• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Plumpkin Thread - Spay Tuesday 12th

Beapig

Mama Doe
For anyone who read my thread yesterday about the bunny in the tiny hutch...it has a happy ending! Today, Lady Plumpkin came home with me. My boyfriend and I agreed that we don't have the means to provide for another rabbit. So we're just going to be fostering her for a while until we can find her a forever home. The hutch she was living in was abominable so I couldn't just leave her there, for what could be a lifetime. She is already settling into her hotel well and has even had a binky! She also adores my cat, who is actually quite frightened of her because she's so big, haha.

20180406_113539 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20180406_114306 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20180406_115416 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

So I need some advice from everyone on RU. How do I go about responsibly rehoming Plumpkin? Obviously I want to make sure that she's going to a dedicated owner, where she will have a companion and a large amount of space.

Is there anything I should be doing within the next week now that she's in my care? E.g. vaccinations? Any advice very much appreciated. This was a pretty crazy thing to go ahead and do, but I can see already that I have made her life 10 x better. And that makes it so worth it to me!

Last edited:
She is gorgeous :love: I don't know how you are going to give her up to someone else, but .....

Anyway, first and foremost, yes she will need to be vaccinated, but I would also question whether she is in fact already pregnant again. You will have some idea as to how much you can trust what the owner told you. I would keep her completely separate from your other two and get a vet's opinion.

She is really lovely :love:

Aw bless her and you! You can never be 100% sure of where they might go but I hope she will be loved and cared for wherever she goes.

She is beautiful. I have a really big pink eyed white lop shaped hole in my life at the minute so will be watching Plumpkins thread with interest.

Hi Omi, how would I be able to tell if she's pregnant? She is very heavy, but she's a large rabbit.

I kind of got the full backstory today...the lady had two male rabbits. One of them died (she failed to mention this to me, but her young daughter told me about 3 times), and Plumpkin was given to her for free. Of course, they were just thrown in together and all of a sudden they had babies.

I was extremely firm with the lady and told her that the living conditions we unacceptable. The buck was full of energy and running around the garden, but he is being left out every night to fend for himself. 100% unacceptable. I feel that the lady really took on board what I was saying so I'm hopeful that the two she keeps (the buck and one male baby) get the life they deserve. I told her she should absolutely get the buck neutered and it's irresponsible not to.

I really couldn’t say right now - but potentially. She would need to be the right personality to be bonded into an already established pair but all the giants I’ve ever bonded have been so easy - they just seem so laid back.

I really couldn’t say right now - but potentially. She would need to be the right personality to be bonded into an already established pair but all the giants I’ve ever bonded have been so easy - they just seem so laid back.

Of course, well it's nice to know that someone might be interested. No matter what happens I can give her the love and care she needs until she finds her forever family :)

She's lovely, those ears! :love: if only I had the space! Well done for getting her out of where she was. Hopefully the lady will strive to improve conditions for her remaining boys now she's had a nudge about it!

She's lovely, those ears! :love: if only I had the space! Well done for getting her out of where she was. Hopefully the lady will strive to improve conditions for her remaining boys now she's had a nudge about it!

She actually just sent me a text thanking me for telling her how to look after them properly. So I'm really hopeful that their lives will improve as a result. It makes it feel even more worth it if two other rabbits will live a better life now!

Hi Omi, how would I be able to tell if she's pregnant? She is very heavy, but she's a large rabbit.

Just by doing the maths really, the average gestation period is 31 days, but to be absolutely safe I think it could be up to 35 days. The chances are that if the buck was apart from her when you went, that the owner separated them as soon as she had kindled. In which case Plumpkin won't be pregnant. However, if they were separated the day before you went, then she could be. The owner does sound a bit uninformed, but hopefully she will develop into a better owner now.

This has made me feel really tearful, you are a lovely person, thanks so much on behalf of this beautiful lady. :love:

She actually just sent me a text thanking me for telling her how to look after them properly. So I'm really hopeful that their lives will improve as a result. It makes it feel even more worth it if two other rabbits will live a better life now!

I really hope so, it’s not just Plumpkin you’ve helped. I didn’t sleep well last night, got lots going on, but thinking about the poor, loose buck in that garden was going round and round in my head.

Well done you :D

I hope she follows through on your good advice, and doesn't breed again.

That's a great result! Really you've helped 3 rabbits and any more she may potentially get in the future :love:

Beapig- I just want to say a massive thank you for stepping in and rescuing such a beautiful and delightful rabbit. Words simply don't seem adequate to acknowledge your massive heart and kindness and she is such a beautiful bunny. You can see it clearly in the first photo. I hope that you find room to home her but if you don't, I am sur you will make sure she goes to a home where she is equally loved. Bravo to you Beapig.

Im so pleased to read this! I was so hoping you’d collect her, she is SO beautiful. Wish I had the room....
I will certainly keep an ear open for anyone looking for a rabbit, a proper rabbit person that is!
You’ve really helped her and the other 2 rabbits, most people really don’t know how to care for a rabbit, they aren’t all bad people, so it’s lovely to hear you’ve helped the woman too.
You’re a lovely kind person xx

She is a beautiful bun and she looks really happy in her hotel. You have a very kind heart and I'm sure you will do the very best for her. I hope the lady has taken your good advise on board. I bet pumpkin thinks you are her angel.

How wonderful of you. She is absolutely gorgeous, you better find her a new home quick, she's bound to steal your heart

Back