• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Low calcium water - filter?

JackieS

Warren Scout
Hi :)

We have just taken on a new bun who is now besties with our bun Axl....they have bonded well although she is unwell with UTI currently. We know from her previous owner that she has had occasional issues with bladder sludge before, so I’ve been doing my research about how best to reduce this. Low calcium water seems to have been recommended a number of times and I was wondering if there is a way to achieve this with water from home without having to buy bottled? Would water put through a BRITA filter achieve a similar result? (We have one of these at home already!)

Also she seems quite keen on biolapis (have been syring some alongside her recovery food) but you obviously don’t get much for your money any one box only lasts 6 days! I see some people have suggested avipro plus in water to encourage drinking, anyone had any luck with this?

Thank you!

There is no way of measuring the calcium content from Brita filtered water, and it varies so much depending on the calcium content to start with. If your water is very hard, like mine, it only reduces it down a bit. I can tell this by how often I have to descale the kettle. My guess is that it roughly halves the calcium content, but it is only a guess.

The lowest calcium bottled water that is quite cheap and easy to find is Tesco Ashbeck.

There is no way of measuring the calcium content from Brita filtered water, and it varies so much depending on the calcium content to start with. If your water is very hard, like mine, it only reduces it down a bit. I can tell this by how often I have to descale the kettle. My guess is that it roughly halves the calcium content, but it is only a guess.

The lowest calcium bottled water that is quite cheap and easy to find is Tesco Ashbeck.
I hadn’t thought about not being able to measure it! Doh!

We shop regularly at Tesco so getting ash beck shouldn’t be an issue if needed

Hi :)

We have just taken on a new bun who is now besties with our bun Axl....they have bonded well although she is unwell with UTI currently. We know from her previous owner that she has had occasional issues with bladder sludge before, so I’ve been doing my research about how best to reduce this. Low calcium water seems to have been recommended a number of times and I was wondering if there is a way to achieve this with water from home without having to buy bottled? Would water put through a BRITA filter achieve a similar result? (We have one of these at home already!)

Also she seems quite keen on biolapis (have been syring some alongside her recovery food) but you obviously don’t get much for your money any one box only lasts 6 days! I see some people have suggested avipro plus in water to encourage drinking, anyone had any luck with this?

Thank you!
I use bottled water for me and my buns because my water is really hard. I used to have a brita filter but was always replacing it often. And as Sarahp said you don't really know about how much calcium would be left. I would just stick to bottled water if you can or get one of those fancy brita filter taps fitted in the sink which I can't afford!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I actually spoke to my vet about this and he said just be careful with bottled water. He said make sure you stick to one brand only as they all contain different levels of minerals which would effect the gut. I also have low sodium which is volvic although pricey and really annoyingly isn't in many shops!

I actually spoke to my vet about this and he said just be careful with bottled water. He said make sure you stick to one brand only as they all contain different levels of minerals which would effect the gut. I also have low sodium which is volvic although pricey and really annoyingly isn't in many shops!

Interesting loopers - thank you for that! I don’t want to upset her tummy more, so when she’s recovered we’ll do some water changes bit by bit to be sure :)

They do have different levels but, unless you buy spring water, all the details are on the label.

They do have different levels but, unless you buy spring water, all the details are on the label.
Yes I would change the water slowly Jackie and make sure you can always buy the same brand.

I agee spring water! I couldn't find spring water round here but the only one I could find had added fluoride. Some baby waters are really good low calcium etc supposed to be gentle on tummys and around 20p a bottle however I again could only find ones with fluoride around here.

I did a course on fluoride of which I am happy to put it on humans but I wouldn't be happy for animals to be having it especially bunnies

Oh yes my vet said what about distilling your own water, boiling it and cooling it etc as he said I must be spending a fortune and to be fair I am and recycling is through the roof but again I just like to be on the safe side and have what's in it on a label x

Sarah is always my go to for advice about low calcium water !!

:lol:

I recently had a vet mention a list she had in a previous surgery with low calcium waters. I ended up having to say 'yes, that was written by me, I think!' :lol:

Yes I would change the water slowly Jackie and make sure you can always buy the same brand.

I agee spring water! I couldn't find spring water round here but the only one I could find had added fluoride. Some baby waters are really good low calcium etc supposed to be gentle on tummys and around 20p a bottle however I again could only find ones with fluoride around here.

I did a course on fluoride of which I am happy to put it on humans but I wouldn't be happy for animals to be having it especially bunnies

Oh yes my vet said what about distilling your own water, boiling it and cooling it etc as he said I must be spending a fortune and to be fair I am and recycling is through the roof but again I just like to be on the safe side and have what's in it on a label x

What bottled water have you found with fluoride added? The only bottled water that I've ever found with minerals added is Smart Water. Any other waters these days have minerals that are naturally present.

Most low calcium waters also tend to be low in other minerals too. Particularly fluoride, as natural fluoride is in the form of calcium fluoride (different to the type that is added in certain areas of the UK to water - weirdly no-one ever seems to be bothered about that for their pets, well I don't think I've ever seen a thread about it anyway).

I always quote SarahP for the latest and best low calcium water :)

I have a filter, so I don't keep up to date with the various varieties.

:lol:

I recently had a vet mention a list she had in a previous surgery with low calcium waters. I ended up having to say 'yes, that was written by me, I think!' :lol:

Haha, only just seen this! I was right to say you're the guru of bottled water :D

Haha, I'd better make sure I stay up to date then! :lol: I am such a freak - I'm always looking for new brands of water and reading the details. :oops:

What bottled water have you found with fluoride added? The only bottled water that I've ever found with minerals added is Smart Water. Any other waters these days have minerals that are naturally present.

Most low calcium waters also tend to be low in other minerals too. Particularly fluoride, as natural fluoride is in the form of calcium fluoride (different to the type that is added in certain areas of the UK to water - weirdly no-one ever seems to be bothered about that for their pets, well I don't think I've ever seen a thread about it anyway).
It was a weird foreign one in a shop called pound stretcher! I always look at the labels on water out of curiosity. Have you made a list? If so that's awesome!

My list is definitely out of date now, as there used to be a water called Isklar you could buy that's now gone. The lowest I've found is Deeside, then Tesco Ashbeck, then Volvic. I used to buy Deeside, but it's too hard to get hold of (Ocado and Waitrose, and they are often out of stock).

My list is definitely out of date now, as there used to be a water called Isklar you could buy that's now gone. The lowest I've found is Deeside, then Tesco Ashbeck, then Volvic. I used to buy Deeside, but it's too hard to get hold of (Ocado and Waitrose, and they are often out of stock).
Phew I'm so glad volvic was in your top three SarahP! Nice to know i am on the right track

Back