• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Brown sticky marks left wherever he sits

Lauren25

Young Bun
Hi everyone, hoping that somebody can help me. Yesterday I noticed a large wet (but not really runny) poo in my rabbit's cage, I wasn't sure whether it was a cecotrope or not. It was the first time I had seen it and I've had him for almost a month now (I rehomed him, he is a 1.5 year old French Lop). Today, he has been out of his cage since 11am and has been his usual self, hopping around, exploring, and sleeping. I noticed that he was leaving a dark brown sticky, wet, trail behind him (hard to spot because my flooring is very dark wood). Wherever he sat, there was a runny brown liquid behind him on my floor, skirting boards, and all over the blankets and pillows that he likes to lie on. He is a very large rabbit (5.5 kilos) and does not like to be handled. I tried my best to have a look at his back end but I just couldn't. I tried for ages to get him into his cage before having to lure him in with a carrot (I only let him have a tiny nibble as I know diet could be a related issue) and I've had to close his cage while I clean up all the mess :(

In terms of diet, he eats the Science Selective pellets (100g a day, as recommended for his size). Unlimited amounts of hay and fresh water, with a few bits of carrot (the only veg he will eat.) This is exactly what he was having at his old home and I've had no issues since getting him. There has been no change in his diet and I've had him at the vets every week since I've got him (he's currently about to have his third injection for mites) and she says he is perfectly healthy in every way.
Does this seem serious? I will keep an eye on his litter tray and he is due at the vets tomorrow night for his injection anyway so will mention it. Is there anything I can do to help him? I really don't think he will let me near his rear end, we're still in the process of bonding.
Thanks in advance everyone.

Hi everyone, hoping that somebody can help me. Yesterday I noticed a large wet (but not really runny) poo in my rabbit's cage, I wasn't sure whether it was a cecotrope or not. It was the first time I had seen it and I've had him for almost a month now (I rehomed him, he is a 1.5 year old French Lop). Today, he has been out of his cage since 11am and has been his usual self, hopping around, exploring, and sleeping. I noticed that he was leaving a dark brown sticky, wet, trail behind him (hard to spot because my flooring is very dark wood). Wherever he sat, there was a runny brown liquid behind him on my floor, skirting boards, and all over the blankets and pillows that he likes to lie on. He is a very large rabbit (5.5 kilos) and does not like to be handled. I tried my best to have a look at his back end but I just couldn't. I tried for ages to get him into his cage before having to lure him in with a carrot (I only let him have a tiny nibble as I know diet could be a related issue) and I've had to close his cage while I clean up all the mess :(

In terms of diet, he eats the Science Selective pellets (100g a day, as recommended for his size). Unlimited amounts of hay and fresh water, with a few bits of carrot (the only veg he will eat.) This is exactly what he was having at his old home and I've had no issues since getting him. There has been no change in his diet and I've had him at the vets every week since I've got him (he's currently about to have his third injection for mites) and she says he is perfectly healthy in every way.
Does this seem serious? I will keep an eye on his litter tray and he is due at the vets tomorrow night for his injection anyway so will mention it. Is there anything I can do to help him? I really don't think he will let me near his rear end, we're still in the process of bonding.

It sounds as though he is not eating all his cecotrophs and he may also have a very mucky bum. Given that he also has mites I am wondering if he may have Dental problems. Mites can occur if a Rabbit is not grooming him/herself too well due to having a sore mouth and not eating cecotrophs/having a mucky bum can also be a sign of dental issues.

It sounds as though he is having rather a lot of SS. The recommendations given on the pack of almost all commercial Rabbit food is usually in excess of what the Rabbit really needs. You say that he has access to lots of hay, but how much of it is he actually eating ? Hay should make up 80%-90% of a Rabbit's diet.

