• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding update

joybell

Warren Scout
In my last post I had taken on a male mini Rex and going to attempt to bond him with my 3 other rabbits, 2 female and 1 male. All neutered. I have put new rabbit in the garden using a run around system but with fencing so that all the buns can see each other. The 2 females are not at all interested in the new boy, but the male is very interested and has taken to pulling fur out of the newbie. Archie newbie is very chilled and carries on eating grass or grooming himself whilst the other male is pulling fur. He has plenty of room to move away but seems to like pressing himself against the fencing when the other bun is on the other side. I am concerned about the fur pulling but there have been no injuries. I’m going slow with the bond and hope they get used to each other through the fence, before I even think about putting Archie in with them. Is the lack of interest by the girls a good thing?
Plan b is to get a neutered female from a rescue.

In my last post I had taken on a male mini Rex and going to attempt to bond him with my 3 other rabbits, 2 female and 1 male. All neutered. I have put new rabbit in the garden using a run around system but with fencing so that all the buns can see each other. The 2 females are not at all interested in the new boy, but the male is very interested and has taken to pulling fur out of the newbie. Archie newbie is very chilled and carries on eating grass or grooming himself whilst the other male is pulling fur. He has plenty of room to move away but seems to like pressing himself against the fencing when the other bun is on the other side. I am concerned about the fur pulling but there have been no injuries. I’m going slow with the bond and hope they get used to each other through the fence, before I even think about putting Archie in with them. Is the lack of interest by the girls a good thing?
Plan b is to get a neutered female from a rescue.

Hi joybell :wave:

It's always so difficult to say what the outcome will be until you actually put the whole lot together for a while and see what happens.

It's good that Archie is chilled - a very good sign that he's not roused to anger by the fur pulling :)

And lack of interest from the girls is an awful lot better than hostility at this stage!

I'd opt for Plan B :) But to answer your query, maybe the girls don't seem interested as they are leaving it up to the male as it's probably those 2 which would have to sort things out.

Archie new rabbit is very non aggressive and happy to cuddle, doesn’t mind being picked up which makes a welcome change for me! He would make a lovely house rabbit, but unfortunately is only liked by one of my 3 dogs. If I had a spare room I would keep him inside, but he craves company having lived a year on his own in just a hutch until he came to me. I would dearly like him to bond and be a happy rabbit with the others. I can’t bring any of them inside as they are used to free roaming in the garden from dawn to dusk. Fingers crossed for a happy outcome ��

Plan b is last resort as I would have to make major changes ie move one shed to the back of the house where there is a large patio area, large raised bed but no grass. Our main garden is at the front where the current buns live. It seems a shame they wouldn’t have access to grass unless I had a run around about 40 feet long! Can’t believe the stress!

Plan b is last resort as I would have to make major changes ie move one shed to the back of the house where there is a large patio area, large raised bed but no grass. Our main garden is at the front where the current buns live. It seems a shame they wouldn’t have access to grass unless I had a run around about 40 feet long! Can’t believe the stress!

I know, and pets are meant to relieve stress, aren't they?

Back