• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparation for bonding

zoe2112

Young Bun
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for how to prepare Freddie and Margot for bonding? They had a successful week together and we were feeling quite cocky about how easily it had all gone and then Margot’s hormones kicked in. We’ve now had her spayed and are waiting for the hormones to leave her system and they are booked in to be bonded with someone nearby.

I live in a flat and Freddie has a bedroom and Margot has the hallway, they both get time in the lounge separately. They can see each other and have been showing more interest in each other through the gate which I have adapted so they can touch each other but are not able to nip through. Should I try switching the areas so Margot has Freddie’s room and Freddie has the hallway to help them become more familiar with each others smells or could this cause them to become more territorial? Unfortunately we don’t have a neutral area in the flat as they’ve both been free roam throughout the flat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’m desperate for this bond to go well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for how to prepare Freddie and Margot for bonding? They had a successful week together and we were feeling quite cocky about how easily it had all gone and then Margot’s hormones kicked in. We’ve now had her spayed and are waiting for the hormones to leave her system and they are booked in to be bonded with someone nearby.

I live in a flat and Freddie has a bedroom and Margot has the hallway, they both get time in the lounge separately. They can see each other and have been showing more interest in each other through the gate which I have adapted so they can touch each other but are not able to nip through. Should I try switching the areas so Margot has Freddie’s room and Freddie has the hallway to help them become more familiar with each others smells or could this cause them to become more territorial? Unfortunately we don’t have a neutral area in the flat as they’ve both been free roam throughout the flat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’m desperate for this bond to go well.

Hi there Zoe :wave:

When are you hoping the bonding to happen? I usually leave about 8 weeks post spay to begin bonding, to make sure hormones have settled, and wound healed etc.

I never do the swapping or dating, I just put rabbits together and watch like a hawk, but I know many people do that sort of thing :)

Hi there Zoe :wave:

When are you hoping the bonding to happen? I usually leave about 8 weeks post spay to begin bonding, to make sure hormones have settled, and wound healed etc.

I never do the swapping or dating, I just put rabbits together and watch like a hawk, but I know many people do that sort of thing :)

She will be 7 weeks post spay when they go in in a couple of weeks. When I adopted her I took charge of the bonding myself but when the chasing escalated I would panic and separate them, I think I do more harm than good as I’m so scared one will get injured.

She will be 7 weeks post spay when they go in in a couple of weeks. When I adopted her I took charge of the bonding myself but when the chasing escalated I would panic and separate them, I think I do more harm than good as I’m so scared one will get injured.

It takes nerves of steel and a zen-like approach with bonding sometimes. I don't blame you for panicking!

That bonding schedule sounds about right - good luck with it all :)

I've only done two bondings before but on the first I definitely found it was more my nerves affecting the bond than anything else. On the second bond I talked to them/ myself all the way through about how nice they were being to each other, how calm they were and how it was all okay etc and that was just to keep me calm! I personally wouldn't worry too much about swapping them about as they will already be able to smell each other but would definitely recommend putting some hay between them on the bit you have adapted if possible as I read a lot about getting them to eat together. I also read to keep the space small when they are put together but I'm sure someone a lot more experienced in bonding will help you out :D

Back