• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crusty eyes, normal?

Leannean27

Alpha Buck
Hello. I have had Luna a week now, the first day I got her (and since) she has had crust in her right eye like humans do after sleeping. Today she also had it in her left. Is this okay? I can’t see any discharge or leaking as I’ve had in a previous bun. She’s 9 weeks old now

Hiya,
I don't have an answer for you, but Twix has had the exact same thing you describe a couple of times since coming home with us (he is 10 weeks old). Its exactly like what us humans would have in the mornings and call "sleep". When he was at the vets, she said it could just be a case of something from his bedding getting in his eye but not to be too worried if it's not constant or consistently leaking a fluid..
Although I will be interested to hear others opinions :)

Hello. I have had Luna a week now, the first day I got her (and since) she has had crust in her right eye like humans do after sleeping. Today she also had it in her left. Is this okay? I can’t see any discharge or leaking as I’ve had in a previous bun. She’s 9 weeks old now

Hi there :wave:

It sounds like blocked tear ducts. When the white discharge dries, it turns crusty as you've seen.

Can you gently bathe both eyes with cooled boiled water? Sometimes gently pressing underneath the eye you can express gunk from the tear duct and wipe it away. Weepy eyes are sometimes long term and non life threatening.

The condition is called Dacryocystitis:

http://veterinarymedicinejournal.usamv.ro/pdf/vol.LVIII_4/Art16.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

A vet can flush the tear duct, and it varies between vets as to whether they feel the need to do this with or without anaesthetic. You can ring up and find out first, so you know what to expect.

2 of pixie and Daisy's babies had eyes like that. I did what mightymax just said and wiped daily with cool boiled water and it cleared in 3 days and has never been back. Hope she is fine xxx

Personally I would get the Vet to take a look as it sounds as though there may be a bit of infection going on given that the problem has now spread to her left eye too. It would also give you the opportunity to speak with the Vet about Luna's vaccinations, if you have not already done so.In the meantime you could gently bathe the eyes using cooled boiled water and a separate sterile pad to bathe each eye.

2 of pixie and Daisy's babies had eyes like that. I did what mightymax just said and wiped daily with cool boiled water and it cleared in 3 days and has never been back. Hope she is fine xxx

Yes I agree, this can sometimes clear things up quickly.

If not, a vet visit and some antibiotic eye drops will certainly help :)

How many times a day would you bathe the eyes just once or say morning and evening? I'm just about to do her now. I do need to sort out vaccinations etc but hoping to wait until I've got second bun next weekend so can do them both at same time as. Her eyes don't seem red or irritated in the slightest atm which I've seen in a bun before (teeth problem) think the vet gave me a gel to use a few times a day if I remember rightly, it was years ago now

How many times a day would you bathe the eyes just once or say morning and evening? I'm just about to do her now. I do need to sort out vaccinations etc but hoping to wait until I've got second bun next weekend so can do them both at same time as. Her eyes don't seem red or irritated in the slightest atm which I've seen in a bun before (teeth problem) think the vet gave me a gel to use a few times a day if I remember rightly, it was years ago now

Bathing the eyes twice a day should suffice, doing it too often can irritate the delicate skin around the eyes. As I said in my previous post, I would want a Vet to take a look to make sure there is not any bacterial infection going on. I'd also want to get the Vaccinations arranged ASAP as an unvaccinated Rabbit is at risk of both Myxomatosis and RHD1/RHD2. Just my personal opinion :)

Hi :wave:

I would do it twice daily, morning and evening, to avoid the build up of gunk.

Yes I agree it's a good idea to get both done together vaccination wise.

Sometimes vets give Isathal, which is like a gel in a tube - it's commonly used for eye conditions :)

I’ve found a vet closer to me that deals with rabbits, they even have separate waiting and kennel areas! (I’m on mat leave atm and car share so realistically needed to be within walking distance otherwise relying on weekend appointments) I’m going to call them in the morning and get Luna in Jacks Jane - you’ve been playing on my mind all day haha!

