• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When you get a new rabbit ...

I found this from RWAF:

When bonding rabbits it is suggested to treat all rabbits involved in the bond with the longer 28 day course of Fenbendazole either before or during the bond. As aforementioned it is possible to also blood test first and only treat those rabbits that test positive, but if cost is an issue then it is recommended to treat prophylactically on the assumption that either or both rabbits may be infected.

It's so confusing, isn't it? :?

Also from RWAF:-

We do not recommend routine worming to prevent Ec as, like any drug, it can be harmful and should only be used when necessary. This should be discussed with your vet before using preventatively.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

Yeah I saw that too, but a bonding situation isn't 'routine' for most of us. "Routine worming" doesn't generally refer to a 28 day course, but rather the 9 days course, which some vets recommend.

It's really tricky to know what to do when even the vets can't agree on a way forward :lol:

Yeah I saw that too, but a bonding situation isn't 'routine' for most of us. "Routine worming" doesn't generally refer to a 28 day course, but rather the 9 days course, which some vets recommend.

It's really tricky to know what to do when even the vets can't agree on a way forward :lol:

Well, as I now only have Piggies I suppose it's nothing to do with me anyway.

Hi mighty max and all,

When my rabbit Harrison had EC, I was told by my previous vet that a 28 day course of panacur wouldn’t be necessary for Zigzag. But I administered a course anyway, as it’s better to be safe (based on info from a very wise rabbit carer)

I just wanted to know whether it’s wise to give him another 28 day course now that it’s been 6 months since I gave the last course and Harrison passed away?

Thank you x

Hi mighty max and all,

When my rabbit Harrison had EC, I was told by my previous vet that a 28 day course of panacur wouldn’t be necessary for Zigzag. But I administered a course anyway, as it’s better to be safe (based on info from a very wise rabbit carer)

I just wanted to know whether it’s wise to give him another 28 day course now that it’s been 6 months since I gave the last course and Harrison passed away?

Thank you x

Hiya :wave::wave:

Remind me, did you give the course *after* Harrison had passed? If so, I wouldn't do another course :)

I asked my vet and they said no point in panacur for new bunnies as only will work whilst the spores are shedding? He said can do blood test and if comes back positive there is no way to say if just a carrier like many buns are or a flare up with no symptoms? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I asked my vet and they said no point in panacur for new bunnies as only will work whilst the spores are shedding? He said can do blood test and if comes back positive there is no way to say if just a carrier like many buns are or a flare up with no symptoms? Xx

So you wouldn't do a Panacur for a new bun then? It doesn't seem very common for people to do a 28 day course, but I can see why - it's hard to catch bunnies when they know how foul it tastes :lol:

We don't Panacur unless a rabbit shows signs of worms ( very rare) or EC. Panancur has been pushed by manufacturer and vets to make money but over use of any med is not a good thing. The parasites will build up immunity as with our anti biotics.

So you wouldn't do a Panacur for a new bun then? It doesn't seem very common for people to do a 28 day course, but I can see why - it's hard to catch bunnies when they know how foul it tastes [emoji38]
I haven't done maple as I did wonder about this too. And I have a shop by me that I can buy it from so is easy for me to get. I personally think if it doesn't do any harm then why not for peace of mind? Or can it do harm? Xx

I haven't done maple as I did wonder about this too. And I have a shop by me that I can buy it from so is easy for me to get. I personally think if it doesn't do any harm then why not for peace of mind? Or can it do harm? Xx

I think any drug has the potential to do harm, and I am very careful how I use it, even though it has a pretty good safety profile.

However, in my household, a new bun getting Panacur means that they have it once in their lifetime. Unless there is a very good reason (and vet evidence) for them to have it again, I don't repeat it.

My vet recommends it but having attempted to get meds into Lopsy we haven't bothered attempting the horror :)

I never used panacur when getting a new bun. However, one rabbit i had developes head tilt at around 5yrs of age and i treated it with panacur as recommended by vet for EC. He never recovered, and died. I dont know if it was the side effects of the panacur or the EC or combo of both but it seemed completely ineffective on him.

I waited over a year before getting another bun. Now i have two and didnt panacur. They healthy and happy and eat. But now after just over a year old and after reducing and changing the pellets for science selective instead of burgess (as vet said they had molar spurs although no problems and no sore tongue) theyve both lost weight. Still happy and active but the conti has gone from 4kg to 3kg in 3 months and the dwarf lop has lost a bit too. The vet nurse said she doesnt want the conti especially to lose any more. Ive upped pellets but after a week still no weight gain really. Am thinking of changing back to burgess? Also it crossed my mind maybe they have worms and need panacur? Theres no head tilt and they very clean and healthy. Its got me thinking. I have ordered some panacur but am worried about it making them ill having lost the other bun whilst on it. Hmmm...

I never used panacur when getting a new bun. However, one rabbit i had developes head tilt at around 5yrs of age and i treated it with panacur as recommended by vet for EC. He never recovered, and died. I dont know if it was the side effects of the panacur or the EC or combo of both but it seemed completely ineffective on him.

I waited over a year before getting another bun. Now i have two and didnt panacur. They healthy and happy and eat. But now after just over a year old and after reducing and changing the pellets for science selective instead of burgess (as vet said they had molar spurs although no problems and no sore tongue) theyve both lost weight. Still happy and active but the conti has gone from 4kg to 3kg in 3 months and the dwarf lop has lost a bit too. The vet nurse said she doesnt want the conti especially to lose any more. Ive upped pellets but after a week still no weight gain really. Am thinking of changing back to burgess? Also it crossed my mind maybe they have worms and need panacur? Theres no head tilt and they very clean and healthy. Its got me thinking. I have ordered some panacur but am worried about it making them ill having lost the other bun whilst on it. Hmmm...

Is it possible you could put a photo of your CG on here so we could give you our opinions on whether he is under/over weight?

Pics

Is it possible you could put a photo of your CG on here so we could give you our opinions on whether he is under/over weight?

This link should show the pics of him next to the dwarf lop who they said is also on the thin side but not as bad.

http://imgur.com/oMLPBl2

http://imgur.com/W15G7nb

http://imgur.com/SHO0VUZ

http://imgur.com/hXne5Va

http://imgur.com/i3VZ9ZE

Last edited:
Back