These links may be useful to read :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/dirtysticky-bottom/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/dental-problems/

Thanks Jack's-Jane, I initially thought it may be dental problems causing his mites but the vet said his teeth are fine just two weeks ago. I will push to have another examination tomorrow. This also seems to be the first time he hasn't been eating his cecotrophs, I've kept a close eye on his litter since I got him and haven't spotted any up until now. He eats a lot of hay from what I can gather, I frequently see him munching on it - I fill up his hay rack and put a large pile in his litter tray (this is topped up at night). I've just followed the guidelines from the back of the packet (90-100g) and from the vet for the SS and this lasts him from about 9/10am to the early hours of the morning. Do you think I should gradually reduce his intake? I've been cautious in making any changes to his diet since rehoming him in fear that he might not settle but over this past week he has been so much more confident and trusting of me so now may be the time to introduce changes.

Hi Lauren

Have a look here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

II know you are experienced with rabbits, and runny poo isn't usually a cecotoph, though it may look like that once squashed down and stood on.

I've noticed that what you describe can certainly be dietary related, and the fact that he has mites can also be a contributing factor. Rabbits usually get mites when their immune system is somewhat depleted, so once he's back to full form again and the mites have gone, you may find the poo situation gets better.

I would see whether reducing the amount of SS has any effect, and if necessary consider switching to another pellet or fibafirst sticks. I had one of my rabbits on Burgess but he had exactly the same problem as your bunny and I had to change pellets until I found one to suit and the problem has never recurred.

Also, how much carrot would you recommend feeding him? Although he isn't overweight (according to the vet) when I went to visit him at his old home, he was given 3 full carrots all in one go, so I'm surprised he isn't overweight. I obviously don't feed him anywhere near that amount but I'm struggling to find a recommended amount online for larger rabbits. I'm currently giving him a couple of pieces a day but don't want to be contributing to any diet problems :( Is there a recommended amount for a rabbit his size and age?

Also, how much carrot would you recommend feeding him? Although he isn't overweight (according to the vet) when I went to visit him at his old home, he was given 3 full carrots all in one go, so I'm surprised he isn't overweight. I obviously don't feed him anywhere near that amount but I'm struggling to find a recommended amount online for larger rabbits. I'm currently giving him a couple of pieces a day but don't want to be contributing to any diet problems :( Is there a recommended amount for a rabbit his size and age?

To be honest I would cut out the carrot until you've solved the ceco problem, as it contains a lot of sugar :)

Thanks MightyMax, I'll definitely reduce his intake and look into switching pellets. I'll keep off the carrot until he's back to normal. The trail he was leaving was more like a dark sticky liquid, so I'm unsure whether it's cecotrope or whether he has an upset stomach. I'll mention it to the vet and keep an eye on him. Thank you!

Thanks MightyMax, I'll definitely reduce his intake and look into switching pellets. I'll keep off the carrot until he's back to normal. The trail he was leaving was more like a dark sticky liquid, so I'm unsure whether it's cecotrope or whether he has an upset stomach. I'll mention it to the vet and keep an eye on him. Thank you!

You're welcome :)

Hope the vet can make some useful suggestions.

A large rabbit doesn't necessarily need more food than a smaller one. I have a New Zealand and she has kept fine for 6 years on only a small amount of Muesli/pellets. She eats a load of hay and her poohs are always big and a good colour. She is possibly a little bit bigger than your rabbit and she gets about an eggcup full of pellets. She also gets apiece of Spring Greens each day or cabbage. Don't worry, you will get there. Hope the Vet's visit goes ok.

Thanks tonibun. I've reduced the amount he gets to about 3/4 of his bowl rather than filling it full and will gradually decrease it further if I feel like he doesn't need as much. I'm also not giving him any carrot for now. So far today he has been fine, his litter tray has been normal so I'm hoping that yesterday was just a one off and maybe he had a bit too much carrot? He's at the vets tonight so I will mention it anyway but so far, he's looking good :) Thanks for your help everyone

Thanks tonibun. I've reduced the amount he gets to about 3/4 of his bowl rather than filling it full and will gradually decrease it further if I feel like he doesn't need as much. I'm also not giving him any carrot for now. So far today he has been fine, his litter tray has been normal so I'm hoping that yesterday was just a one off and maybe he had a bit too much carrot? He's at the vets tonight so I will mention it anyway but so far, he's looking good :) Thanks for your help everyone

I am glad to hear that his poop problem appears to be resolving. I hope all goes well at the Vets xx

Glad to hear his output is improving :)

Good luck at the vet tonight :)

Back