Apologies, I haven’t had a bun for a few years, the combined myxi/ rhd vaccine had just come out which my bun had once before he passed :cry:. What’s rhd2, is this another strain? I remember seeing something about a strain of something coming over from France a while back. I asked the vet at the time and she said it was all hype and nothing to worry about, is this it possibly?

I think it began with an F mighty max, like fibrofen or something unless I’m thinking of some other med she had!

I’ve found a vet closer to me that deals with rabbits, they even have separate waiting and kennel areas! (I’m on mat leave atm and car share so realistically needed to be within walking distance otherwise relying on weekend appointments) I’m going to call them in the morning and get Luna in Jacks Jane - you’ve been playing on my mind all day haha!

Apologies, I haven’t had a bun for a few years, the combined myxi/ rhd vaccine had just come out which my bun had once before he passed :cry:. What’s rhd2, is this another strain? I remember seeing something about a strain of something coming over from France a while back. I asked the vet at the time and she said it was all hype and nothing to worry about, is this it possibly?

I think it began with an F mighty max, like fibrofen or something unless I’m thinking of some other med she had!

RHD2 is another strain of RHD/VHD, you are right. Rabbits certainly do need to be vaccinated against it, and there's some info here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

This will probably explain things a bit more clearly :)

Also this .....

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rvhd2-update-august-2017/

I started a thread here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-5th-April-2018

But it's very long and you'd need several cups of tea to scan through it ;)

The old name for Isathal was Fucithalmic :)

Just one more thing ... when you get the vaccinations done, it's advisable to leave a couple of weeks between the myxo one and the VHD2.

The Novibac myxo also has VHD1, whereas the newer vaccine has VHD1 and VHD2.

Let me know if that's as clear as mud :)

Glad you are getting Luna vaccinated quickly :D

Here is the information on the two vaccinations she will need, they must be given at least2 weeks apart :

Nobivac Myxo RHD

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Filivac

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

Going a bit OT but for a lot of excellent advice about caring for Rabbits the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund's website might be a good idea to bookmark

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Hey, bun/s are booked in for their jabs (Luna tomorrow) and male bun 5 days after I've got him. Thanks both for the advice I'm about to read through it all now! As its been a while I am a little out the loop if I'm honest but I'm trying to get back up to speed. I do want to add a quick comment though. I called up two vets (the 2nd just to compare prices) but neither mentioned rhd2 vaccine. My local had to quickly ask a vet and said to wait a couple of weeks after the first and vets4pets rattled off the price as soon as she was questioned about it but no mention about a little wait. I may read it in all the info I'm about to read but just wanted to let ppl know they have to push slightly for this rhd2 vaccine...

Hey, bun/s are booked in for their jabs (Luna tomorrow) and male bun 5 days after I've got him. Thanks both for the advice I'm about to read through it all now! As its been a while I am a little out the loop if I'm honest but I'm trying to get back up to speed. I do want to add a quick comment though. I called up two vets (the 2nd just to compare prices) but neither mentioned rhd2 vaccine. My local had to quickly ask a vet and said to wait a couple of weeks after the first and vets4pets rattled off the price as soon as she was questioned about it but no mention about a little wait. I may read it in all the info I'm about to read but just wanted to let ppl know they have to push slightly for this rhd2 vaccine...

In a few less Rabbit Savvy Practices this may be the case, but really there is no excuse now as all Practices will have had a lot of information sent to them, unsolicited, to notify them about RHD2 and all it's implications. Also, when a Client calls a Practice it is obviously a Receptionist who is the primary contact., rather than a Vet/Vet Nurse. Whilst it is the responsibility of the Practice Manager to ensure that all Reception staff are up to speed about Vaccination advice/protocols there may be the odd occasion where-by this has not happened. Or a particular Receptionist may just not have been paying attention !

Yep, got to bug the receptionist! I've read the links apart from the RWAF - think I'll just keep that site open and flick about the site like I do this one :)

Back