• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive Grooming, Skin Irritation (Contains Pic)

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
A week or so ago I noticed that as Chloe hopped she was kicking her back legs out oddly. I didn’t think much of it at first but the following day she didn’t want to come out. I thought perhaps her arthritis was getting worse. Her fur was damp on her head and on either side of her body where she had been continually grooming herself.

I took her to the vets on Good Friday where she had her legs thoroughly examined for breaks. She had a fur sample sent off to the lab to look for mites which came back negative. In addition she had her teeth checked and nails clipped. I mentioned that she had recently fallen off her step awkwardly (possible bad back?) and the vet advised me to increase Loxicom to twice a day and see if she improves.

Since then things have got worse, her mobility is very poor and when she does hop she kicks her back legs so high that she stumbles. She looks like a drowned rat and will not stop grooming, causing very irritated looking skin in certain areas. She has a healthy appetite (thank goodness) and is still using her litter tray, although I've had to move it into her main area so it's easier for her to access.

I have no idea what could be going on, the excessive grooming is particularly baffling as I've never seen behaviour like this before from Chloe.

She has a vet appointment this evening :(

chdhFwf.jpg

Last edited:
Poor little girl, she looks really sorry for herself. No idea what it could be (except has she had any X-rays as she has had the fall?) but just wanted to send vibes, hope she’s feeling better soon xx

Poor Chloe :( I hope that the vet can provide some clues as to what is going on. Sending your lovely girl massives of vibes.

A week or so ago I noticed that as Chloe hopped she was kicking her back legs out oddly. I didn’t think much of it at first but the following day she didn’t want to come out. I thought perhaps her arthritis was getting worse. Her fur was damp on her head and on either side of her body where she had been continually grooming herself.

I took her to the vets on Good Friday where she had her legs thoroughly examined for breaks. She had a fur sample sent off to the lab to look for mites which came back negative. In addition she had her teeth checked and nails clipped. I mentioned that she had recently fallen off her step awkwardly (possible bad back?) and the vet advised me to increase Loxicom to twice a day and see if she improves.

Since then things have got worse, her mobility is very poor and when she does hop she kicks her back legs so high that she stumbles. She looks like a drowned rat and will not stop grooming, causing very irritated looking skin in certain areas. She has a healthy appetite (thank goodness) and is still using her litter tray, although I've had to move it into her main area so it's easier for her to access.

I have no idea what could be going on, the excessive grooming is particularly baffling as I've never seen behaviour like this before from Chloe.

chdhFwf.jpg

:cry:

Have her ears been thoroughly checked ?

Poor little Chole, I hope the vet can get to the bottom of her issues. Sending vibes for your precious little girl xx

chdhFwf.jpg

Oh no I am so very sorry to hear this :( Poor little Chloe, and you must be distraught x

The things that come to mind are that she is in pain from something somewhere and is therefore overgrooming. I know her teeth have been checked, but sometimes there's something going on at the back that can't be seen. She may be producing a lot of saliva and that's making her fur so wet.

The other possibility is that she has some ear infection that's causing her considerable pain.

I wonder if the vet will put her onto Tramadol to see whether a different pain reliever might make a difference?

I am so glad to hear about her appetite. It may be that the arthritis has been triggered worse, but I hope that the vet can get to the bottom of it and that you will have some peace and a possible way forward after tonight.

Hugs x

Bless her. I have no advice but am wishing you and Chloe all the best for her vet appointment this evening.

Keeping her in my thoughts. x

eta: My bridge bun Kirsty always appreciated a large Robinson's squash bottle filled with hot water and wrapped in a blanket - might be worth a try to see if it helps to relieve whatever may be causing your sweet bun's motility issues/ arthritis.

No X-Ray as of yet. I can't remember if the vet checked her ears, I'm sure she must have done though. I'll bring it up at the appointment this eve.

She's already on one Tramadol MM.

I'm not leaving the vets tonight until some sort of further action is taken. Hopefully she will be admitted into the hospital so they can run further tests and sort her out. It's extremely upsetting to have her home at the moment, knowing there's nothing I can really do to help her.

Thank you all for your vibes/ thoughts.

:cry: I hope the vet can give some answers and help her, sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

It's definitely a skin irritation of some sort, we linked it to when I started taking off her winter coat, I obviously upset her skin in doing so :( He thinks she's not moving much because her skin is sore around her legs from her messing with them which would explain the ridiculous hops.

She's got antibiotics, and I'm to keep removing the dead hair but only a bit each time. I feel a bit better now there's a plan in place. The fur close to her skin is like cotton wool. Are Angora buns more likely to have skin issues?

Do you think it's worth me trying out a comfy cone on her? Has anyone used one before?

Thanks x

It's definitely a skin irritation of some sort, we linked it to when I started taking off her winter coat, I obviously upset her skin in doing so :( He thinks she's not moving much because her skin is sore around her legs from her messing with them which would explain the ridiculous hops.

She's got antibiotics, and I'm to keep removing the dead hair but only a bit each time. I feel a bit better now there's a plan in place. The fur close to her skin is like cotton wool. Are Angora buns more likely to have skin issues?

Do you think it's worth me trying out a comfy cone on her? Has anyone used one before?

Thanks x

Angoras, like any long-haired animal, can get skin irritations if moisture is held against the skin. Fungal infections can develop, or even a bacterial infection. You were right to whisk her off to the vet :)

There's some info here, but *graphic photos* and also very severe cases. I'm not suggesting Chloe has this, but I was just studying fungal and other infections on your behalf just in case:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Fungal/Fungal_en.htm

https://rabbit.org/journal/4-9/skin.html

I hope you all have a peaceful night x

Morning MM, she's alright in herself. Still grooming constantly, she's taking Spring clean to the next level :roll:

Second day on antibiotics. Hopping hasn't improved but she's still getting to and from her water, litter tray etc. Still eating plenty. I'm still removing hair, I will upload some close-up pictures later today.

Thank you for the links on skin diseases, I'm keeping an eye on her skin to look for any changes. There's a lot of dandruff on her back.
Do you think it's worth putting on mite treatment anyway? Or could this cause more irritation at this time?

xx

Morning MM, she's alright in herself. Still grooming constantly, she's taking Spring clean to the next level :roll:

Second day on antibiotics. Hopping hasn't improved but she's still getting to and from her water, litter tray etc. Still eating plenty. I'm still removing hair, I will upload some close-up pictures later today.

Thank you for the links on skin diseases, I'm keeping an eye on her skin to look for any changes. There's a lot of dandruff on her back.
Do you think it's worth putting on mite treatment anyway? Or could this cause more irritation at this time?

xx

Dandruff as well, poor wee darling :(

Ask your vet before you put the mite treatment on. Yes it might cause irritation, but the mites could also be exacerbating the existing skin irritation. Let your vet make that judgement for you - can you put a phone call in?

Back