and makes my day better. My favourite time of day is going out last thing at night to hand feed them their fenugreek crunchie and say night night. They are very special in so many ways.

This is a great question and one which in my humble opinion, has no definitive answer. We are each, all different. We like different places, homes, people and so on. What some of us like as pets, others might not. I've only been a member here for 6 months or so but on that time, what I have seen in massive evidence, is a genuine and overwhelming amount of love and devotion from the community here. So the first part to any answer is simply a common theme of wanting to love and respect another animal, whether that be rabbit, dog, cat or any other pet. I sort of 'fell' into the world of looking after rabbits. Our first one was roaming the streets and people thought it was ours as we had a small group of Guinea pigs. I felt a deep rooted desire to give the stray bun a safe home. It deserved nothing less from us and it was clearly looking for that safety. 'Max' was instated into the family and had a delightful personality. For me, rabbits are under stated. They are complex creatures and they have been bread down from the wildies over generations. To me, they make excellent garden pets-by which I mean they like to freely roam our garden, eating grass (and the occasional plant!) and are in a semi natural environment but also safe. I love watching them interact socially (bit tricky at moment as not successfully bonded Lillian and Henry yet) but they form friendships and bonds as strong and as enviable as we humans do. They also do seek attention from us as guardians of them and they place their trust and at times their lives with us. I don't and never view them as cute cuddly things in that sense. They have personalities and souls and have a right as much as anything else to enjoy as safe and happy life as we can give them. I treasure the company that my rabbits allow me and still feel tremendous heartache and sorrow for rabbits that have gone to the bridge and left gaping holes in my heart. Personally I feel a sense of responsibility to give what I can back to the little bunnies that deserve to have their lives filled with love and security, warmth and food and if I can do that, then I feel that it is my way of helping to make a rabbits life better than the one it had previously.

Very thoughtful Craig. They are lovely little creatures that we've kind of 'brought in from the wild'

I had someone say to me the other day that they were 'tragic' creatures, and I can see what they meant ...

I have had rabbits which are as good as angels. I had a rabbit called Clover and she was 100% goodness. I never saw her do anything wrong and when her sister got pregnant and dug a nesthole, Clover insisted she stay by the hole all night before her sister had the babies in the morning, and she looked at me as if to say, I hope you understand but |I have to do this. I have had the most amazing experiences like one day I had lost something and was looking for it, one of the buns looked at me and ran round the back of the dustbin and when I looked, the thing I was looking for was there! Melissa knew when I was about to go out to get them in as she had gone in by the time I got there - her sister was a bit of a rebel and still sat there, so Melissa would come back out and chase her in. I have seen rabbits "talking" to one another, not often but twice or three times. They like to be very close to another rabbit and don't flirt with another bunny, they are very loyal. I could go on but something coming on TV!

I bet you could write a book about the antics of your rabbits tonibun :D

You are very in tune with them. And they trust you :)

I love those long ears and inquisitive nature, how they interact with me & each other. Watching them has a zen like quality. That they are so quiet is my favourite thing

I love those long ears and inquisitive nature, how they interact with me & each other. Watching them has a zen like quality. That they are so quiet is my favourite thing

The interactions are what make them adorable - the more rabbits the more interactions. I could watch them instead of the TV. In fact I often do as they sit right under it :D

I don’t know exactly what it is about them, but I could sit and watch them do rabbits stuff for hours, they just make me happy.

I love their little personalities, and their quirks.

My other half complains that I refer to the rabbits as “the boys”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know exactly what it is about them, but I could sit and watch them do rabbits stuff for hours, they just make me happy.

I love their little personalities, and their quirks.

My other half complains that I refer to the rabbits as “the boys”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D

I just took 'my boys' out in the garden with me and videoed them having a hoot :lol:

Back